share rss forum feed

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
Pearland, TX
kudos:4
reply to rody_44

Re: fake TV franchise fee popped up again

said by rody_44:

Depending on your local franchise agreement, some pay a franchise fee and some dont. A franchise fee is what comcast pays to lease the ROWS in your township. The franchise fee gets passed directly from comcast to your local township. Franchise fee arguments can be taken up by your local township as much as comcast. Like i said that fee gets directed to your township. NOT COMCAST. You do know that comcast has to get the line to you somehow. Usually thats by renting the ROW and that what the franchise fee is. Its up to your township or city not to charge it. NOT comcast

except I haven't had this fee since I signed up 2.5 years ago. this fee just started popping up last month.

and yes, I do understand your explanation but that's not the answer.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

Might be the answer. Have you checked with your local franchise to make sure nothing has changed in their agreement with Comcast?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to medbuyer
You might want to reread your bill. It isnt worded tv franchise fee (its just under tv subsection). Its worded franchise fee. While some state and federal agencies dont allow taxes on internet only accounts a franchise fee isnt a tax. Its the actual fee that goes to your local township for the rent of the ROWs. Most certainly something that has to be done to get service to you and is usually covered under your franchise agreement between comcast and your township. Your township decides who pays and who doesnt under that agreement.
A csr nor a random person on the internet is going to know why after 2 years its getting charged. To find that out your going to have to have it escalated at which point you would find out its either a mistake or your local franchise agreement requires it. Most franchise agreements can be found online thru your local township web site. You can probably get answers from that. I guess i misunderstood the part where you titled your thread AGAIN. Still doesnt change what a franchise fee is and why some people get charged and some dont. Also doesnt change the fact that its not a fake fee and that its a fee that gets sent to your township and comcast doesnt get anything out of.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by rody_44:

You might want to reread your bill. It isnt worded tv franchise fee (its just under tv subsection). Its worded franchise fee. While some state and federal agencies dont allow taxes on internet only accounts a franchise fee isnt a tax. Its the actual fee that goes to your local township for the rent of the ROWs. Most certainly something that has to be done to get service to you and is usually covered under your franchise agreement between comcast and your township. Your township decides who pays and who doesnt under that agreement.

I see the "Franchise Fee" on my residential TV bill (and it recently went up from $1.27/mo to $2.29/mo), but I don't see it on my Business Class HSI bill. I wonder if I would see it on my Business Class HSI bill if I didn't also have a separate residential TV account (FWIW, the two accounts are billed to different names)?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
You see leeches feeding off one when a thousand would yield more blood. But as a general rule most franchise agreements never took mention of business class internet only accounts.