share rss forum feed

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

Changed NICs in vCenter Heartbeat (resolved)

I had to migrate my principal vCenter last night onto another physical host as the RAID controller needed to be reconfigured.

I made the secondary active, shut down vCenter service in principal, shut down the guest, migrated (offline) the vCenter VM.

Once the RAID was reconfigured I migrated the server back to the host, powered on the principal, all the NICs were removed. The VM received new NICs. I had to manually input the IP settings (interface metric, multiple IPs per the public NIC, etc).

Now I can't get my principal to take the principal role. Looks like the NIC changed borked the communciations.

I'm getting this on the principal. vCenter isn't able to make the shared IP the primary on the VM:

An attempt to set the network configuration failed for the following reasons: Failed to set IP addresses while Enabling the public identity.
Failed to set the IP addresses : [192.168.8.13 : 255.255.255.0] for the network adapter.
Please review your network configuration.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

Re: vCenter woes (migrated principal, NICs all screwed up)

Update, I was able to get the vCenter Server service started after this:
»kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros···=2036170

Still unable to resolve the NIC issue though.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
reply to exocet_cm
Click for full size
Click for full size
For $9,000 USD, you'd think this would have been addressed before.
I was FINALLY able to get into the server configuration wizard. I had to remove the NICs, then remove all non-present hardware including the drivers for the NICs, repair VMware Tools (since my NICs are VMXNET3).
I added the NICs back to the machine, configure the addresses, THEN I was able to enter the server configuration and make the appropriate changes to the server NIC as reflected in vCenter HB.

Such a relief to see "operational" flash up on the screen in VCHB Logs.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com