uniqs
share rss forum feed

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA

[Tech] Wiring

Does a vehicle come pre-wired for all accessories and options for that year, even though the option may not have been factory installed?

An example, my '99 SLT Silverado did not come with factory installed fog lamps. However, the spots in the grill/bumber are there for them. Could I order the assemblies and controller and expect the wiring harness to be there?

Would I need to install a fuse where none existed? Other thoughts? Wishful thinking?
--
"...and diciplinary remains, merciful "Yes, yes. Now with you Derek, this star nonsense..."

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Best bet would be to have a look for yourself and see if there's any wiring there.

It varies depending on the make, model, and the type of accessory. Sometimes they do put the wiring in, sometimes not.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to flibby3655
It depends.

TheMG has it right - the ONLY way to know is to look. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Even within a model year, sometimes there are engineering changes - so even, say, some of the '99 Silverados may have it, some may not. Just gotta do a 'stare and compare.'

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
Lompoc, CA
reply to flibby3655
Thank you both for the fast replies! I'll look further.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

It depends.

TheMG has it right - the ONLY way to know is to look. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Even within a model year, sometimes there are engineering changes - so even, say, some of the '99 Silverados may have it, some may not. Just gotta do a 'stare and compare.'

+1

I had an '11 F150...

When adding "factory" accessories - the dealer needed to know which factory the truck was built at (there's two) - the Dearborne assembly line used different harnesses, depending on what trim level was being built; while the Kentucky line used the same (top trim level) harness for every truck. Adding 'stuff' to a Kentucky truck was a peice of cake - the harness was already here... For a Dearborne built truck, the harness (generarlly) only supported the options it came with.

FuriousG

join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON
reply to flibby3655
The wiring is not there, but if you get the factory accessory kit it comes with the harness, retainers, fog lamps and new headlamp switch.
--
-FuriousG-

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
Lompoc, CA
Is that an item you must purchase from a dealer?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by flibby3655:

Is that an item you must purchase from a dealer?

Correct. Only the vehicle manufacturer makes it and the dealer is how they distribute the factory parts...
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
reply to flibby3655
Checkout »www.gmpartsdirect.com for good prices on OEM GM parts.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to flibby3655
sometimes its there sometimes no, my 97 grand prix had the plug for the basic AND optional DIC (driver information center). the 2002 doesnt have the plug for the enhanced DIC. but i do have the wiring in the center of the dash for the optional HUD. (heads up display)
when my neighbor was junking his base model 85 skyhawk wagon i was surprised to find a washer fluid tank and pump buried in the back (the car had no rear wiper!)

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to flibby3655
IIRC, my 04 Silverado was wired for the fog lamps inside the truck, but wasn't outside. When I bought the kit from GM, it came with the lights, the new lower valance for the bumper (for the lights), the wiring harness, relay, and fuse. It was all plug and play.

When I bought my kit, I bought the last one the dealer had, and when I opened it up, one of the lights were broken. GM ordered a replacement lamp under warranty, and for some unknown reason, they sent the entire kit. The parts person just gave me the new kit, and said nothing.

I found out later that I was supposed to give them the old lamp, they put it in the box of the new kit, and send the kit back. Oops...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On