how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plmoraless

join:2012-07-18
Allentown, PA

[Speed] Very Slow Speed In the Lehigh Valley

Never had the need to ask for help with my internet speeds but lately they've been horrible. I live in Western Salisbury right outside of Allentown and I pay for the 50mbps package yet im seeing results on speedtests of 2.5
Can anyone from RCN help nobody on the phone seems to be able to offer help other then restarting my modem. I've tried a new router and no luck.
Here is my info
efe3783d6ccc5cd049c6b7e285692d2dc64a471c

rcncares
Emilie
Premium,VIP
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I am happy to look into this for you. I am going to send you an IM to confirm I am looking at the correct account. Meet you over there. Emilie

rcncares
Emilie
Premium,VIP
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA
reply to plmoraless
I am not sure if you saw my IM, so I wanted to post that I do see a signal strength issue with your modem and a tech visit will be necessary. To set up the visit, you can either chat with an online rep (until 10 pm) at »rcn.com/about-rcn/contact-us or give us a call at 800-746-4726, 24/7. So sorry for your issue.

Emilie

plmoraless

Allentown, PA
Hey I got your message and managed to schedule an appointment. A tech came out and said it was a power outlet issue. He proceeded to plug it in to another outlet. The internet is still the same, painfully slow. This is so frustrating.
encoded mac:efe3783d6ccc5cd049c6b7e285692d2dc64a471c

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
Sadly power-outlet would not generally fix the issue that you are having. Let me ask a few questions..

So probably know where the coax enters your house or residence unless your in an apartment. If you have any form of "splitter" between the wall and your modem can you remove it? Do you have a 3way splitter and are only using two connections get a two-way splitter. The idea is to have as "clean" of a connection between where the signal enters your residence and the actual modem with the least amount of "things" in-between.

Obviously since you you got the encoded mac you know where the speedtest is. You can use this and try to lower your "transmit level" without having to request another service call.

Second thing would be your router. I'm assuming the linksys device connected to the modem is a router and generally you are wireless. Did you try running a speedtest against pa.speedtest without using wireless and via ethernet? You can try changing the channel on your wireless and see if that helps too as well as making sure that you have it set to use only G or N.. and that you are not allowing B devices to talk to the router.

--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

plmoraless

Allentown, PA
I still haven't resolved this issue. Going on about 2 months with this issue. Never had any issues with any other provider. Honestly i'm fed up with RCN and can't believe i'm paying so much for a faster tier of internet when my last test showed .63mbps download. I wouldn't care as i know those tests don't mean much but my internet is unusable.