MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to PJL

MVM,

to PJL

Re: Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

said by PJL:

Thinkdiff, Tivo's is a nice guide view (I like the style), but not that much different.

I think the TiVo UI "looks nicer", but I agree they basically show the same information - that's why I was surprised by buckweet1980's comments that the FiOS guide is somehow better or shows significantly more information. Back when I had a FiOS DVR, it was running 1.8 and the guide was even worse and showed less info.
said by PJL:

Does Tivo have the second guide view that shows when you hit the guide view twice (the one that shows the channel guide across the top, the programs for the upcoming programs for the selected channel, the thumbnail of the current programming on the channel, a synopsis of the selected program, etc.)? The one guide shot you posted looks somewhat like it I guess. Just curious...

The picture I posted is small, but the TiVo Live Guide shows basically that, in a side-by-side format instead of top bar and middle list format. Here's a better picture:

The FiOS guide shows the channel icon, but the TiVo guide shows the currently airing program on the other channels so you can quickly page through the live guide's left pane to see all the programs on now. It's much faster and shows more useful information than the FiOS version (I don't find the channel logos very useful - prefer to have more program info, but I could see how some people like them)
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Thinkdiff, I pretty much concluded the same as you -- they're very similar and it's a matter preference if one is actually "better" than the other. Changes since 1.8 really made them "equivalent but different in look."
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff...

Was the checkmark next to "Cat People" in your screen shot a reminder to watch it? That is the BEST movie--not seen it in eons and I can still visualize it. The remake just sucked...'-}}

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by tlbepson:

Thinkdiff...

Was the checkmark next to "Cat People" in your screen shot a reminder to watch it? That is the BEST movie--not seen it in eons and I can still visualize it. The remake just sucked...'-}}

Heh, the checkmark does mean "record this", but that screen shot is from TiVo.com. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>thinkdiff: Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on

You're welcome...you are in for a treat. It's wonderfully and beautifully filmed and spooky as well. The 1982 remake was positively ghastly...'-}}
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Heh, the checkmark does mean "record this", but that screen shot is from TiVo.com. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on

Funny, I was going to ask you how the hell you get TCM-HD. Now I know. In the spirit of tlbepson, I was also going to remark about "Dead of Night", super movie, "Groundhog Day" before there was "Groundhog Day". Thank heaven they haven't tried to remake that (yet).