uniqs

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

Crunchyroll Black Friday

For those who purchased Crunchyroll Premium during the black friday deal last year, do not forget to cancel your membership! Crunchyroll bills their yearly accounts every 360 days, not 365. This means that your account will automatically renew for full price 5 days before your purchase last year.

I'm going to cancel and then purchase it again when the Black Friday deal is announced this year.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 edit

captokita

Premium Member

Interesting. Last year they had the offer prior to the expiration of the year. Wonder if they're going to do it again this year or not. You don't need to cancel, you just need to turn off the recurring - if that's possible. (doesn't appear to be)

But thanks for bringing this up, since my renew date is the same as yours.

I posted in the premium boards section about this. Wonder what kind of reply I'll get from it. You would think their billing cycle would be 1st - last day of month, just for this reason, but that would make it easy, and less likely for unsuspecting fans from getting ganked for $100.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

The terms they use are a bit convoluted. You DO need to "cancel" however the cancellation does not take effect until the period you purchased expires. Note you are only cancelling the premium upgrade, not your whole account.

They process the renewal 5 days in advance because PayPal can take that long to bounce/reject the payment; this is because PayPal processes recurring payments using ACH (electronic check).

/M

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

I recall posting on the premium boards about this last year when I first noticed it. I didn't get any responses. Normally I would have just quietly paid the $100, but I feel this practice is pretty underhanded so I'm cancelling to ensure that I get the discount when it's announced later this month.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to cp

Premium Member

to cp
So what's their black Friday price? Does it change every year or is it the same deal every time?

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

I think it's been the same each year, full access for the price of anime-only, so a $99.99 membership is only $49.99. Overkill for me, as I haven't watched one K-drama this whole year. Before my daughter went to college last year, we watched some Coffee Prince, but that was it. This year though, I don't think I've even looked at them.

My issue with it is the fact they've set it up to double bill people, and that's wrong. Why they don't have subs based on the 1st is beyond me, well, aside from wanting people to not notice a looming $100 charge that is.
captokita

captokita to cp

Premium Member

to cp
Well, I was told by a support person that they WILL be having a black friday deal again this year, but that it will be different from previous years. That was all they would tell me, but that it will be on the 29th.

I had them turn off the recurring billing, so I won't get charged the $99.99, but to keep my access for my Thursday shows I'll have to drop the $6.95 for a month sub, then do the deal on the 29th. How annoying. At least that will put my expiration into Dec. and avoid this problem for a couple of years.

My guess is that they are going to offer a two for one sale. Anime + Manga yearly special, anime + drama yearly special, and a full access deal, that has all three. Since the manga part was just added to the site.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

I just cancelled mine.

If you cancel your automatic renewals within 30 days of your renewal period, they do not allow you to keep using your premium account. Man, these people are some bastards.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

I figured that would happen, which is why I emailed them about it and had them turn off the recurring. Today's my cutoff day.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to captokita

to captokita
said by captokita:

Well, I was told by a support person that they WILL be having a black friday deal again this year, but that it will be different from previous years. That was all they would tell me, but that it will be on the 29th.

I had them turn off the recurring billing, so I won't get charged the $99.99, but to keep my access for my Thursday shows I'll have to drop the $6.95 for a month sub, then do the deal on the 29th. How annoying. At least that will put my expiration into Dec. and avoid this problem for a couple of years.

My guess is that they are going to offer a two for one sale. Anime + Manga yearly special, anime + drama yearly special, and a full access deal, that has all three. Since the manga part was just added to the site.

I'm hoping that they offer something to those of us who recently signed on (Say a discount on adding the manga portion to your remaining subscription)

Curse my inability to wait

Here's a related CR question: Does anyone know what the resolution of CR streamed to a smart TV is vs a PS3? I ask because I recently hooked up my Panasonic plasma to CR after using both a PS3 and a laptop PC via HDMI and I'm wondering if I should have actually bothered?

Though the TV remote is much easier to use with CR than the PS3 gamepad that's for sure

NefCanuck

NightMayor
join:2010-04-28
York, ON

NightMayor

said by NefCanuck:

Here's a related CR question: Does anyone know what the resolution of CR streamed to a smart TV is vs a PS3? I ask because I recently hooked up my Panasonic plasma to CR after using both a PS3 and a laptop PC via HDMI and I'm wondering if I should have actually bothered?

I'd assume it would show the highest quality of video for that show but it would all depend on each Smart TV model.

Anyone know if you are able to stack subscriptions? I bought mine before Christmas then right after there was a sale. So I'm wondering if it's worth waiting or getting another 1 year now.

Anonynonynon
@38.98.60.x

Anonynonynon to cp

Anon

to cp
Uh...I was only billed the discount price and I didn't have to cancel. You can check your "Premium Membership History" to see your charges.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to cp

Premium Member

to cp
Well the sale is on, though a bit different from previous years.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Yeah, $69.99 for all access, instead of $49.99, but you also get a $15 credit in the store. Personally, I'd rather save the $15 here, but it's ok, I got a DVD Set for nothing the last time they made the all access deal with credit. They also added manga, so the increase covering that as well is acceptable.

$49.99 for anime only yearly sub. This also isn't a bad deal, but I went with the all access to keep the manga options, and the dramas for my daughter. You never know, they may add new content later that requires all access to get to.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

I don't know. The store has improved... a lot!

Not going to lie. I kinda want a survey corps hoodie.