All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[iPhone] For those that tried Siri and abandoned it... it's vastly improved.

I only fooled around briefly with the first version of Siri, so I can't say for sure how good or bad it was, but know that it was much maligned and considered somewhat of a joke.
I now use Siri ver 2 regularly and find it a wonderful tool. As far as sending quick messages or setting up reminders, it's a lot easier than typing (especially with spell corrector's habit of messing you up!) and when I can't find my reading glasses, it's a godsend.
If anyone tried it and abandoned it...you might want to go back and try it again.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

It's still hopeless with my accent.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
on both my iPad mini (1st gen) and iPod Touch 5th gen i have it disabled. (my old iPhone 4 don't support it). I have always had trouble with any speech software do my voice accent / quality .

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

It's still hopeless with my accent.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dXctq7DM

haroldo
USA

haroldo

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· KhUuZ0Rc
haroldo

haroldo

Is it possible to add more text to text already accepted by Siri? If so, now?
For example, if Siri accepted "remind me to call Bob"...can I use Siri to add a phone number to that reminder...or do I have to cancel and create a new reminder?
Thanks!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Ask Siri if she likes hockey.

Okay, so the pro's to Siri is that it does have a sense of humour, even if it's a little warped or sick at times. It is at least a little fun to use, and it always says something, even if it's a simple "here is what I found" It does have a hard time understanding things unless you speak slow, clear and concise.

So with Google, it's very accurate and it understands my accent, but it won't give any smart responses. Quite often it just splashes suggestions on the screen. It's good, but not fun.

Personally for me, Tablet is iPad, smartphone is Google.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Siri has not performed well lately. I use it alot to "text" and it seems to get simple words wrong. I said "call my phone" and it printed "call my pain" wtf

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I don't know, but for me, it gets the words right ~98% of the time. When using it, I speak more clearly than I do in normal conversation

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I occasionally use it while driving to play music or send a text but it can have trouble understanding me, probably from the background noise in my truck.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

I don't know, but for me, it gets the words right ~98% of the time. When using it, I speak more clearly than I do in normal conversation

Same for me.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by darcilicious:

said by haroldo:

I don't know, but for me, it gets the words right ~98% of the time...

Same for me.

I should have added that the combination of the onscreen keyboard and spell corrector gets the words right ~75% of the time, so from a productivity point of view, Siri is a vast improvement
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to haroldo

to haroldo
What I find funny are the things that Siri still "doesn't know" (I'm assuming that it's licensing issues)

Ask it for this past weekend's CFL playoff scores for example... you ain't getting nothing useful outts Siri

NefCanuck

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
Siri even asked me to help her pronounce a name in my address book - I thought that was pretty cool and she apologized for saying the name incorrectly
easonin
Rock Ridge, FL
join:2008-07-08

easonin

I asked her to tell me a story, and she tells me about how Siri got a job, and then people started asking her weird questions. It was rather long too. Digital speech sounds great in an Australian accent, btw. High-larious.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Yes, I think that Siri has improved. Yes, I like using it when it works.

That being said, here's a recent conversation that I had with this bitch the other day...

Me: I need directions home.
Siri: Sorry, I don't know where that is.
Me: What's my home address?
Siri: Your home address is: --REDACTED -- (100% correct, btw)
Me: I need directions to my home address.
Siri: Sorry, I don't know where that is.
Me: F**k you, Siri
Siri: There's no need for that kind of language.
Me: Kiss my ass.
Siri: Sorry, I don't know what that is, would like me to search the web for kismaz?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by BellBoy:

Me: I need directions to my home address....

I just tried saying directions to "home", "my home" and "my home address" and it worked perfectly.
Not sure what the problem was...did you speak slowly and clearly?

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by haroldo:

said by BellBoy:

Me: I need directions to my home address....

I'm going to guess it got messed up when you said "home address". Try saying "give me directions home".
To a computer, I guess, there's a difference.
Try it

And by the time you've tried all the variations to find one it gets you can look it up yourself.

My car recognizes 650 voice commands. I use about 4 of them. I gave up trying things it would recognize.

Siri is still a gimmick, just like my car's voice control.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

BellBoy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Nezmo

to Nezmo
I edited my post above...
said by Nezmo:

And by the time you've tried all the variations to find one it gets you can look it up yourself....

I just tried saying directions to "home", "my home" and "my home address" and it worked perfectly.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

Yeah, I've tried everything that you mentioned and she doesn't get it. Nothing strange about my address either.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
Looks like to me she has a healthy dose of self respect!

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by Nezmo:

And by the time you've tried all the variations to find one it gets you can look it up yourself....

Perhaps you missed my point.

No, I did not try your example. I am sure it works. My point was that unless voice recognition is more able to recognize more variants then you are often left trying multiple words and phrases before you are understood. In that case you may as well look it up yourself. I've found it easier and quicker to just find the song I want myself or dial a contact, look up a score ...

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Siri, in my opinion, is best for driving, quick messages and appointments or when I can't find my reading glasses.
It's not a complete replacement for the keyboard, but for quick stuff, it's not bad.

And from my tests, it's pretty versatile and can handle many variations on a simple command.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Eat up Martha?