uniqs
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

[IE] ie 10 won't download programs

I've been away for a while, so please bear with me. IE 10 on win7 pro. IE will not download anything from the internet. Trying in with java download, nothing. Java verifier, nothing. No error, no run or save. It doesn't do anything, except for the little circle before the http in the address bar. It goes very quickly. No error in the action center, no new tasks. This has been going on for a while. I have to use google to download anything. If this issue is known, please direct me to the thread.
Thanks
Tim
joewho

joewho

Premium Member

Screw it. Since I'm having problems on my Admin. Acct. but not the other User account, think I'll download 11 and get caught up. Thanks for any replies to this thread though.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
Perhaps try resetting your browser settings to factory defaults?

I also think it's a good idea to do this before updating to a new version of IE. Although not necessary.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Done, and dl'd 11. Same thing. I tried ms dl of software to install from a usb. It takes me to the page, but when it's time to click the download page, it just blinks. I can't even get to a page with an exe on it. Not many programs installed, so I can't figure it out. As I said, I have another user that has even less installed and it works fine.
joewho

joewho

Premium Member

This is really frustrating. I've tried everything, still won't play videos and simply won't download anything, even from ms site. Am using Chrome to display msn homepage. Crazy.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
Did you try resetting everything within Internet Explorer to the defaults? When you installed the new version all of your settings from the older version would've transferred so if the problem was within the settings you wouldn't have gotten rid of it.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho

Will other browsers work?

If resetting IE doesn't work, my suggestion would be to create another admin account and try that.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to joewho

Mod

to joewho
Also, does it work if you restart the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking"?
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
The other admin account does work. However, it's bare bones with very few services running. Haven't been on the computer for 1 1/2 years, so I'm trying to catch up. Same thing in 10, I completely uninstalled 10 and downloaded 11 with Chrome. I admit that I like the msn homepage. So, I have that loaded in chrome, but it's frustrating.
joewho

1 edit

joewho to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy
Auggy, It does work in safe mode. Simply going to the ms download site, it appears to work correctly. Most of the same services are running, but search indexing and the other search service is not running. I'll try turning that off in the main account.
UPDATE: It did download directx file, but nothing else. I usually go to java and try downloading shockwave as a test. That doesn't work either. It works in chrome and it works on ie11 on the barebones "tweaked" account, but not on my account in safe mode or normal mode.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

If it works in "Safe Mode with Networking" try a "clean boot" and see if it makes a difference:

»support.microsoft.com/kb ··· 35/en-us
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

It didn't really work in safe mode w/network. I use the shockwave download as a test. Works fine in chrome. Clean boot did not work in IE. Just a blank box where the download should be.
joewho

2 edits

joewho

Premium Member

Task mgr. lots of svchost.exe running. I have no idea why there are so many. Anyway, if anything jumps out at you, let me know please.
Thanks.
EDIT: This is for all users...which may explain why there are so many?

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to joewho

to joewho
System restore?
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Thanks MisterM, but I need just a bit more info.

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to joewho

to joewho
Sorry, I just noticed your original posting of almost 3 weeks ago. Probably not much help at this point.

Good luck, though, I hope you can get it sorted.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy to joewho

Mod

to joewho
That looks normal.

Can you explain about the "blank box" where the download should be?

Also, when you reset IE you followed the directions in the following link and chose to delete personal settings?:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Yes, I've reset IE and deleted personal settings. This started in 10, so I did an uninstall and d/l of 11. At the java site, there is a "download now" bar. It opens another page. 1st screenshot is what happens in 11, 2nd is what happens in Chrome.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

You may have to set IE as the default web browser:

Start > type set your default programs in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter"

Click on Internet Explorer > Set this program as default > OK
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Done, Auggy. Still the same. However, I tried to add the shockwave site to "trusted sites" in settings. Was denied because it's an http rather than https.....

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

said by joewho:

However, I tried to add the shockwave site to "trusted sites" in settings. Was denied because it's an http rather than https.....

You could remove the checkmark in front of "Require server verification (https) for all sites in this zone" to add the site.

Maybe try also changing the download location:

IE > Tools > View Downloads > "Clear list > then click "Options" > then "Browse" to a new default download location.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Once again thanks Aug. I'll get to this soon and reply.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

I've gone back to 9 after trying 10 and 11 (under Windows 7). No end to the trouble watching videos (if they'll even play). Seems like Chrome or Cool Novo (formerly Chrome Plus) is a much better solution.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by takeahike:

Seems like Chrome or Cool Novo (formerly Chrome Plus) is a much better solution.

Well ... of course.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

To be honest here, if the download window of Firefox is interfering within the Internet Explorer window, I'd almost look as a minimum to uninstall Firefox, after saving the relevant profile information of course, corrupted or not, and then redoing what auggy is suggesting from the outset in-regards to Internet Explorer rebuilding.
Not really conducive to your comments.