Search similar:

uniqs
tev9999
join:2009-09-10
Warren, MI

tev9999

WOW Ultra - Slow Wifi, Good Wired

Appreciate any advice anyone can give.

I have Wow Ultra with the Arris gateway and 15 Mbps internet - Detroit area. I have been having major speed issues with wifi lately. It will be fine one minute, then drop to practically nothing. Speedtest will show between .5 and 2 Mbps.

If I go with a wired connection all is well and I consistently get 15 Mbps.

I also have a Netgear router (WNR1000) connected to the gateway. That will also be painfully slow, which makes me think it is not a problem with the Arris gateway itself.

I have rebooted the gateway multiple times. I also checked all connections and went as far as placing the gateway at the first splitter with no change. Also tried resetting the Netgear router to factory default. Checked with two laptops and two cell phones - all are slow on wifi.

Any ideas?
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count

Do you use UltraTV box or your netgear for your wireless service?
tev9999
Warren, MI

tev9999

I have used both. I was always too lazy to change my phone setup and could never remember the password for the Arris, so I just left the Netgear running along side the Arris. I bounce between them with the laptop. If one is slow, the other is slow.

Right now for troubleshooting the Netgear is off and the Arris is still slow on wifi.
tev9999

tev9999

If this helps, I just installed Wifi Analyzer on my phone. My Arris is running on Channel 1 with a signal strength of -40 dbm about two feet away from it. There is another WOW!4321 network also on Channel 1 that keeps popping up intermittently. There are a couple others showing up on Channel 11.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to tev9999

to tev9999
Change it to channel 6 so it doesn't interfere with yours. 1, 6, and 11 are the only channels that don't interfere with one another.

Also go into your UltraTV settings and change power to max.

UltraTV wireless is weaker than normal. Most people who use wireless seriously at home use a different AP that is hard wired in.

Try not to have both your netgear and UltraTV wireless on and overlapping. I mean separate them in your house if you want them both on. And keep them on different channels.
tev9999
Warren, MI

tev9999

I seem to have it resolved for the moment. I reset and reconfigured the Netear router. It set itself up on Channel 6 and has been solid all afternoon. I also set it up to stay on 6. The Arris moved itself over to channel 11 at some point and seems to be back to full speed also.

Can the Arris be forced to a particular channel? I don't think I was ever given the login information for it.

I will try moving the Netgear across the house. I do have a line wired to the living room, so that is easy. If I still have issues, would it be worth investing in a dual band router? I would need to invest in a new network card for the laptop too.