Expand your moderator at work
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

microphone to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4

Re: [Content] the weather channel local on the 8s changes?

I believe the Direct TV boxes are cued to automatically display local weather information during the "local on the 8's". I'm not aware of any local info on Dish.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
As far as those at the NWS, they have no ill will about the situation, from what I've been told.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to camper

to camper
said by camper:

said by telcodad:

No, that their naming of winter storms (similar to tropical storms) was not accepted by anyone else in the weather forecasting community:

Wow, I did not know that the weather channel was so roundly criticized.

I really don't think they are, it's just speculation, but kinda irrelevant.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

I can't wait until weather nation comes on air next year. I don't think Comcast will carry it though since it will compete with the weather channel. Wonder how weather nation will do local forecasts? Unless they affiliate themselves with local tv stations but then what about markets that don't get a local affiliate to pick up the network?
Also how will they do local forecasts on directv or dish network? They don't carry sub channels.
Sounds like an excellent idea to start weather nation but a lot of work to be done to pull it off and compete with the weather channel.

The Weather Channel is owned by NBCUniversal. Guess who owns them? Comcast.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

So probably no network weather that launches 10/1/14. All i know is weather channel isnt about weather anymore like mtv and cmt aren't music anymore.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Mmm I'm not sure I agree with that since I watch a large majority of their programming (have it on right now) and most of their shows are in some way related to the weather like performing jobs in treacherous weather conditions or the effects of it.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Yes but im looking for forecasts not entertainment.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to mikedz4

to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

Yes but im looking for forecasts not entertainment.

Yep, way too much fake reality trash as it is, TWC is just jumping on it to get ratings when the weather is not good enough.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yeah, all that sunshine and calm windless days suck right? lol

I get what you mean.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I would not mind having a real weather channel take over the channels currently used by The Weather Channel on my Comcast service. I know it will never happen because, as you note, Comcast owns TWC.

But it would be nice to have a real weather channel once again, and not the reality garbage that TWC currently airs.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to mikedz4

to mikedz4
Very glad to see DirecTV call TWC on its reality-filled crap, the idea that TWC is some sort of public safety necessity channel is utter BS. They are way too full of themselves about this stuff and completely ignore all the full-on local channel coverage of significant weather in almost every area.

No one needs TWC.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Since the announcement of the launch of the 24/7 AccuWeather Channel in the third quarter of 2014, the company has seen a groundswell of positive support.

Well, what did they expect?

The weather channel has forsaken weather information for the profit of the Almighty Dollar.

The weather channel has lost its way, and now there is a new channel that will actually provide weather information, and not brain-dead (but cheap to produce) reality shows.

I cannot wait until (futile, I know) until Comcast provides the AccuWeather channel.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4
Maybe they should work on getting Weatherscan available in lower tiers...

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 recommendation

DaveDude to mikedz4

to mikedz4
i would be happier if TWC was removed , so a real weather network replaced it.