All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bucolic
@rr.com

Bucolic

Anon

Remote buttons not responding well. Is it worn out?

When I watch a recorded show, I usually fast-forward through the commercials. When I press the forward arrow, it might not respond until I press it 2-4 times. Then I press it again to speed it up to 2 arrows (and it may take a couple of presses to get it respond.) Then when I am ready to stop the fast forward, I press "play". And it might not work. It speeds right by where I wanted to stop. So then I have to use the reverse play, and it might be hard to stop, too. The "select" button also does the same thing. The remote is a year old. For the first few months I had this remote, it seemed to fast-forward, reverse-play, and stop real easy with just 1 press of the button. The batteries are new. If I take this in to the Customer Center and get a new remote, is that likely to solve the problem? And does TWC charge for a new remote? Thanks.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by Bucolic :

When I watch a recorded show, I usually fast-forward through the commercials. When I press the forward arrow, it might not respond until I press it 2-4 times. Then I press it again to speed it up to 2 arrows (and it may take a couple of presses to get it respond.) Then when I am ready to stop the fast forward, I press "play". And it might not work. It speeds right by where I wanted to stop. So then I have to use the reverse play, and it might be hard to stop, too. The "select" button also does the same thing. The remote is a year old. For the first few months I had this remote, it seemed to fast-forward, reverse-play, and stop real easy with just 1 press of the button. The batteries are new. If I take this in to the Customer Center and get a new remote, is that likely to solve the problem? And does TWC charge for a new remote? Thanks.

No charge, just take the old one in to any TWC store for an exchange. You will need to reprogram it to control the On/OFF functionality for your TV and as most people do, the volume. You may, or may not get programing instructions. If you don't get instructions, do an on-line search for the model number for your remote, and you will get information on how to set it up to control your TV.

Corresponding remotes (both DVR and non-DVR) models will work for the respective boxes. In other words, all DVR remotes should work with the DVR boxes and all non-DVR remotes should work with all non-DVR boxes.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"In other words, all DVR remotes should work with the DVR boxes and all non-DVR remotes should work with all non-DVR boxes."

There are non DVR remotes?

Hob
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"In other words, all DVR remotes should work with the DVR boxes and all non-DVR remotes should work with all non-DVR boxes."

There are non DVR remotes?

Hob

Has this changed? I have had DVR service for the past six years. Before that, I had just a digital cable box with a digital remote that had no DVR functions on it.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Satch:

Has this changed? I have had DVR service for the past six years. Before that, I had just a digital cable box with a digital remote that had no DVR functions on it.

I cant speak for your area and something that was around 6 years ago. I have about 20 different remotes in my office from TWC and previous cable companies and not a single one of the is a non DVR remote.

Hob
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

The only non-DVR remotes I've seen are for the DTAs.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

I cant speak for your area and something that was around 6 years ago. I have about 20 different remotes in my office from TWC and previous cable companies and not a single one of the is a non DVR remote.

Hob

Wow - and I thought when I did cable support for another provider having 12 or so remotes to manage was bad..

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell to Bucolic

to Bucolic
Before you turn in the old remote. Read the stored codes for the TV and what ever else you have controlled by that remote. Its somewhat confusing to program the new remote..

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

How do you "read" them?
jwsan
join:2002-03-04
Encinitas, CA
ARRIS SB6141
Asus DSL-N55U

jwsan

I had a similar problem and exchanged remote for a new one, as I have many times in the past. The only problem is that in my area (Northern San Diego County, Carlsbad) they are giving out Philips remotes only. They can not (as far as I can tell) be programed for 30 second forward skip. This applies to all DVR's. So I now have a Motorola DVR that can not utilize all its available actions. They have 2 Philips remotes 1 for Motorola and 1 for Samsung.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_ to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
1056b03 remotes suck see if you can get a 1056b01 remote. you can program 30 sec skip with the b01 remote
you can get them for less then 10$ on ebay

watch out for newer rev Atlas b01's non color coded on demand button is a older rev..(not sure if it can be program into the newer rev.)

also you can do 5min skip using page up(forward 5min) or down(back wards 5 min) this can be useful for skipping ads for 1 hour+ shows some channels only use 4min:30 seconds some are 5min 30 sec (this is were the 30 sec skip comes in) and normally 5min exactly

30second skip is also compilable with on demand only premiums , selected categories and titles .

it's not available in some major network categories.

ISPFreeAgent
@ncsu.edu

ISPFreeAgent to Bucolic

Anon

to Bucolic
I have this issue too with TWC. I've been all over the country with Comcast, Adelphia, Charter, Fios and U-verse. This is the worst responding remote/service. I've had my main DVR box replaced twice - each time they came with new remotes.

Like you said, surfing through DVR recordings is slow as molasses in winter. I like to blaze through and delete my wife's 10 recordings of "The Real Housewives of Whereever", when they have the occasional marathon. With TWC's remote, I have to click OK, arrow etc. With the delay, sometimes it chooses another option.

With new boxes, new remotes and new batteries, the only common problem is Time Warner Cable.
jwsan
join:2002-03-04
Encinitas, CA
ARRIS SB6141
Asus DSL-N55U

jwsan to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
The DVR they gave me is a Philips RC122. It works with the Samsung SMT-H3272. The 5 min skip using page up does not work with it! Not sure if it is remote or box. The only thing that works to more forward is the arrow key. Am I missing something?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

using a Motorola box here DCX3800 series

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

BOGBS to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
I had an SA 8300HD box that was always slow to respond, no matter what remote was used. If a new remote doesn't solve your problems, you may want to try a new box. I have a Cisco 8742HD that generally doesn't have the slow response. If it gets that way, a power cycle usually helps

Bucolic
@rr.com

Bucolic

Anon

I'm pretty sure it's not the STB. I've tested the remote by pointing it at the wall, and half the time the CBL indicator light doesn't come on unless i press the offending button multiple times. My remote is a UR5U-8790L-TWD. I hope to get a new one soon.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
The light should come on each press, and some what bright or not dim, but thats hard to know unless you have 2+ remotes in the house.

Bucolic
@rr.com

Bucolic

Anon

Exchanged remotes today. New one seems to be working fine. Thanks to all for your comments.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Bucolic :

Exchanged remotes today. New one seems to be working fine. Thanks to all for your comments.

Thank goodness for that!

Hob