spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JayNoVA
@cox.net

JayNoVA

Anon

[VA] how to change IP address?

Before, it was so easy - change one digit/letter of the MAC address, power off/on modem & router, and that's it.

But now that I have a 2-in-1 modem/router (Netgear CG3000D), my old method isn't working anymore.

Any idea how to do it?
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

Generally you're being given a DHCP lease from equipment that you don't control, and it pairs IP to MAC.

If I were to guess, I think you might just be able to pick your own IP address so long as it falls within a valid subnet that is routable to your physical location.

Say for example your IP address is 98.165.61.70/24, then an address like 98.165.61.71/24 might work. Before taking a given IP address, you'll need to verify that nobody else is using that IP. Using a tool like ping won't be enough to tell you this as many consumer devices are configured to ignore ICMP ECHO by default - use a tool like wireshark to monitor layer 2 traffic instead. If you do take somebody else's IP address you could deny them internet access, and I don't think Cox would like that.

Cox might have dynamic firewall rules that permit or deny access to IP addresses it hasn't given out as well.

I'd try myself but I have different applications running on devices on my network that require minimal downtime and don't want to disturb them.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

A good work around, but I think if you have the technical ability to subnet and use Wireshark, then you really shouldn't be using a Gateway.

Also, you probably don't want to get in the habbit of actively sending packets to unknown IP's. It could be a potential ToS conflict. Also, even if you found a IP that no one is using at that time, doesn't take it out of the DHCP rotation and might be assigned to someone else later. Or there might be a node split and your IP range can change.

If this is a one time need, you can try keeping the device powered off for 24-48 hr but there are some variables that will effect if that works or not.

Why do you need a IP change BTW? If its some ban, you can probably get around it with a proxy much easier. All that changing your IP will do is get the entire subnet blocked, which is bad.

I think your best bet is just investing in a decent modem and stand alone router. Better performance and flexibility.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by Hard Harry7:

Also, you probably don't want to get in the habbit of actively sending packets to unknown IP's. It could be a potential ToS conflict.

You wouldn't be doing that, it would be playing with ARP at layer 2. In wireshark these packets show up as "who has x.x.x.x? Tell XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX". I really don't think that would be a ToS violation because your network equipment sends those kinds of packets every 5 minutes anyways.
said by Hard Harry7:

Also, even if you found a IP that no one is using at that time, doesn't take it out of the DHCP rotation and might be assigned to someone else later. Or there might be a node split and your IP range can change.

If DHCP worked that way then you'd have a lot of IP address conflicts. The DHCP server will do its own checks to see if any of the IP addresses are in use before leasing them out. At least, any good DHCP server will. Somebody from Cox already mentioned how they do this, and said something to the effect of it being mindful of IP addresses being used, even if it doesn't have them in its lease table.

You sort of have to do this in case any customers are using any devices with a broken DHCP client implementation.
said by Hard Harry7:

If this is a one time need, you can try keeping the device powered off for 24-48 hr but there are some variables that will effect if that works or not.

I really don't think that will work, you'd probably need to wait at least a week for the lease to expire and the address to be pruned from the lease table.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

You make good points. Perhaps I didn't think the situation to completion. What I can tell you, and this is with practical first hand experience, using a DHCP IP as Static can and will eventually cause problems. Not saying it won't work, just my opinion is its an overly complicated process for a non optimal solution.

::Edit:: Actually using a IP assigned as DHCP as Static is against ToS by my understanding of;

"Access or use the Service with an IP address other than the dynamic Internet Protocol ("IP") address assigned to you which adheres to dynamic host configuration protocol ("DHCP"). You may not configure the Service or any related equipment to access or use a static IP address or use any protocol other than DHCP."

Bullet 7, Article 1
»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies.cox
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by Hard Harry7:

You make good points. Perhaps I didn't think the situation to completion. What I can tell you, and this is with practical first hand experience, using a DHCP IP as Static can and will eventually cause problems. Not saying it won't work, just my opinion is its an overly complicated process for a non optimal solution.

It will in that when Cox changes their routing tables around (various reasons why this might happen,) you might be stuck with an IP address that has no route to the public internet. That will simply have the effect of you being unable to access the internet until you get a new IP address.

Normally you're given an IP address lease, and halfway through the lease your client automatically renews it. I suspect that when Cox is about to change anything, there will be a grace period with old IP addresses until the leases are all expired, and we simply have two overlapping networks until then (I really don't know how consumer grade ISP's work in this regard, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind.)

This should rarely happen though, so it mostly wouldn't be a problem. When it does happen, you can learn the new network configuration with a simple DHCP renew.
Rakeesh

Rakeesh to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

::Edit:: Actually using a IP assigned as DHCP as Static is against ToS by my understanding of;

"Access or use the Service with an IP address other than the dynamic Internet Protocol ("IP") address assigned to you which adheres to dynamic host configuration protocol ("DHCP"). You may not configure the Service or any related equipment to access or use a static IP address or use any protocol other than DHCP."

