how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldAuditor

join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

[IE] Downgrade to IE 10 from IE 11

On my machine there is no "update" to IE 11 available to uninstall. I have a recent install of Win 8.1. IE is not listed in the "add/remove programs" dialog.

How can I downgrade IE 11 to IE 10. Too many sites are incompatible.

TIA

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
If you're running Windows 8.1 I don't believe you can downgrade to IE 10.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to OldAuditor
said by OldAuditor:

How can I downgrade IE 11 to IE 10. Too many sites are incompatible

You can't downgrade, IE11 comes with W8.1. You can add incompatible sites in the "Compatibility View Settings" to view the sites better.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

2 recommendations

said by bluepoint:

You can add incompatible sites in the "Compatibility View Settings" to view the sites better.

Or...just..... Ok. Ok. I won't mention alternative browsing options in the Microsoft forum.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

bluepoint

1 recommendation

said by Ian:

Or...just..... Ok. Ok. I won't mention alternative browsing options in the Microsoft forum.

Why would you want to do that when IE is the best?

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

said by bluepoint:

You can add incompatible sites in the "Compatibility View Settings" to view the sites better.

~cough~ Palemoon ~cough~

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
cough Chrome cough also IE 11 & Flash Player breaks older site videos. Can find older FP file flash.ocx and put in system32 folder but then some other sites witll need Chrome (built in Flash). Understand pineapple in all forms good for nagging cough... MS needs some.

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM
kudos:26
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OldAuditor

When using Compatibility View settings, while you can add websites, it may be easier to just select the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists' checkbox. This will eliminate the need to continually add sites as needed.

I'm sure that there are many sites not on the MS list that will have to be added manually, but heck, the less you need to add, the better.

Of course, if you are a control freak, then just add individual sites.

bluepoint

said by LoPhatPhuud:

When using Compatibility View settings, while you can add websites, it may be easier to just select the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists' checkbox. This will eliminate the need to continually add sites as needed.

That is the default settings. You only add sites when it is not in the MS compatibility lists.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to OldAuditor
Why is it that every other browser will run, in its current version, on XP, Vista, Win7, 8, and 8.1...except Microsoft's own IE? Do they not see how this makes them look and what a colossal PITA it creates?

Same with all this compatibility nonsense. No other browser forces its users to go through such ridiculous gymnastics so that web sites and pages work.

The mental pretzels the IE manager must have wrapped his/her brain into in order to make this all seem okay/acceptable must be something.

MS more and more looks like The Keystone Kops of software.

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
said by lorennerol:

Why is it that every other browser will run, in its current version, on XP, Vista, Win7, 8, and 8.1...except Microsoft's own IE? Do they not see how this makes them look and what a colossal PITA it creates?

Same with all this compatibility nonsense. No other browser forces its users to go through such ridiculous gymnastics so that web sites and pages work.

The mental pretzels the IE manager must have wrapped his/her brain into in order to make this all seem okay/acceptable must be something.

MS more and more looks like The Keystone Kops of software.

I'd imagine somebody making the decisions still sees it as an upgrade driver for Windows. "You need to upgrade to the latest version of Windows to get the new and improved IE." They don't realize though, that instead of buying the new version of Windows, any IE users will likely just download another free browser.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bluepoint
I thought that using the lists was the default as well, but several people have been posting in the Comcast forums that they were getting an 'Upgrade required' message from Comcast when they tried to access any Comcast website. In checking, the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists' was not selected. When it was selected, the upgrade message disappeared and they could use the site as usual.

When you start IE11 the first time after upgrade you are offered a choice of default settings or custom settings. When I upgraded my Win 7, IE10 computer this morning, after starting IE11 the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists' box was checked. I had selected to use defaults on the first start of IE11.

That raises the question, does selecting the Custom option on IE11 first start turn off the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists'? It would seem this is the case and it makes sense.
--
When angry count four; when very angry, swear.
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2005-2013

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

I'd imagine somebody making the decisions still sees it as an upgrade driver for Windows.

They might see it that way, but I think they'd be wrong; what it does is drive people to install other browsers, and since IE 11 is incompatible with so many web sites, keeps people away from 8.1: It's a two-way lose for MS.

bluepoint

reply to LoPhatPhuud
said by LoPhatPhuud:

That raises the question, does selecting the Custom option on IE11 first start turn off the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists'? It would seem this is the case and it makes sense.

It might as well be. I don't remember the options how I updated to W8.1 from W8 but I ended up with MS compatability lists enabled in IE11.

bluepoint

2 edits
reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

said by BillRoland:

I'd imagine somebody making the decisions still sees it as an upgrade driver for Windows.

