spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

What's the best/proper Coax cable to run?

I'm moving into a new apartment and will be doing renovation there.
I want to ask electrician to run coax cables under baseboards into all the rooms.
What's the best(within reason) coax cable spec to use?

Would that same cable spec also work for VZ FIOS' internal wiring? Depending on the offered deals I might go w/ fios instead of CV.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
RG6 Coax

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to MxxCon
RG6 with good quality splitters (or better yet, home runs to a distribution point).

For splitters, in general anything rated to at least 1GHz should work fine. They now make "MoCA" splitters that are more optimized for the frequencies used. FiOS uses RG6 w/ off the shelf (but good quality) >1GHz splitters.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to MxxCon
RG6 . It is the same spec for CV ,VZ and SaT.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
reply to MxxCon
Keep splitters to a minimum. Best is to make all runs ,home runs.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to MxxCon
yes, I'm planning to ask him to make separate runs of RG6 and CAT6a from each room into a closet.
--

Deanski

join:2009-09-30
Norwalk, CT
reply to MxxCon
Belden 1694A RG6. It's a broadcast quality cable swept up to 4.5Ghz. Then, add Canare FC connectors and you now have a bullet proof run for now and future bandwith.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino
Usually the better stuff is triple/quad shielded. Shorter runs are better. As long as you stay under 150 feet you'll be good on any single wire.

BTW, while this is being done, it couldn't hurt to run some cat6 cables from room to room as well (on this, you might want to run a set of two just as a precautionary backup.. while rare, Ethernet cables are known to fail once in a while--coax not so much).

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to MxxCon
I use RG6 Quad Shield myself with PPC EX6XL compression connectors (the same ones used by Cablevision). Never had a problem yet.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

CBSwest57

@207.237.90.x
reply to Deanski
said by Deanski:

Belden 1694A RG6. It's a broadcast quality cable swept up to 4.5Ghz. Then, add Canare FC connectors and you now have a bullet proof run for now and future bandwith.

Canare connectors due not conform to cable standards as they exceed 7/16" width. may work ok in a broadcast environment. bad advice to give to the OP which is probably an amateur and would have to spend $100 on tools to make a bad connector only to have his provider replace it with their own.

MxxCon, run the cable and leave ends with plenty of slack for your broadband provider to make connectors. Careful not to let the installers of baseboards drive nails into the coax that you run.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to MxxCon
Click for full size
Attached is layout of my new apartment. Entrance door is in the bottom left corner. Closets are not drawn, but you can imagine the fill in the caps.
My room will be the top "bedroom".
I am planning to ask electrician to run CAT6a cables.
I'm hesitant of putting 'meet me' spot in closets because equipment might get cooked/start a fire.
I'm thinking of making a small shelf right above the entrance door and running all the cables from there. That way CV/VZ won't have to run their own cables too far into my apartment.
However, I'm a bit hesitant about running multiple lines to there. It is going to be at least 3 RG6 lines (or maybe that 1694A if it makes sense), maybe 4 if we'll do kitchen too.
Plus at least 3 CAT6a lines...I'm afraid all these cables might not fit under the baseboard molding. :/
--

CBSwest57

@207.237.90.x
then go with coax and forget the cat6. coax can carry RF and moca if needed which cat6 cant carry video. most of your data will be wireless anyway.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
"most" of the data will NOT be wireless. It will be wired. A single wifi won't cover the whole apartment, which is why if I want to install more than 1 I wanted cat6 in each room.
--

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
invest in a wifi extender
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to MxxCon
JMO, having a wired network is great.

Deanski

Norwalk, CT
reply to CBSwest57
Well, they work fine for me, but yes, you are correct that for general cable TV/broadband runs in a home it's way overkill.

Must be my over OCD on cable ends.....

Deanski

Norwalk, CT
reply to MxxCon
There are many good cable housing structures for all the home runs of the CAT6a and RG6 so if the electrician is pulling cable, may as well do both at once.

Wherever the closest place is to the Cablevision drop the better. This way, all terminations are done there and everything is a home run to that location from each drop.

Most cable runs will be pulled through walls rather than baseboard unless you do not have approval to penetrate the walls to run cable.

There are some nice molding conduits that can be used on the face top of any baseboard to hide all cables, so that's the other solution for surface mount cabling. These conduits can be painted to match and blend in.

Regards,
Deanski

Deanski

Norwalk, CT

1 edit
reply to CBSwest57
Although I can respect your opinion....

You may want to check your facts: »www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rf/ ··· ndex.htm and see RF Cables.

See internal link to Canare as well.

Yes, Canare F type are way overkill, but are still the best for any F connector.

It's what I've been using for years!

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to MxxCon
Does 1694A really cost ~1ft/$0.8? :/

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Belden cable typically costs significantly more than other options. However you should be perfectly fine with RG6 and PPC EX6XL. It's what CV will install and you can get the tools for that relatively inexpensively. Plus EX6XL compression fittings are really easy to install! A crap ton easier than putting Cat6 ends on!

Deanski

Norwalk, CT
reply to MxxCon
Depends on where you buy it and how many feet, but yes, it's a bit pricey. Then again, you get what you paid for.

On the other hand, any good quad RG6 will be fine for most runs.

