share rss forum feed

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

[H/W] Value

I'm looking into upgrading to a 3845 though most of the ones on e-bay in my price range are lacking in the following ways.

1. only one power supply
2. PWR-3845-AC and not a PWR-3845-AC-IP (IE wouldn't provide POE power via my ether switches)

the only listings for the PWR-3845-AC-IP tend to be as much as the router with the non-ip power supply

so I was thinking, if I were to sale my 3745 how much might I expect to get? would it help cover the cost of buying a 3845 w/ the right power supplies?

my 3745 has all 4 power supplies (IE both AC and both inline power) plus I have a spare chassis/MB/ and the other board and two flask modules and its maxed on ram, I would also be able to include a NM-1GE with copper gbic.

I think for a 3845 plus two PWR-3845-AC-IP's it'll likely be 600-800 on ebay

so what are the odds this might work?
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
said by DarkLogix:

my 3745 has all 4 power supplies (IE both AC and both inline power) plus I have a spare chassis/MB/ and the other board and two flask modules and its maxed on ram, I would also be able to include a NM-1GE with copper gbic.

Last time I priced a maxed out 3745, think it was in the neighborhood of a $400-$500, but didn't include the NM-1GE,
nor do I recall if it had dual power supplies.

Is the reason you're asking that you're trying to get the 3845 because of the quieter fans, DarkLogix See Profile ?

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
a 3845 would allow me to have 4x etherswitches thanks to the on-board gig interfaces

plus more cpu power
plus I'd be able to put the door back on my server rack (right now the gbic sticks out to far to put the door on.)
--
semper idem

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

allow me to have 4x etherswitches thanks to the on-board gig interfaces

Okay.. I just have to ask... 4x NM(E)s w/ 36-48int connectivity, just WHAT are you doing with that?!
If its just to geek out / because you can, GO FOR IT!, buy it now... and regret it later!

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
geek out and redundancy.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
BTW the layout of my network is the following

3745 with 3x NME-16ES-1G-P's and 1x NM-1GE
then on the router I have the 4 gig interfaces configured as such

gi 1/0 10.254.254.1 /30
gi 2/0 Public statics from comcast
gi 3/0 10.254.254.5 /30 (I plan to revise this to 9)
gi 4/0 10.254.254.13 /30

then the etherswitches have the other IP in those ranges on a vlan interface
and the internal gig interface of the etherswitches are as such (with the one in slot 3 needing to be updated)
slot 1 vlan 251
slot 3 vlan 253 (might be 252 atm)
slot 4 vlan 254

then all 3 have the external gig interface connected via trunk to my 2960g

and recently I've added vlan 250 using the range 10.254.254.16/29
then with OSPF enabled on ip and ipv6

so with a 3845 I'd be able to stop using the NM-1GE and get a 4th etherswitch

I also hope to sometime get a L3 switch (like a 3750 or a 3560) and then move my access vlan interfaces to thatso it would go through the 250vlan to get to the router and it'd be load balanced over all 4 router interfaces.
--
semper idem

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix
Why not just get a pair of decent, standalone switches, instead of modules for a router?

Ive always bee a fan of leaving routing to routers and switching to switches.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
said by TomS_:

Why not just get a pair of decent, standalone switches, instead of modules for a router?

Ive always bee a fan of leaving routing to routers and switching to switches.

I think because routing capabilities on Cisco 3560 and 3750 switches are limited. For instance the switches only support VRF lite while 3845 router support the standard VRF routing.

Perhaps a better bang is to get Juniper SRX firewall that can do BGP, VRF, L2 VPN, Spanning Tree, and security in one box

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit
reply to TomS_
Because you can't put 2 router interfaces in the same subnet, and a 3745 only has FE ports built on

this way the modules are only doing intervlan routing (which a L3 switch can do faster than a router.)

the modules run the same IOS as a 3750 switch (but only have effectively 2 gi interfaces and 16 fe interfaces

also for now I'm powering my 1242AP via POE from one of them.

sure with say a 3945e (which has 4 GE interfaces) I could effectively do the same by connecting each to a port in a different vlan (and a 3945e is way outa my price range), but even a 3845 only has 2 GE interfaces so with one taken by the link to comcast I wouldn't get the multiple paths.
--
semper idem

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
I did say *decent* switches.

That would leave only edge cases to the router, like to/from the Internet, doing things that the switches cant do, like NAT.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well my 3745 is doing all the heavier stuff like nat

currently the 3745 is connected to a comcast SMC D3 via a NM-1GE with a copper GBIC and the 3745 is doing nat.

so the modules are just doing the simple stuff

with the 250vlan I'll be able to reconfigure the interfaces linking the modules and the router without having to get a console cable

you said routing left to a router and other than intervlan routing that is how I have it. in the end I have redundant L3 paths to the router.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well what I think I will do is go for it.