Bullet 7, Article 1
»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies.cox

That's odd, because they make static IP addresses available to some customers.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Only Cox Business Customers who fallow a different ToS. Also the IP's they are assigned are from totally different block. Also the modems have different configuration files and in some cases, different firmwares, so its Apples and Oranges. At Least that is what I have gathered from comparing my Business account with my Residental account.

Back on topic, don't you think going back to a modem and router set up (like OP had before) is a simplier way to fix the problem? Kind of feels like we are trying to figure out how to do Calculus on a 4th grader calculator. Heh.

JayNoVA
@cox.net

JayNoVA

Anon

said by Hard Harry7:

Back on topic, don't you think going back to a modem and router set up (like OP had before) is a simplier way to fix the problem?

Yes, you're right but I thought that once I got this new modem, my old modem was deactivated by Cox?

Or are you saying that both my old and new modem are still registered under Cox's system?

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

1 edit

Hard Harry7

No, I do not mean to insinuate that. Only one device can be assigned internet service per account(except very rare exceptions). That device can be a modem, a modem/router gateway, or even a phone modem (eMTA). What I mean is having a modem AND a router is better then having a modem/router gateway, especially for people who have more advanced needs, like you seem to have.

What was your previous modem and router? Why did you decide to change to a gateway?

JayNoVA
@cox.net

JayNoVA to Hard Harry7

Anon

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

Why do you need a IP change BTW? If its some ban, you can probably get around it with a proxy much easier.

I invited someone to a private tracker and he got banned so the mods banned me too. My friend already invited back in in the said tracker and I used my neighbor's WIFI to register and all that. However, I don't want to get my friend and my new account in trouble so I want to change my IP.

If I use a proxy, won't the tracker know that it's still me via the same IP that will show up in the torrent client? What I mean is, when browsing the site, the proxy's IP will show but on the torrent client itself, won't my Cox IP show? I don't want to use a proxy on the torrent client because my download and upload speed would be verrrrrrrrrrry slow.
JayNoVA

JayNoVA to Hard Harry7

Anon

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

What was your previous modem and router? Why did you decide to change to a gateway?

It was the default one that Cox gave me when I signed up - Scientific Atlanta. Router was plain cheapo Netgear router.

I decided to get a gateway because I wanted to avail of the new speeds (I was told I needed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem). I went from 15 down and 3 up on my old package to 60 down and 12 up on my new plan.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

2 edits

1 recommendation

Hard Harry7 to JayNoVA

to JayNoVA
It just goes against my "Geek" to help someone use a proxy to get around a IP ban from a torrent feed site. Its kind of like asking a geek to install Norton on a Emachines running Windows ME. ::nerd rage::

But if you must..
»lifehacker.com/5863380/h ··· -btguard

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to JayNoVA

to JayNoVA
said by JayNoVA :

Before, it was so easy - change one digit/letter of the MAC address, power off/on modem & router, and that's it.

But now that I have a 2-in-1 modem/router (Netgear CG3000D), my old method isn't working anymore.

Any idea how to do it?

Did you release the IP before rebooting. On my ISP I have to release the IP then reboot the gear.

They likely won't assign you another IP if your account is still claiming a different IP.

Blob

JayNoVA
@cox.net

JayNoVA

Anon

said by workablob:

Did you release the IP before rebooting. On my ISP I have to release the IP then reboot the gear.

They likely won't assign you another IP if your account is still claiming a different IP.

Blob

Yeah I did the whole /ipconfig release thing.

But it doesn't work with this gateway. I even went to the NIC adapter settings under advanced and under Network Address and entered a new MAC address and still no luck. My PC recognizes that I have a new MAC address and before, this was enough for Cox to give me a new IP after rebooting my gear.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to workablob

to workablob
said by workablob:

said by JayNoVA :

Any idea how to do it?

Blob

All that release does is clear the network configuration from the local machine, it doesn't purge the lease from the DHCP server's address table. What that means is when you request a new lease, it'll simply renew the one you already had.

Although the implementation allows the client to send a release packet to the DHCP server, it is entirely optional and not all DHCP servers implement it as you might think. Cox doesn't in my experience.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by Rakeesh:

All that release does is clear the network configuration from the local machine, it doesn't purge the lease from the DHCP server's address table. What that means is when you request a new lease, it'll simply renew the one you already had.

Thank you so much for that.

That explains why at work when I released my IP I got the same IP again.

It does matter though I guess from a router standpoint in many cases since I had to tell my router to forget about that IP and get a new one.

Education happening here.

Muchas gracias.

Blob
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to JayNoVA

to JayNoVA
»thelifemaster.com/Main/B ··· -CG3000D