spc
uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

4 edits

haroldo to Alcohol

to Alcohol

Re: Can/Does Apple do what Google does (snooping)?

said by Alcohol:

The only thing google does differently is that they use the same data to look at keywords and show you better than generic ads.

It does a lot more than that.
If you use Google Now (cards), it will pop up cards based on the content of your messages.
So, if your mistress emails you about a forthcoming tryst at a local motel...anyone innocently playing with your Google Now screen will see a pop up card with directions and traffic to the motel....maybe even a reminder to pick up flowers, liquor and possibly prophylactics.
I tried Google Now when it first came out...it's very intrusive.
Sure, only a fool leaves his account logged in, but it's one thing to be vulnerable to someone snooping through your emails...it's another to see pop up cards related to, presumably, private stuff.
I know everything is read by providers...but Google (IMHO) is a lot more obvoius (and obnoxious) about relying on your emails for content.
www.icloud.com's web page doesn't have any ads...nor, are there any relevant ads anywhere on any of Apple's web sites or platforms (yet ).

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

said by Alcohol:

The only thing google does differently is that they use the same data to look at keywords and show you better than generic ads.

It does a lot more than that.
If you use Google Now (cards), it will pop up cards based on the content of your messages.
So, if your mistress emails you about a forthcoming tryst at a local motel...anyone innocently playing with your Google Now screen will see a pop up card with directions and traffic to the motel....maybe even a reminder to pick up flowers, liquor and possibly prophylactics.
I tried Google Now when it first came out...it's very intrusive.
Sure, only a fool leaves his account logged in, but it's one thing to be vulnerable to someone snooping through your emails...it's another to see pop up cards related to, presumably, private stuff.
I know everything is read by providers...but Google (IMHO) is a lot more obvoius (and obnoxious) about relying on your emails for content.
www.icloud.com's web page doesn't have any ads...nor, are there any relevant ads anywhere on any of Apple's web sites or platforms (yet ).

yes this is a great feature. i am glad google has it. saves me a lot of time.

if icloud.com has spam filter it is reading your emails

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 edit

robbin to haroldo

Mod

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

First of all, don't use your regular gmail account for communication with your mistress. Secondly, why not turn off the gmail mining if you don't want it to access your gmail account. The choice is right there in settings to customize the app for your usage.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Sure, of course, and well understood.
For the most part, I'm very well aware of all features and options.
But in practical terms, I guess I prefer less blatant snooping or intrusions. I switched and all is good.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

If you buy something at your local department store, you may get an ad in your mailbox advertising related items or items at other stores that are related to your purchase. If you get one credit card, you get offers for other credit cards. This has happened since forever. Nothing new.
howardfine

howardfine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

I switched and all is good.

So you think Bing isn't tracking you, eh?
Huffington Post and many others
quote:
But before you decide it's time to use Yahoo! or Bing instead, you might be interested to know that they're often doing the exact same things as Google, despite Bing's infamous "Scroogled" ad campaign.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by howardfine:

said by haroldo:

I've been using Bing for a few weeks now and really haven't noticed a difference.

How would you know?

I find the stuff I'm looking for. I'm more interested in the content, not the specific site that is delivering it.
said by howardfine:

said by haroldo:

I switched and all is good.

So you think Bing isn't tracking you, eh?...

I know I'm being tracked...it's the obtrusiveness of the way they deal with the info they get.
Hey, to each they're own. I may come back to the Google system some day, but for now, I'm trying other stuff.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by haroldo:

I find the stuff I'm looking for. I'm more interested in the content, not the specific site that is delivering it.

That's the point. Google has far more content that's up to date than Bing.