anon164327
join:2013-06-25

1 edit

anon164327

Well I tried...

Here's a chat I just had with my ISP.

=================================
Joe.: I will be with you momentarily.

Joe.: Greetings, how can I assist you today?

ME: Hello I have a few questions about our DSL speeds.

Joe.: Ok

ME: A few years ago our modem was syncing at 18430/1023 but now it's only syncing at 16383/895.

Joe.: Ok

ME: Can you boost it back up to where it was in the past?

Joe.: The profiles may have changed, due to changes in equipment. As long as the modem is training over the 15Mb you have, that is good.

ME: Well I would really like the 18/1 back.

Joe.: If you would like to increase the speed to your home, the sales department may have other products available.

ME: After the overhead I only get 11down on my devices instead of 15 like before.

Joe.: You should not be seeing 16 to your home, you will probably see less than that. All DSL speeds are sold as "up to" speeds.

ME: So you can't send my modem the older faster speeds your saying?

Joe.: Unfortunately, the modem is training above the speed that you are currently paying for. If you wish to have a faster speed, I can give you the phone number to sales.

ME: I don't find it fair at all that our speeds got lowered because you guys thought the line was unstable when it wasn't.

ME: The modem stats are the same today as they were back on the 18/1 profile.

Joe.: Ok, one moment please.

Joe.: I just spoke with my senior team, at this point your modem is trained up above speed of 15. There is no way at this time, we can justify increasing it further.

Joe.: I apologize for the trouble.

ME: Why not?

Joe.: Again, if you would like a faster speed, you will need to purchase a different product. The product you have goes up to 15.

Joe.: Can I assist you with anything else today?

ME: That doesn't make sense when it used to be 18/1 before.

Joe.: It may have been put on that profile due to line difficulties.

ME: That's nonsense.

Joe.: I understand. Can I assist you with anything else this evening?

ME: Why can't you switch it back to 18/1 and if the line gets unstable I will call back?

Joe.: We would be giving you more speed than you are paying for if we switched it.

Joe.: I apologize, this is not something I am able to do. Can I assist you with anything else today?

ME: JHGFDFGHJHGFDFGHJKJHGFSDAGF;SDBFOUVSAG OFGSUFGSARFG SOAFSAFBSOFSFGRSIP FGBIPA

Joe.: Ok, thank you for chatting with us, have a good day.
=================================

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

What profile are you paying for? If this statement is true "the modem is training above the speed that you are currently paying for." then I really don't understand why are you upset. If you want more, buy higher profile and pay for more. The fact that they've given you something in the past for free does not mean they have to give it to you today.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to anon164327

to anon164327
So, if I'm reading this right, you were paying for ~15Mb/s, and getting 18.4Mb/s due to a very generous ISP, right?
And then it looks like they either lowered the CIR/EIR on the modem to a bit more reasonable level, or line impairments caused your throughput to lower a bit, but still maintain 16.3Mb while you were paying for 15Mb/s? And you called to complain?

Well, if anything you can probably look forward to being on hold for a while the next time you call in....

anon164327

anon164327

Yes I agree that I shouldn't complain but the main reason I wanted the old speeds back were for netflix 4K streaming in the future.

With 18Mbps sync speed my devices would show 15Mbps after the overhead (perfect for 4K).

But now with the slower sync speeds my devices only run at 11Mbps after the overhead.

Charter's 30Mbps cable service ends 2 miles up the road and I'm stuck with this sh** telco that has refused to upgrade to VDSL or FIBER in the past 5 years and don't offer anything past 15Mbps.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by anon164327:

I'm stuck with this sh** telco that has refused to upgrade to VDSL or FIBER in the past 5 years and don't offer anything past 15Mbps.

It looks like they have higher speeds available, you just have to pay for it.
said by anon164327:

Joe.: If you would like to increase the speed to your home, the sales department may have other products available.

and:
said by anon164327:

Yes I agree that I shouldn't complain but the main reason I wanted the old speeds back were for netflix 4K streaming in the future.

With 18Mbps sync speed my devices would show 15Mbps after the overhead (perfect for 4K).

But now with the slower sync speeds my devices only run at 11Mbps after the overhead.

Charter's 30Mbps cable service ends 2 miles up the road and I'm stuck with this sh** telco that has refused to upgrade to VDSL or FIBER in the past 5 years and don't offer anything past 15Mbps.

and:
said by anon164327:

Joe.: Again, if you would like a faster speed, you will need to purchase a different product. The product you have goes up to 15.

You were getting something for free, now you are not.
said by anon164327:

Yes I agree that I shouldn't complain but

I think we all agree.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to anon164327

to anon164327
said by H_T_R_N:

You were getting something for free, now you are not.

That depends entirely on how you and your provider define your connection speed. In this case, it sounds like the OP is paying for 15 Mbps. A DSL modem that syncs at 15 Mbps will never deliver 15 Mbps of IP traffic due to DSL overheads. So if a provider defines their speeds as raw data (as is apparently the case with the OP), then you are getting your fair share with 11 Mbps of IP throughput.

If on the other hand your provider defines throughput as IP throughput, then the modem will indeed have to sync at a higher rate to compensate for the DSL overhead. Many Telus customers experienced the flip side of the OP when Telus started boosting 6/1 customer profiles from 6144 downstream to 7035. The "lucky" customers were able to actually see 6 Mbps download speeds for the first time.

It sounds an awful lot like the MB/MiB hard drive capacity debate, doesn't it?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by clarknova:

A DSL modem that syncs at 15 Mbps will never deliver 15 Mbps of IP traffic due to DSL overheads.

Depends on the backhaul. With most DSL using ATM, that is true. But AT&T U-verse uses PTM, so that isn't true.

anon164327

anon164327 to H_T_R_N

to H_T_R_N
They don't offer any higher speed packages at my address.

One time I even got an ad in the mail saying that they now offer 25Mbps I called them right away and they said it was a mistake.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by anon164327:

They don't offer any higher speed packages at my address.

Ever think there might be a reason for that? A company that can provide a service for a increase in revenue usually will unless they are really dumb, or just want to piss you off. Any bets on what it is in this case?
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

LLigetfa

said by H_T_R_N:

Any bets on what it is in this case?

I have two theories...
1. Raising the speed will result in reliability complaints.
2. Raising the speed will result in more consumption and they think you use too much already.

I have seen ISPs drive away certain customers for both reasons.