Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

I regret just buying a new car

I bought a 2013 Acura TSX sport wagon.. I hate this drive by wire crap (or what ever they call it).. i can push on the gas pedal and nothing happens.. i let up and push again and it works.. while driving on highway i wanted to change lanes .. i stepped on it and got a 2 second delay it seems.. i let up on the pedal and push again and it catches.. but too late.. so i stayed in my lane.. this is dangerous shit i think..

not only that i get a buzz or rattle out of my dash on passengers side.. which i have to be going 65-70mph on a fairly rough road to get it..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sw3tmCW4

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

When buying a luxury Honda, I'd think post-sale service would be top notch. Have you contacted your dealer about the issues?

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

yes i have.. next tuesday i'll be bringing it in.. my 2004 accord didn't have noises till it went over 100k.. and this DBW sucks..
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
The laggy accelerator didn't show up on the test drive? Assuming it's a feature of the design and not a defect of your particular instance of the vehicle.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

I wouldn't say it's a feature, it could be some ECU funkiness where it is intervening for some reason, or there is something wrong with it registering sudden WOT state.

personally, not a big fan of dbw, mostly because of the ability of the ECU to intervene with throttle inputs to maintain fuel efficiency, it should be at least be a user option to allow 1:1 throttle.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel to dave

Premium Member

to dave
No i didn't notice it at all during the test drive.. a few weeks after owning i notice it.. the first time i was sitting at a light on a slight hill. Stepped on the gas .. nothing.. release it then press again and i have it.. can't hold your foot down or you lurch forward.. look like a fool driving like that..my mechanic next door neighbor says they've been using this in trucks for years..
Rungel

Rungel

Premium Member

from what i'm reading in the forums it's very common

I guess combing this with being a 4 cyl.. makes it worse i bet.. i should have stuck with 6 cyl
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
I had this same issue when I bought my 2006 F150 (back in 2007). I read online if a TSB for that type of issue. I took it into the dealer. It was awhile ago but it went something like them mentioning that it was a different issue. It took just a little talking to get them to agree to flash the computer. It did get rid of the 3 second or so delay to kick down gears and rev up. It dove better after that.

Have you searched online for a TSB? Your better off being informed before you go into the dealer.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Funny you mention this. I was searching but didn't find anything for my year..Now what does TSB stand for.. it's flashing the computer right?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Changes/fixes for problems after a car is released to production.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

said by shdesigns:

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Changes/fixes for problems after a car is released to production.

Thanks.. last time i was there i was complaining about it the hesitation .. she said to tell them if it keeps doing it..

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Rungel

MVM

to Rungel
It decidedly should not be like that. I have a bit of a delay with my dbw - especially if I blip it when at idle but any other time I really don't notice it.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

Maybe this is my problem- I'm a 2 footer- but i don't think i was touching the brake on the highway

»www.tsxclub.com/forums/2 ··· ion.html

I also have/had this problem. Took a ride with the service manager and he noticed I am a two foot driver. He said if I just slightly touch the brake pedal while also touching the gas pedal, the drive by wire system shuts the gas off. I tried doing this intentionally and that is the problem.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

luxury Honda

lol

ReVeLaTeD
Premium Member
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA

ReVeLaTeD to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Geez that's loud. I mean the car itself, not even the rattle. Sounds a lot like the Altima 2011, frankly.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 recommendation

scross to Rungel

to Rungel
I had just the opposite problem while driving a new Kia Sedona rental car a few weeks back. I managed to accidentally activate the gas pedal with one foot while I had that foot pressing down on the brake pedal, trying to slow to a stop. I had to quickly throw the car in Neutral; otherwise I would have rear-ended the car in front of me.

I don't recall ever having had anything like this happen before in my 35 years or so of driving. I did do the two foot driver thing many, many years ago on an old clunker that I once owned, but the engine died almost immediately when I pressed both the gas and brake pedals at the same time. That new Kia didn't seem to know or care that it was getting conflicting signals, though.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

BonezX

Premium Member

well the brake is a physical connection where the gas is an electrical connection, there might also be something going on with either the EBFD or ABS systems causing a reduction in braking power in a dual pedal situation.

if anyone has the gear to read this stuff it would be interesting to see if the abs module is activating during a dual pedal situation where throttle cutoff is not part of the software.
scross
USA

scross

I would have expected that Kia's engine computer to do something like ignore the gas pedal input once it saw that the brake light switch had been activated, especially if it's a drive-by-wire system (not sure). Right off the top of my head I can't think of any good, logical reasons for it not to do this.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to scross

MVM

to scross
I must not understand something because to me the car did what I would have expected Dbw or not. I have never had a car not try to accelerate when hitting the accelerator (with or without the brake on) and I have owned both types of vehicles. Heck, with a manual tranny that is needed with heel and toe technique of shifting. Without hit using both the brake and accelerator, I would not be able to dry the brakes and rotors off after a car wash as fast as I can. People who performance drive do not do anything special to their cars to allow left foot braking or tail braking when they auto cross in their stock vehicles.