They might see it that way, but I think they'd be wrong; what it does is drive people to install other browsers, and since IE 11 is incompatible with so many web sites, keeps people away from 8.1: It's a two-way lose for MS.

IE's compatability mode is actually there so that sites that were written for their older IE(6,7,8) will be backward compatible that's how I assumed its purpose. Eventually, when XP runs out of support and website developers updates their sites, future IE will be minus this option I would think. It's a home made problem they've created.

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
reply to lorennerol
Just for the record, I agree that they are wrong. I might could buy the argument that its just too difficult to back port IE9+ to XP, but not being too difficult to back port IE 10 and 11 to Vista. Vista is far more similar to Windows 7 than most people care to believe.

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by BillRoland:

Just for the record, I agree that they are wrong. I might could buy the argument that its just too difficult to back port IE9+ to XP, but not being too difficult to back port IE 10 and 11 to Vista.

Regardless of difficulty, every other browser of significance runs on XP. It seems, bluntly, idiotic that Microsoft's is the exception.

Of late their motto should be "Microsoft: Making software more difficult to use than it has to be."

Win8, Office 2013, Skype/Messenger, Server 2012, Exchange 2013...every one is tangibly worse and/or more difficult to learn and use than its predecessor.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
Speaking of which, html5test.com just upgraded their tests and the results are in. Chrome scored a new high of 503 with Firefox coming in at 447. IE 11 trailed far behind with a score of only 377, of course.

The site uses actual developer code and tests browsers on many different devices to see if it performs according to web specifications. Basically, if the code works, the browser gets points. If the code fails, it doesn't, though partial support can get you brownie points.

FriedHead

@hotnet.net.il
reply to OldAuditor
Start/Control panel/System & Security/ Select "view installed updates" under "Window update" / find Internet Explorer 11 and Uninstall and it's back to the good old relible IE10

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by FriedHead :

Start/Control panel/System & Security/ Select "view installed updates" under "Window update" / find Internet Explorer 11 and Uninstall and it's back to the good old relible IE10

That may work on windows 7, but not on windows 8.1
There is no update to IE11. It came with the update to 8.1.

IE11 is the only browser that made me install chrome... Sheeze Microsoft get it fixed!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to OldAuditor
I have had Windows 7 on three computers since late May of last year. I have yet to see MSIE.

I'm serious.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OldAuditor
Click for full size
The first time I started IE11 after installation I was presented with this dialog box. This was true for both x86 and x64 versions of Win 7, SP1.

Selecting the default (Use recommended....) will leave the 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists' checkbox selected.

If you instead choose 'Don't use recommended settings', the 'Use Microsoft compatibility settings' will be unselected.

Addendum: I was offered the IE11 upgrade with the patch Tuesday updates for my Win 7 desktop but not my Win 7 netbook. The only difference is the desktop is 64bit and the netbook is 32bit.

Rather than wait to see if it was ever offered for the netbook, I downloaded and installed the upgrade directly from Microsoft.

Here's the link I used:
»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

OldAuditor

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to OldAuditor
1. I have no downgrade option through installed updates.
2. Compatibility mode doesn't work for a lot of sites.
3. The only way I have found is to use F12 developer tools to manually switch to IE 10 or IE 9 mode, and that is not "sticky."

bluepoint

said by OldAuditor:

. Compatibility mode doesn't work for a lot of sites.

Are you using "64 bit Enhanced Protection Mode"?

OldAuditor

Oklahoma City, OK
No. Turned that off early.

bluepoint

When you say, it doesn't work for a lot of sites what exactly is happening?

OldAuditor

Oklahoma City, OK
Using 11 against an Exchange 2007 OWA forced OWA "Light" mode unless compatibility mode is on, then it will not allow attachments in either mode.
Some sites give a http 404 error.
USA Today portfolio will not properly operate unless using manual F12 override.

bluepoint

said by OldAuditor:

Using 11 against an Exchange 2007 OWA forced OWA "Light" mode unless compatibility mode is on, then it will not allow attachments in either mode.

My wife uses Exchange 2010 OWA and no problem with IE11. If you can, report this to MS, maybe they can patch E2007.

said by OldAuditor:

Some sites give a http 404 error.

The 404 or Not Found error message is a HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404
The error might have not to do with the browser.

said by OldAuditor:

USA Today portfolio will not properly operate unless using manual F12 override.

Does this use java? The latest java is not compatible with IE11 when EPM is enabled.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to LoPhatPhuud
said by LoPhatPhuud:

Of course, if you are a control freak, then just add individual sites.

Not "control freak", but privacy concerned. I had to add dslreports to IE 10 compatibility view.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
reply to OldAuditor
hmmm, seems I owe Microsoft an apology.
Today Nvidia released a new video driver that seems to have cleared up most of my problems with IE11.
So give the new drivers a try. 331.82