how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

workman

join:2004-02-04
Sierra Madre, CA

[DSL] Advice on switching from Fixed IP to PPPoE

I am contemplating a switch from Fixed IP to PPPoE and would like the forums member's advice.

My setup... The phone line to the DSL Modem, into a NetGear FV318 Firewall/Router, behind that a wireless access point for all the Apple devices in the household and a number of PCs/laptops that are hardwired to the Router.

Although the Fixed IP provides with 5 or 8 IP addresses I have only every used one.

My DSL background... I started with DirecTV Internet and had fixed IP. I loved that service but when they decided to discontinue the service I had to look elsewhere. I ended up with Earthlink PPPoE and hated the service. My primary issue was with PPPOE and the Firewall/Router. From time to time Earthlink would require me to reset the PPPOE connection and they wanted/needed a PCs MAC address which the Firewall/Router could provide. But most times the reset never went well and I was tired of listening to the support person running through a script and having me try useless activities. As soon as I learned about DSLExtreme I dumped Earthlink and PPPoE and have had Fixed IP service ever since. I work for a large international CPG company and my DSLExtreme connection has been better than work.

In the past I had production support responsibilities and was required to VPN into work to troubleshoot issues with the nightly batch on our data warehouse system. That responsibility has now been outsourced and I find myself logging into work through the VPN less and less. I still work from home from time to time and am required to VPN into work for meetings using LiveMeeting or IM sessions.

My current service is 3000/768Kbps Connection in a Verizon area. I think my line will support 7100/768kbps which should allow me to double my speed while at the same time reduce my cost of internet service if I switch from my current Fixed IP to PPPoE with DSLExtreme.

Given my setup, past experience and current work needs I was wondering if any of the forum members had any advice for me on make a switch.

For those that have PPPoE service with DSLExtreme, how do you like it? Do you have to reset your connection often? If so, how smooth is the reset?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Michael

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by workman:

For those that have PPPoE service with DSLExtreme, how do you like it? Do you have to reset your connection often? If so, how smooth is the reset?

My experience with PPPoE is from AT&T. I don't understand your description of a "PPPoE reset"; it does not sound like anything I ever experienced. When I set up an ancient Westell WireSpeed B90-36R516, AT&T did not require the modem MAC address. When I changed it out for a Siemens SpeedStream 4100, AT&T did not require the modem MAC address. Maybe that was an Earthlink requirement?

I never understood the point of PPPoE. When I left AT&T for Sonic.net, their "Fusion" service, I went from ADSL/PPPoE to ADSL2+/DHCP, so PPPoE is not a technical requirement for DSL service; probably just a convenience when the telco already uses PPP for dial access.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

workman

Sierra Madre, CA

Yes, PPPoE reset is not really an accurate description. Under Earthlink I would lose internet connectivity and I was required to re-establish the PPPoE connection. This was several years ago... if I remember right I think Earthlink was expecting that the PC would connect to the DSL modem and you'd login or do something to configure the PPPoE connection. But since I had the hardware firewall in between it added a layer of complexity I guess.

I think I am just looking for assurances that DSLExtreme service over PPPoE would be just as "set it and forget" as the fixed IP service I've enjoyed for several years.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I am going to guess they will be more like AT&T than Earthlink. Initially, I was running Enternet 300 on Windows ME; Westell was just a bridge, and Enternet 300 was a PPPoE "connectoid". I added a Linksys router later; putting the PPPoE credentials in the router. The SpeedStream had the PPPoE, when I got it; though I eventually bridged it, moving the PPPoE back to the router.

I don't remember how Enternet 300 handled disconnects. The routers, and the SpeedStream, would automatically attempt a reconnect without user intervention.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jscarville
Premium
join:2013-09-21
Glendora, CA

1 edit
reply to workman

I had PPPOE many years ago with Earthlink. It worked OK but I constantly had to fiddle with it to get it to work with NAT. As soon as I could switch to an IP assigned directly to my router I did. IMO, it does not work well with the kind of shared, always on connection I want these days. I know I wouldn't go back to PPPoE unless I had to.

workman

Sierra Madre, CA
reply to workman

Thanks NormanS and jscarville for your input and perspective.

Ledgem

join:2011-09-30
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to workman

I've been using DSL Extreme for over a year now, and have never needed to think about the connection. I have a DSL modem operating in bridge mode, and my router (Airport Extreme) handles the PPPoE connection. I have it set to never time out and always remain connected, and unless connection drops have occurred when I wasn't home, that's the way it has remained.