All you would have needed to do is take the part of the foot off of the accelerator.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

1 recommendation

justin to Rungel

Mod

to Rungel
I see several reviews of the TSX that mention throttle response is good and the engine is willing. What you describe sounds like something that should be fixed under warranty.
scross
USA

1 recommendation

scross to CylonRed

to CylonRed
There have been enough instances of accidents (sometimes highly fatal ones) caused by unintended acceleration that what I said seems to be a very reasonable thing to do here; if the brake is engaged (at least past a certain point) then kill the gas pedal input. This is already much the same way that the cruise controls works; if you touch the brakes then the cruise control automatically disengages, although the gas pedal still stays active. Brake drying aside, performance driving aside (maybe you have a override switch to allow these functions), if I'm hitting the brakes then there doesn't seem to be any sane reason why I would want to have the accelerator active at the same time.

It is precisely the types of accidents that I refer to here that have given drive-by-wire systems a bad name; these were called into question again a year or two ago after a series of bad accidents and other incidents. In the incident that I referred to, I had to pull over and experiment for a couple of minutes before I figured out what was going on. The pedal configuration was such that, given the wide-soled athletic shoes I was wearing at the time, it was possible to put my foot on the right side of the brake pedal and have it accidentally catch and engage the accelerator if I pushed down past a certain point. I didn't know this at the time it happened; all I knew was that I was pushing on the brake pedal but the engine was revving and the vehicle wasn't stopping. If I had pushed down really hard (which is probably what most people would have done here instead of putting it in Neutral), I don't know if the engine would have died or if the vehicle would have slammed into the car ahead of me.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

in a modern car the brakes can always over-power the engine unless they have been abused.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

The pedal configuration was such that, given the wide-soled athletic shoes I was wearing at the time, it was possible to put my foot on the right side of the brake pedal and have it accidentally catch and engage the accelerator if I pushed down past a certain point.

I had the same thing happen in my luxury Nissan, the Infinity FX35. Big feet and close pedals and a new vehicle added up to a harrowing experience at my first stoplight. Now I'm used to moving bigfoot (size 13 Wide) a bit to the left on the brake side. And I'm a one footer.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Yes.. i just hope i can get it to do the same thing when i bring it in next tuesday
scross
USA

1 edit

scross to justin

to justin
Apparently not - and this certainly wasn't happening in my case. The car wasn't accelerating but it wasn't slowing down, either.

Here's one of the worst accidents that I recall reading about. The driver was in a loaner car from the dealer, and there was talk of this maybe being a floor mat problem, but I don't recall what they decided in the end. This guy was an off-duty CHP officer, BTW, so it's not like he didn't know what to do here or how to handle a vehicle driving at high speeds. They said his lack of familiarity with the vehicle's unusual shifter arrangement probably contributed to the crash.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news ··· ash.html

»www.10news.com/news/4-ki ··· entified

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Rungel

MVM

to Rungel
I guess power braking in a car with DBW is ruled out!
scross
USA

scross

Which is an incredibly stupid thing to do anyway, so all the better for it!

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

2 edits

CylonRed to scross

MVM

to scross
Unintended accel has zero to do with this. There are very few true cases of unintended accel , very, very few. The pedals are working as intended. Please do not allow the dumbing down of driving even more.

I would disagree the cop could have done many things to prevent the accident including the #1 thing, turn off the car. There are also questions about the cause - it looks like the floor mats had far more to do with the issue than anything else.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

in the case of the lexus hybrid the rental place put a floormat on a floormat which ended up obstructing the pedal.

test drove a newer car and i did notice the pedal was extremely light in comparison to cable throttle, so it would be very easy to not realize you have pushed the pedal in, and if your used to a specific amount of pedal feedback and you span across the brake/gas you would be very unlikely to notice that the accelerator is activated as well.

the brakes not working while accelerator is active is still something that doesn't make sense to me, unless there is something intervening in the braking system reducing the force applied to the piston.

as i said, i would want to see the status of the EBFD and ABS during a dual pedal application in a car that does not have brake over-ride.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
test drove a newer car and i did notice the pedal was extremely light in comparison to cable throttle, so it would be very easy to not realize you have pushed the pedal in, and if your used to a specific amount of pedal feedback and you span across the brake/gas you would be very unlikely to notice that the accelerator is activated as well.
We test drove a Toyota van several years ago before we bought out Honda. One thing I did not like was the ease of the accelerator. My first comment to my wife was that is was easy to push down - I knew that within a few seconds. All it takes is paying attention to the feel of your feet and more importantly, what the car is doing per input. The Toyota was probably dbw and my current 2001 is dbw but the Toyota was night and day easier than my car and far easier than the Honda which I think is dbw.

I dislike how much of driving for most people is get in and drive without any iota of thought as to how things are. How the pedals are placed and how easy it is to activate or inactivate things. This, imho, leads to far more accidents than anything else and going further down that path to me - is not good.

Also funny is that by negating the accelerator with the brake - I lose some ability to start a manual transmission on steep hills or in slippier conditions when I release the clutch, have the break on and use my heel (or toe) to start pressing down the accel - just before releasing the brake.

Personally I would prefer a pure mechanical link for the accelerator than dbw but I don't want driving dumbed down even more.