JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719

Re: 2 Dynamic IP's with cable via Shaw

Might we find out exactly what the purpose of getting 2 IP's on a Cable service is for?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

Click for full size
zyxel
running an illegal torrent server probably. lol.

i use it for QoS mainly. I dont have to set metrics of 2:1 to match my DSL line. instead i just even em out with 1 Mbps upload for each WAN link and set it to 1:1:1. Seems to be better for SIP traffic and stuff.

anyway, attached is proof for whatever its worth.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
may i find out why you care? i have numerous reasons.... your question implies that the result will be different if i have reason, when it will not.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Do you have two public IP addresses right now Connor? What type of set up do you have? Mainly I am wondering if you can still use your router in order to have more than 2 devices on your local network. For example, have two machines with public IP addresses and then anything else you connect with get local addresses from DHCP. I assume you would need a switch in the mix.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
That's not what he is implying. He is simply curious as am I.

FYI. I asked Gabe to confirm to be 100%.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Seems more to me someone got banned from a site and nneds another IP.Not that I care but I get alot of questions over that
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

nahh, an even tho i would prefer to keep my info private, i guess its not a huge deal to me so ill explain anyway, my reason doesnt matter either way tho. ps i have never been ip banned.

so for starters 2 ip's = 2 sets of ports.

1 IP i have goes to my RT-AC66U where i have firewall enabled and ICMP respond off. this router serves my computer and my xbox via cat 6, and then operates only on the 5GHz band for wifi, 2.4GHz disabled. everyone is wireless and almost everything is 5GHz. like my brothers xbox, a macbook pro (used by another heavy internet user in the house) some iphone 5's and 1 other windows pc. THIS IP CAN CHANGE NO PROBLEM, if i want a new ip i change my mac and reboot the modem. so lets say im to receive a ddos attack (most attacks are only coming from script kiddies and are not even strong enough to get me offline) then i am easily able to change my ip and continue with my day if that person were to have access to a very strong botnet that could take me down.

the 2nd IP i have goes to my DIR-655 wich i use for monitoring my connection (icmp has to be enabled) and provides only wireless access to clients via 2.4GHz. there is also a windows pc hooked up to this 2.4GHz network that has port forwarding rules setup for something the other user in the house has to do, i dont know exactly what it is, but he has to be able to give his customers an ip adress that will stay the same, they use that ip adress to acesss the computer on the network, what exactly he uses that for i cant remember, but he requires the ip adress not to change very often, i mean it can change but then he has to let everyone know the new IP. the IP that router pulls now is still the same IP we originally pulled about 6 months ago, while the ip on my rt-ac66u can change as much as i want, though i havnt needed to change it lately cause my router has been good with stopping ddos attacks.

so to clarify my first ip can change whenever and my second one can change if i have to but we try not to at all

the other user in the house owns a company called purple turtle productions which builds and hosts websites although we have to rent servers to host as we would need atleast 100mbps up to do it out of our home, soon i would like to build a small home server tho.

i cant bridge the d link to the asus because the d link does not support bridge and i use routers on different bands, cant bridge the asus to the d link because the d link will just crap out with a simple ddos

having 2 ips and having 1 with icmp disabled has helped with with alot of cool troubleshooting that i would not have been able to do without this setup, it has also taught me a thing or two

right now if i were to receive a ddos attack i can simply unplug the lan of my first router and connection will continue on the second, then i can choose to reboot immediately or wait

with TSI i would hope to get both these routers behind a switch, add a ubiquiti edge router lite to the mix and only use my asus router as a WAP

18286719 (banned) to fluffybunny

to fluffybunny
thank you fluffybunny! i have no idea why this would work for you and not for me so if a tsi employee could explain how that makes any sense at all i would only get 1 ip if he can get 2 that would be great. ps why dont u have gig links? your switch dont support it?

18286719 (banned)

before i had 2 routers i had 2 lan cables in the back of my xbox, one directly from the shaw modem, and 1 from my dir-655, the xbox would pull its own ip and i would play on that untill i got hit then switch to the dir-655 and they wouldnt have that ip so i could just wait the attack out and plug back in directly to xbox later. now the rt-ac66u is basically my firewall infront of the xbox aswell as a 5GHz wifi network the 2.4 on that router causes problems and does not compare to my d link. my dir-655 is one of the only 300N routers with 3 antennas, 2 for send 1 for recieve, and it results in amazing wifi coverage, atleast in my house the asus cant compete, and it interferes with my 2.4GHz headset

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to 18286719

Anon

to 18286719
old switch. no point wasting a new switch on a 25 meg connection.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to 18286719

to 18286719
Offtopic but nice website for the company. The HTML5 is great.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

Seems more to me someone got banned from a site and nneds another IP.Not that I care but I get alot of questions over that

Change MAC address, reboot modem, new IP

I have 16 IPs available from Shaw (/29 static), between two modems, yes, some people have a need.