spc
uniqs

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

Re: What's the best/proper Coax cable to run?

Click for full size
Attached is layout of my new apartment. Entrance door is in the bottom left corner. Closets are not drawn, but you can imagine the fill in the caps.
My room will be the top "bedroom".
I am planning to ask electrician to run CAT6a cables.
I'm hesitant of putting 'meet me' spot in closets because equipment might get cooked/start a fire.
I'm thinking of making a small shelf right above the entrance door and running all the cables from there. That way CV/VZ won't have to run their own cables too far into my apartment.
However, I'm a bit hesitant about running multiple lines to there. It is going to be at least 3 RG6 lines (or maybe that 1694A if it makes sense), maybe 4 if we'll do kitchen too.
Plus at least 3 CAT6a lines...I'm afraid all these cables might not fit under the baseboard molding. :/

CBSwest57
@207.237.90.x

CBSwest57

Anon

then go with coax and forget the cat6. coax can carry RF and moca if needed which cat6 cant carry video. most of your data will be wireless anyway.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

"most" of the data will NOT be wireless. It will be wired. A single wifi won't cover the whole apartment, which is why if I want to install more than 1 I wanted cat6 in each room.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

invest in a wifi extender
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to MxxCon

MVM

to MxxCon
JMO, having a wired network is great.
Deanski
join:2009-09-30
Norwalk, CT

Deanski to MxxCon

to MxxCon
There are many good cable housing structures for all the home runs of the CAT6a and RG6 so if the electrician is pulling cable, may as well do both at once.

Wherever the closest place is to the Cablevision drop the better. This way, all terminations are done there and everything is a home run to that location from each drop.

Most cable runs will be pulled through walls rather than baseboard unless you do not have approval to penetrate the walls to run cable.

There are some nice molding conduits that can be used on the face top of any baseboard to hide all cables, so that's the other solution for surface mount cabling. These conduits can be painted to match and blend in.

Regards,
Deanski