A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

YouTube's comments now require Google Plus G+).

I noticed this recently and quite (piss/annoy)ed off as well. »videosift.com/video/Guy-bashes-o···t-system (cussing a lot)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWR2-zcAtM

Ugh!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Google wants to be able to track everyone on the planet.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

2 recommendations

I hate to break it to you, but you do not need a Google+ account for them to track you. They're tracking everyone whether or not they have a Google+ account.

/M

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
Well, as I do not have a G+ account (or Facebook either for that matter), it looks like I will never again comment on a youtube video.

Looking through the new "comment moderation tools" one cannot help but wonder how long it will be before they add a "force showing real name instead of username" option, completely silently to the user making the comment of course and retroactive to all comments already on the page.

/M

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to antdude
You can't rate or comment on Android apps in the Google app store without Google +. I hate that. Now Youtube. sigh.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by beck:

You can't rate or comment on Android apps in the Google app store without Google +. I hate that. Now Youtube. sigh.

And soon everything!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Google Play has required Google + accounts to rate apps for a good while.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dib22
The gripes & complaints have not gone unnoticed
»venturebeat.com/2013/11/08/youtu···a-video/

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
My only gripe is that Google have not allowed me to keep my G+ and YouTube personnas separate. Sure, years ago, probably not too long after the acquisition, I took advantage of linking my YT and Google credentials. A related gripe is that I had to create a basically useless Page, which took me some minutes to "turn the volume down on" everything in its profile (no notifications, no commenting on my Page, etc.).

Otherwise I really like G+ (not quite love it). I participate in it daily. But I quite understand the particularly irritated people who, all they want to do is leave a comment on a video, and all the sudden they're faced with creating yet another (linked) entity, for which, if they want to remain pretty much as before, they must spend inordinate amounts of time "twisting knobs" on some configuration pages.

I wouldn't doubt if we see hundreds of thousands of YT abandonments over this, maybe even millions, and not balanced by a whole lot of people flocking to YT because they think it's better this way.

A far more personally irritating behavior which has been added in say the past month or two is changing the display from "About" to "Sharing" when a video finishes playing. It's easy to defeat, just toggle JavaScript off after it starts playing, and you're good-to-go. Still, one of these days I may get motivated enough to write some userscript to remedy this.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to antdude
I like the bug it has seemed to cause since the change. A person now can leave a comment on a video the length of a good size novel lol

I'm seeing many pages being spammed with this flaw.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Forced Google Plus integration on YouTube backfires, petition hits 112,000
quote:
Google's war on anonymity during its involvement in NSA controversy has imploded as its move to force YouTube commenters to use Google Plus - and its unwanted "real name" policy - has backfired.
»www.zdnet.com/forced-google-plus···0023196/

--
Canadians reserve the Right to - Arm Bears

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to beck
said by beck:

Huh? I rate apps on Google play store with my Google+ account disabled and hidden. I get listed as "A Google User". Is that not what you're talking about?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
i can't even imagine why anyone would want to bother commenting on youtube videos. I don't even read or pay attention to them. Most of them are comments posted by idiots.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to La Luna
You have to have a google + account to comment/rate apps at all. I don't have a google + account. So, can't rate or comment.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

i can't even imagine why anyone would want to bother commenting on youtube videos. I don't even read or pay attention to them. Most of them are comments posted by idiots.

It really depends on the type of video.

I frequently watch videos on YouTube of a more technical nature, and there's usually a lot of constructive comments to these videos.

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Some people (I'm not one of them) love G+. I hate it with a passion. I dropped it once when they forced the Play store feedback be hooked to real names, G+ accounts. I relented because I really wanted to praise some app developers and chide others. Now YouTube? WTF? If I weren'y tied so much into Android I'd drop Google completely. There's no way in hell I'm going to iPhone land (much less Windows phones).
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Drunkula:

Some people (I'm not one of them) love G+. I hate it with a passion. I dropped it once when they forced the Play store feedback be hooked to real names, G+ accounts. I relented because I really wanted to praise some app developers and chide others. Now YouTube? WTF? If I weren'y tied so much into Android I'd drop Google completely. There's no way in hell I'm going to iPhone land (much less Windows phones).