I'll buy a 3845 off e-bay and then after it up and running I'll sale my 3745 (of course keeping my NME-16ES-1G-P's)

I found one that's motherboardless but with the AC-IP power supply (which I see that powersupply going for atleast $200 on its own.)

then after I sale the 3745 w/ NM-1GE (might toss in my spare 3745 chassis with one defective fan, someone could make 2 useable 3745's with that)

hopefully the value of a fully loaded 3745 (max r,am max dual flash, full dual powersupplies with inline power, and a NM-1GE w/ copper GBIC) will net enough to cover upgrading the 3845 to dual AC-IP's and a full memory upgrade (the spare chassis has a motherboard and I think maybe max ram too, just no powersupply or flash)

how long do you think it'll take to sale the 3745?
--
semper idem

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to DarkLogix
You willing to sell to forum members, DarkLogix See Profile ? Just as a question?

What's a fair price to you?

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Sure.

I'm hoping atleast $600 (more would be better)
It'd be a 3745 with all 4 powersupplies (2 AC plus the 2 inline power ones needed to do POE with etherswitch modules) a VPN-AIM (actually I have like 4-5 VPN-AIMs as I bought them sometime ago at a good price, just not sure ATM which model it is) a NM-1GE with copper gbic, both CF cards (internal and external) and a second 3745 chassis (2nd chassis has the following both main boards (the one that goes in the front and the one that goes in the back), a fan try (not fully functional fan try as one of the fans seems to be stuck but the other 3 work) the 2nd chassis does not have any powersupplies though and might not have any CF card (I think I took it to put in the one I have running)

maybe a better formatted list
1x maxed out 3745 with the following
512dram
dual CF cards
VPN-AIM (and some extra VPN-AIMs)
full power supply setup (kinda rare) with inline power units
NM-1GE with copper GBIC

also a spare chassis with the following
both mother boards (ok maybe there's a better name for each)
no CF card
no powersupply
fan try that's only partially working (it'll cool it but atleast one fan is messed up and really loud, the tray had been on the other but when I added the 2nd PS to my main router and all 4 fans kicked on I found that one was really loud and swapped the fan try with the spare)

in all you could make to fully functional 3745's out of this, and the fan tray issue might not be seen with only 1 powersupply.

I'll check the ram on the spare shortly
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
ok the spare chassis has 32mb flash and 1 stick of ram (unsure of size)

and both have 2x VPN-AIM/HP2 (though I think they're only able to use one vpn-aim at a time)

none of the fans on the spare seem seized but I know one had become very loud, so maybe fixable.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
BTW remember I'm hoping to get the following plus maybe a partial recoup of the cost to upgrade.

PWR-3845-AC-IP and a 1gb dram upgrade
I'll have a 3845 with 1x PWR-3845-AC-IP soon as I ordered one at a good price, but it only has 512dram, 128 flash (flash should be fine) and it only has one power supply.

it looks like via ebay it'll be about 200 for the power supply and another 200 for the dram (I might look at work to see if I can find any DDR ecc ram but I don't think I'll find any ECC older than DDR2)

so if I can get 600+S/H for the lot of 3745 then I'll be happy but that'd be a little short of breaking even.
--
semper idem

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to DarkLogix
...my inner geek is drooling, my wallet is smacking me upside the head for even THINKING about this...

If my inner geek wins out, I know where to find you, DarkLogix See Profile

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I could toss in a 2600 router too, iirc its maxed out but I don't recall the specs off hand
--
semper idem

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
I too have bunch of 2600 routers that I plan to sell them dirt cheap

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I also have 2 2900M-XL switches

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
woot my 3845-MB is out for delivery

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Boo listed as having 512d and 128f but only arrived with 0d and 64f
--
semper idem

HELLFIRE
Premium
Gripe out the seller for false advertising?

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit
I messaged the seller and they said they'll send the missing items (also I ordered some ram that might work for $9, if it works I'll be at 1gb if not then the ram the seller is sending should allow me to get it going.
--
semper idem

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to DarkLogix
...let us know when you get it DarkLogix See Profile... and do benchmark / performance test it for us if you can.

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
well I was thinking of borrowing a laptop from work
though I forgot to grab one Thursday and I'm on "vacation" for 10 days
--
semper idem

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to DarkLogix
The only sane reason behind providing what cisco put together here is space. A single chassis that provides both. But since there are no physical Serial interfaces nothing blows away a cat3750 with a say SRX210 for all you NAT and MPLS needs. But glad you found what you were looking for.

So again why were you looking to use such device is, other than experience in the device itself, beyond me...

Da Geek Kid

reply to aryoba
I would actually use either a ex-3200 or for full redundancy ex-4200 for mpls, etc capabilities..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
well I would never use a junicrap device at home, and if I had a say I wouldn't at work ether.
--
semper idem

Da Geek Kid

Now that would completely makes sense. Since that would only mean you have not experienced Cisco like the rest of us, but in time you will see beyond tunnel vision.

My mom always said never put your eggs in one basket.