·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

[bug] Favorite Forums

Click for full size
Why are these forums (non highlighted) appearing in my favorites?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

because multiple people asked for what was previously pop-ups (not clickable) per category, to be clickable.

Do you want any the categories not containing a single favorite forums to be completely removed?
justin

justin to Dustyn

Mod

to Dustyn
Also don't forget the link that you click for this page is not called "favorite forums", it is called:

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'm not so sure I like it... It's not something I personally wish to see displayed along with my highlighted choices as there are a lot of forums in there I'm never going to visit.

»/forum ··· l?open=1

It almost looks like I'm clicking the above link... when all I would like to see are my favorites highlighted forums.
I realise there is a proper favorites link... but that isn't displayed as nicely with small previews of new threads.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

There is a favorite link:

Your links.. Forums..

that is the designated "favorite forum" view, being in the "Your Links.." section and everything. It even has two different versions as well.

Probably requests to improve the "favorite forum" helicopter view should be addressed to that page.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

»/forums/fav0

This one?
Okay, that works well enough. I don't like the layout as much but I guess I'll just change the way in which I access the forums so I get to view what I want to view.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Finding a special link to click should not be required. Clicking the main menu forums link should open and display the forums per user config preferences.

Very disappointed in this change.

Also very disappointed that the thread nest view isn't working.
»Topics View Setting

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

generally speaking the personalization stuff is all under "Your links" it isn't finding a special link at all. The favorite forum display is used by the majority of people, as it correctly shows the topics you've read, surfaces ones newly replied, can be re-ordered, all things that the "all forums" page doesn't do.

Nested view is not supported anymore, that was changed ages ago. Very few people used it, it is too hard to maintain a totally different view of a forum topic across both mobile and desktop browsers I would rather do one view well than two views poorly especially if the breakdown of usage is 99% to 1%.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

Do you want any the categories not containing a single favorite forums to be completely removed?

I think that would be best because the way it is now is really backwards. I mean, if your are going to show ALL of the forums then why are the categories in which I have a single favorite selected not showing any of the other forums in that category yet categories which I don't have a single forum favorited showing all the forums in it? Shouldn't that be the other way around?

I know what they're talking about about the pop-ups, but if anything it should be like a lot of navbars are - you mouse over (or click) and it opens, and you can then click the link inside the pop-up. »newegg.com is just 1 example of this.

Before this change I could easily see all the forums I had favorited and if any new topics or replies had been posted to them all on 1 page and without having to scroll. Now I need to either hunt and scroll on that page to see everything or click my favorite forum link and hunt and scroll, scroll, scroll, click the "next page" link and scroll some more. It also doesn't lay everything out nicely like the "all forums" link does.

/M
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I liked it the way it was before today.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I like this new layout. It seems a lot cleaner than the old one.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Oregonian:

I certainly agree with this!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

Are we talking about the same thing? Because mine became VERY cluttered with this latest update!

/M
mackey

2 recommendations

mackey

Premium Member

Before:

After:

It is now very much the opposite of clean! Plus I now need to scroll to see everything.

/M

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Well, I like seeing all the forums on one page (even if I have to scroll) without having to click on the headers to see what's not showing.

Each to their own, I guess.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Forums layout should be controlled by a user preference setting. For both desktop and small form factor devices. Not a one size fits all common denominator.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

2 recommendations

justin

Mod

The favorite forum page, the one in "Your links" is customizeable to the extent that you can re-order them as you prefer, it automagically suppresses topics you've already read, etc, etc.

The problem here is that the "all forums" page is being used by some people as their short-cut to their favorite forums, and therefore don't want to see any change to it.

I would suggest again that if you have a better layout, or layout option, for your "favorite forums" you suggest it as a modification or option for "Your links .. favorite forums" rather than trying to make the "all forums" page perform that function.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Personally my default home page for DSLR is »/forums/fav so I only rarely look at all forums to see if something new. Consequently haven't even noticed there had been a change.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Is the view in Before even possible anymore? I ask because I'd like that back. Wading through all the clutter means a great deal more scrolling and visually scanning to see which one I wanted to open.