Eventually, Google will require G+ on everything including here. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude
Keep in mind that the thing that pays the bills for all these "free" services and sites are ultimately ads and user information, info that can be collated and correlated and then sold to interested buyers in the data marketplace. Knowing (or creating) unique user identifiers makes the adspace and information much more valuable, since it makes the user correlation more effective - whether or not the actual user's ID is kept anonymous from the end data buyer.

Consequently, there will always be unrelenting pressure to force users to give up more and more uniquely-identifying information in more and more scenarios. This makes the marketable data correlation more effective and the end result more financially rewarding for the data collector.

Does anybody actually believe there's no hidden cost for all these "free" social network sites, free-mail sites, and entertainment sites (like YouTube, etc)? As other websites find their costs rising for the "free" services they provide, they'll be tempted as well to hook into the creative pay-back offerings of the various Internet data collectors.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Nobody believes, that there'is no hidden cost for "free" social networks. As no one believes, that those providers don't sell collected (and personal) data to make big bucks in the process. They all do. The question is only where is the limit, where is the balance in that bargain. In this case Google pushes the limit way too far and obviously it becomes inaccessible for some...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by La Luna:

It really depends on the type of video.

I frequently watch videos on YouTube of a more technical nature, and there's usually a lot of constructive comments to these videos.

That makes sense.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,735 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

Nobody believes, that there'is no hidden cost for "free" social networks. As no one believes, that those providers don't sell collected (and personal) data to make big bucks in the process. They all do. The question is only where is the limit, where is the balance in that bargain. In this case Google pushes the limit way too far and obviously it becomes inaccessible for some...

Perhaps nobody amongst this forum believes it's really free... but that isn't necessarily representative of the large (and fast-growing) segment of 'now-generation' users who are addicted to the apparently "free" features of a socially-connected, latest-buzz, entertainment-dominated Internet. "Push-back" from the majority of Internet users is what will really keep the data-mining "limit" from being shoved even further in the direction of total privacy invasion.

But right now, far more users are building their lives around ever-growing "free" services by dismissing any negative consequences of their personal data being mined than are withdrawing from using those services. Were that not the case, those "free" services built upon such data mining would be in decline or would be retrenching from their increasing intrusiveness - but that's simply not the case. The present reality is that a significant bulk of Internet users value their personal data of so little worth that trading it for Internet services and goodies looks like an exchange costing them nothing. Only the future consequences of harsh reality, displayed over time, will convince them otherwise...
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
This is probably not related but YouTube had a major site outage earlier.
»www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5119···own-hard
Also of note - some IE11 TPL's are causing (application hangs) on YouTube.
You may enter a site at Modern IE to render if a site suits IE 11.

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to antdude
Ads can still be served to me without them knowing my real name. I don't have anything against ads, per se. It's Google forcing my real identity when I don't want to be known that I don't like.
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

This is probably not related but YouTube had a major site outage earlier.
»www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5119···own-hard
Also of note - some IE11 TPL's are causing (application hangs) on YouTube.
You may enter a site at Modern IE to render if a site suits IE 11.

I kept getting internal server 500 errors yesterday afternoon (after 2:15 PM PST) during my lunch break.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 recommendation

reply to Drunkula
said by Drunkula:

Ads can still be served to me without them knowing my real name.

Exactly. But Google+ does not have my real name. And they NEVER will.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to antdude
YouTube is up now in all it's advertising glory

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

YouTube is up now in all it's advertising glory

FYI, it's = it is/has. You're welcome. :P

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

said by Drunkula:

Ads can still be served to me without them knowing my real name.

Exactly. But Google+ does not have my real name. And they NEVER will.

They probably do in searches.
--

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
said by antdude:

They probably do in searches.

I suppose they might, somehow. Hard to tell based on the ads I get, since I run Adblock.... But I don't store any google cookies or let analytics run scripts.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong