Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to brutus

MVM,

to brutus

Re: Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

+1 for pyTiVo. That alone makes a TiVo better than any other DVR.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

I looked for videos on pyTiVo on youtube but didn't have any luck.. Does anyone know of a good walkthrough video that isn't 4yrs old?

How do you play mkv's and such? The FAQ was last updated on 2008 saying it didn't play them well, this leads to me believe this is a dead product now?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It's under very active development:
»repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git
»pytivo.sourceforge.net/w ··· Releases

I don't know of any walkthroughs - you shouldn't really need one. Download the latest release and take a look at the read me, it should tell you whatever you need to install. On OS X, it just works. On modern Linux, it either just works or requires a few "apt-get" or equivalent. No idea about Windows.

Then you go to http ://ip of computer:9032/ and finish configuration. At the same site, you can browse through your video files, pick one, and push it to the TiVo.

As for MKVs, I use the lucasnz branch of pyTiVo. It will automatically convert MKVs into MP4s (with no transcoding if possible) and send the MP4 directly to the TiVo. TiVos don't support DTS, so it will on-the-fly convert DTS to AAC or AC3. I think some of these changes were merged back into the main branch, and it doesn't look like the lucasnz branch has been updated for awhile, so maybe it's time to switch back.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

Well, those aren't lucasnz changes to begin with; they're mine. The main differences in his fork were the option to extract transport streams (which I now have), and a separate mobile (iOS-oriented) web UI (which I don't have yet).

I'm afraid a video walkthrough would be pretty dull for a program that mostly just dumps plain text to a terminal window, but I guess it's something to think about. The documentation is largely outdated, I know.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by wmcbrine:

Well, those aren't lucasnz changes to begin with; they're mine. The main differences in his fork were the option to extract transport streams (which I now have), and a separate mobile (iOS-oriented) web UI (which I don't have yet).

Was hoping you'd come by to clear that up. I had a feeling I was "off", but couldn't remember getting mkvs to work properly a while ago until I switched to his branch. Thanks for the correction