easonin
Rock Ridge, FL

join:2008-07-08
reply to scross

Re: I regret just buying a new car

said by scross:

said by Hall:

Have you ever done it ?

Never. In fact, at one point in my life I had to drive a high-end sports car (not mine, and not my choice to drive it, either) which had so much power that I had to be very careful not to let the rear-end break loose on me.
And once when I rented a car I ended up with a similar vehicle (again, not my choice) with similar power issues, and I couldn't wait to turn that car back in at the end of the week. I told the person who had arranged that rental for me never to get me a car like that again, and instead to put me in something dull and boring.

Similar Power Issues?!!?!!!???!!
Do you even know what power braking is?? Because it sounds as if you don't.
And just because you can't handle a powerful vehicle, does not mean that others can't. There are plenty of us that can, and do, daily.
How can you say that power braking is an incredibly stupid thing to do? Please, elaborate on this statement.
--
"oh noes, another one of our rights has disappeared! Oh well, at least we still have our reality t.v.!"

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
I agree - he doesn't know what it is. I'm sure Google searches and YouTube videos will be consulted in the meantime though...

Now, I honestly can't think of a good reason to power-brake other than FUN though !

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Rungel
Yes, I'm perfectly aware of what it is. Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the types of idiots who do things like this - and I've always tried to avoid them as best I can (I also avoid web sites populated by such idiots as best I can). No, I don't like to driving a car which has so much power that I could easily lose control of it, and then have trouble getting that control back, if at all.

Yes, I used to be a teenage boy myself (I assume that all of you talking about how great this is are teenage boys). I had friends who were constantly tearing up their cars (and a few other things) because of crap like this. They were also constantly calling me to come give them a hand with repairs, because I actually knew a little bit about cars and had a decent set of tools. I learned a few things here, but this BS got old pretty fast.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to Rungel
Connecticut Lemon Law booklet

»www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/pdf/publi ··· 2010.pdf

Pete Stone

@rr.com
reply to scross
said by scross:

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of what it is. Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the types of idiots who do things like this - and I've always tried to avoid them as best I can (I also avoid web sites populated by such idiots as best I can). No, I don't like to driving a car which has so much power that I could easily lose control of it, and then have trouble getting that control back, if at all.

How is the highlighted sentence possible with it being intentional ?

This is possible with ANY vehicle.

When I was an early twenty-something I had a car that would "light them up" from a dead stop unless you were easy on the gas and this was FAR from a high performance vehicle.

In most cases, "power-braking" gets old due to the expense involved with doing it a LOT(yes I speak from experience), or age.

"Neutral drops" were fun too.
Expand your moderator at work

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
join:2001-12-05
CT
reply to IowaCowboy

Well I've gone through 1/2 tank of gas.. mobile high test.. no rattles and the car responds well with the gas pedal... could have been the transition from summer gas to winter also I'm thinking..

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Pete Stone
Have you ever driven a sports car with a 7-liter (give or take) engine under the hood?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
What car was this ?

scross

Cordova, TN
This has been 30 years or so ago now - a vintage Trans Am. "The last of the really big engines", or so I was told.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1
solid axle, leaf springs, positrac, short final drive, most likely a 4barrel carb, way undersized tires.

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Rungel
said by Rungel:

could have been the transition from summer gas to winter also I'm thinking..

It's not. It will happen again.

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog

join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ
reply to Rungel
A family member had a 2009 TSX. Same engine/transmission, no problems with the accelerator. I would certainly notice it since I only drive the car occasionally. Last time I drove it, I somehow managed to spin the front tires accelerating onto a highway (short on-ramps with fast moving traffic), so I can't say throttle response is a problem. I blame that on the crap Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s they continue to saddle these cards with.

Aside from a few recalls regarding rattling windshield trim pieces (should be fixed from the factory in a 2013), it has been a trouble free car.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
said by CGMason14:

Aside from a few recalls regarding rattling windshield trim pieces (should be fixed from the factory in a 2013), it has been a trouble free car.

When i picked the car up after buying it they noticed the outside front window trim was no installed right.. on the left side.. but so far the accelerator seems to be working fine.. might have to stay will either Shell or Mobil gas..
--

'rocking the awakening mind'!

id09542

join:2002-04-25
Bloomington, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Rungel
I have the exact same issue with my 2009 GM car, DBW 4-cylinder. Dealer has flashed latest tranny codes and all research I have seen says this is how it is supposed to work. Something to do with emissions control, fuel mileage and wear & tear on the drive-train. Most noticeable when slowing down then accelerating, like when stopping for a red and it changes to green before being stopped. I have learned to live with it, but it is a bit disconcerting when you are turning in front of another car and the car lags on you.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
said by id09542:

I have the exact same issue with my 2009 GM car, DBW 4-cylinder. Dealer has flashed latest tranny codes and all research I have seen says this is how it is supposed to work. Something to do with emissions control, fuel mileage and wear & tear on the drive-train. Most noticeable when slowing down then accelerating, like when stopping for a red and it changes to green before being stopped. I have learned to live with it, but it is a bit disconcerting when you are turning in front of another car and the car lags on you.

This is exactly it.. it has happened once again but noticeably to a lesser degree.. driving in a parking lot at idle almost.. and taking a sharp left turn into the spot i seemed to get a dead spot for a second..
--

'rocking the awakening mind'!

Expand your moderator at work

DSL987

join:2000-03-22
Helotes, TX
reply to Rungel

Have owned a 2009 TSX until my son wrecked it, and now have a 2010 TSX, both great cars and never had any problems what so ever with either of them.