MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo

Re: Mac Mini as cloud server?

said by onebadmofo:

I simply would like to share files. Allowing users to have FULL access to create and delete as needed.

I'd also like to be able to access those shares via web page so that users on Windows, Mac, and iOS have access to them without the need of a VPN connection.

Server will save you time implementing a web server, so if time is money then it is probably worth the $20 to buy Server.

As Thinkdiff said, in many ways OS X Server is just a GUI to configure the built-in servers. There are some additional features, I think, but primarily it allows you to easily configure and use features bundled with every Mac.

I don't have much time and happy to have paid $20 for Server, primarily used for VPN and caching software updates.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by bbarrera:

said by onebadmofo:

I simply would like to share files. Allowing users to have FULL access to create and delete as needed.

I'd also like to be able to access those shares via web page so that users on Windows, Mac, and iOS have access to them without the need of a VPN connection.

Server will save you time implementing a web server, so if time is money then it is probably worth the $20 to buy Server.

As Thinkdiff said, in many ways OS X Server is just a GUI to configure the built-in servers. There are some additional features, I think, but primarily it allows you to easily configure and use features bundled with every Mac.

I don't have much time and happy to have paid $20 for Server, primarily used for VPN and caching software updates.

Ah, so there isn't much to it then?

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

said by onebadmofo:

Ah, so there isn't much to it then?

Saved me a lot of time, $20 well spent on OS X Server. And that coming from someone capable of command-line setup of Apache web server and Postfix/Qmail mail server.

I have OS X Server installed, turned on webserver, made a simple web page, and now Windows/Linux/OSX computers can download files from that web page. I thought that is what you wanted?