Search similar:

uniqs
icewolf69
join:2013-11-07
Argyle, TX

icewolf69

Synology 412+, AC68U, VPN client and server with Usenet

Hi all, first time poster.

I have an issue that feels complex and I'm hoping I could get some help on it.

I work outside of the country for a few weeks at a time on a normal rotation. I want to be able to download from usenet while abroad, while my diskstation continues to download as normal. I can't really do this because of different IP addresses connected to the same usenet server would raise flags and would probably disconnect me.

What i would like to do is, while abroad, VPN into the synology that way i can download from usenet on the same IP my synology is on.

I would also like to connect the synology as a VPN client so that all internet traffic would go through the diskstation and could be anonymous.

Internet is verizon FIOS modem/router, connected to a 48 port switch (HP 1910-48g). I have an Asus AC68U, but i'm not using it as a router, it's connected to the switch as an access point. The reason i'm doing that is the verizon router and switch are all together in a closet, and if the AC68U was in there with them, we'd get terrible wireless coverage.

I heard the synology can't be both a VPN client and a VPN server, is this true?. Could i use the Asus router's VPN server in conjunction with the synology VPN client (or vise-versa)? Will I be able to log in from outside the country and connect to usenet servers and the web as the same IP address as everything else is?

Is there maybe a different solution to this? I suppose i could maybe get in the attic, run a dedicated cat6 cable from the FIOS modem to the asus AC68U, and then another cable from the AC68U to the switch? This would allow me to use the Asus as the router instead of the verizon.

Any help is appreciated.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by icewolf69:

I can't really do this because of different IP addresses connected to the same usenet server would raise flags and would probably disconnect me.

So you're on a Usenet server or SERVICE? If you're that concerned, I'd contact their service and ask if they
do that or not.
said by icewolf69:

and could be anonymous.

Going to have to stop you there OP, but VPN is about SECURE communications over an INSECURE medium.
If you want anonymity, TOR is specifically designed for that...

Anyways, not to razz you too much and answer your questions, try this link on synology's page. Can't comment about simultaneous VPN server and client operation as I don't
own one. Your best bet is to read the manual or contact Synology.
said by icewolf69:

Will I be able to log in from outside the country and connect to usenet servers and the web as the same IP address as everything else is?

...as in show up as your Verizon Fios IP address while abroad, correct? Then you're looking for your traffic
to not be split tunneled config-wise, and again, I don't own a Synology to comment and recommend reading the manual and/or contacting
Synology directly if this can be done.

Regards