how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blingo

join:2013-11-11
norway

6rd br gateway

Hello. I work for an ISP and we are planning to deploy 6rd. We don't have any routers that supports 6rd br yet, so I'm looking for software router / vmware image that can act as this role. Would be nice to have in the testing stage so we can prepare CPE firmware and other aspects.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

What kind of routers are you running? Most carrier grade (or commercial grade for that matter) have a 6RD option, although it's not always clearly labeled as such.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by cablegeek01:

What kind of routers are you running? Most carrier grade (or commercial grade for that matter) have a 6RD option, although it's not always clearly labeled as such.

I agree and I would go the hardware option and not the software option.
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

blingo

join:2013-11-11
norway

1 recommendation

We have mostly cisco 3550, 3750 and 4500. Some old and some new. Couldn't find that any of them supported 6rd br so we might go for an ASR unit. In the meantime I have set up an ubuntu installation to act as a border router. As far as I can tell it works fine, and we can start testing cpe's. We might also use it in production at a small scale since this is just a supplement for nodes where we don't have hardware that supports dual stack.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15

1 recommendation

reply to blingo

3550s are long EOL and not likely to support IPv6.

Exactly which make / model of the 3750 did you have? G? E? X?

I'd suggest talking with your Account Rep or hitting up cisco.com/go/fn -- there's a feature IP Tunneling - 6RD
IPv6 Rapid Deployment. Is this what you're looking for?

Regards

justbits
More fiber than ATT can handle
Premium
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to blingo

Consider that if you're putting effort into 6RD, you could just as well go right to native IPv6. The customer impact is in having to reconfigure their gateways later for your native IPv6 deployment.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to HELLFIRE

said by HELLFIRE:

3550s are long EOL and not likely to support IPv6.

c3550 do not support ipv6. more to the fact that the ipv6 ethertype is seen by the switch and it is seen as a "non ip" packet.

fun fact -- you can use this to do some pretty funny stuff to mess with people.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."