If you want or care, there are cables that are mutli-use, in that, they can have RG6 AND a CAT6A cables combined for simple runs terminating in one location.

Although these are very efficient means of running mutli cables in one fixed cable, some are average grade, some are quite good.

As for the ends, compression F-Type fittings when the cable ends are stripped correctly do quite well and are easier to do along with less cost than say high-end crimp style (Canare) which require specific crimpers and dies which can be costly and since you're not in the trade of terminating ends all the time, it's wasteful spending big $$ for a very insignificant measurable gain.

Also, if you pull through walls, you will have to change to plenum grade cable to meet code. All that it means a specific jacket that suppresses fire/smoke generation. If it's your home, no one is going to come out and inspect all the cables. In an apartment/condo, well, that's another story. Always use cable designed for plenum if going through walls. Again, not that someone will come and inspect, but a hired electrician will not use non-plenum cable through walls to save a buck and put his license on the line.

Like I said, a good quality quad RG6 will be fine, no need to go into overkill unless you're running some high-end gear susceptible to noise/interference.

CBSwest57

@207.237.90.x
reply to Deanski
said by Deanski:

Although I can respect your opinion....

You may want to check your facts: »www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rf/ ··· ndex.htm and see RF Cables.

See internal link to Canare as well.

Yes, Canare F type are way overkill, but are still the best for any F connector.

It's what I've been using for years!

i respect your opinion as well but good advice for the wrong person. if the OP doesnt know what type of cable to use, he wont know how to properly terminate cables. why spend $3/fitting if the installer will likely cut it off to put their own compression type connector. any installer will get written up if a QC supervisor or anyone with higher authority checks his work for allowing non CATV type compression fittings (PPC,snap-n-seal, corning gilbert)

said by andrewc2:

Belden cable typically costs significantly more than other options. However you should be perfectly fine with RG6 and PPC EX6XL. It's what CV will install and you can get the tools for that relatively inexpensively. Plus EX6XL compression fittings are really easy to install! A crap ton easier than putting Cat6 ends on!

excellent advice!

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
I won't be installing or terminating cables or buying any tools. I will hire an electrician to do it all.
There's also a huge difference between "not knowing what cable to buy" and asking for optimal solution.

Considering these cables will go under baseboard molding, they will be there for the next ~10 years if not more, so I want to somewhat future-proof it. These kind of cables is not my core competency, that's why I asked here. Yet I don't have hands growing out of my ass.

--

Deanski

Norwalk, CT

2 edits
reply to CBSwest57
Well, the post started as "best" so that's the direction I took it. However, for someone not doing the work and willing to pay for someone else, it still remains the best option.

Then again (within reason) comes into play, so now we have to look at other very high quality cables without breaking the bank and having a general electrician to terminate ends, so that's when the compression fittings and other quad RG6 comes into play.

PPC EX6XL is an excellent cable connector for quite a long time and has some good bandwidth for the future. Easy to install.

jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY
reply to MxxCon
Make sure you are using quad shield rg6 coax
It's more expensive but will give you far less signaling issues!!

Do not settle for anything less than quad shield!!

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
said by jades:

I can't tell if you are trolling or this is the way you write... :/
--

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
said by MxxCon:

said by jades:

I can't tell if you are trolling or this is the way you write... :/

Gotta be a troll.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Deanski

Norwalk, CT
reply to MxxCon
Well, just someone stating their point on RG6 Quad. That's all.

Quad RG6 is easy to obtain, doesn't cost too much, but some don't know how to properly cut and terminate the cable to take use of the quad shield which does resist other crosstalk interference and since you also want CAT6A, you don't need any bleed-through from high speed data getting on you coax. Let alone any other transmission methods such as wireless phones, routers, motors etc.

The quad shield will protect you from any interference since cables turn into antennas if not shielded properly and for the shield to dissipate any "noise" when connected to the ends of a device and protecting the critical center conductor.

I'd say, don't try to over think it. Run some RG6 quad, put the PPC-EX6XL compression fittings on and you're good to go. As for the Cat6A, you have lots to choose from. Just try to have the drop for Optimum grounding be as close or same as your electrical service to avoid any ground loops. That can be a cold water pipe, ground rod etc.

Optimum will not come into a home and cut ends off cables they do not own, maintain or installed. They can disconnect any service to a site they feel is compromising their infrastructure if the cabling is not correct and someone refuses to correct it. Once corrected and they inspect it and find it was resolved, service will be restored.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Deanski:

Optimum will not come into a home and cut ends off cables they do not own, maintain or installed. They can disconnect any service to a site they feel is compromising their infrastructure if the cabling is not correct and someone refuses to correct it. Once corrected and they inspect it and find it was resolved, service will be restored.

That is absolutely not true, I've had techs cut ends off cables many times. On one service call they cut all the crimp fittings off and replaced them with new compression fittings.

TWC does the same thing, they got rid of any older style crimp fitting. What is to say that they won't do the same with a non-standard fitting.

Deanski

Norwalk, CT
Well, that's a new one.. That would be as ridiculous as CL&P or Con-Ed coming in and cutting off plugs on any cable.

As I said, if they feel it does not conform to their requirements, they should inform the customer prior to just lopping off ends. At least it gives the impression of standards to a customer. Or, disconnect service.

Still, no one ever came in to cut my ends off. No reason to.