ISP SUMMIT
@videotron.ca

ISP SUMMIT

Anon

2013 Canadian ISP Summit

How did it turn out today?
Full house?

Speeches? Who gave them?

Any particularly hot topic? Maybe Bell's Data-Grab? Or Surveillance in general?

Who spoke? What did they have to say?

What goes on during this ISP Summit?

Ressa got the grand tour by JF. Maybe Ressa will have some things to say on what she saw and heard?

Has anyone else here gone? If so, how was it? What was it like?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Word came out of the summit that the SmartRG modems aren't just coming to the IISPs, Bell is switching to them too. Apparently 11 different ISPs wanted them, which prompted SmartRG to develop the stinger fixes and get them certified by Bell.

ISP SUMMIT
@videotron.ca

ISP SUMMIT

Anon

About time.

Are you able to refresh our memories abut the stinger problems?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by ISP SUMMIT :

Are you able to refresh our memories abut the stinger problems?

The two main issues with the Stinger/Sagem combo would be:
- Sync-no-Surf
- 30-35Mbps PPPoE pass-through speed wall unless you apply the telnet hack to mess with its settings

ISP SUMMIT
@videotron.ca

ISP SUMMIT

Anon

ah yes, I forgot about the speed wall. TY for jogging the memory.

Was there anything else?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to ISP SUMMIT

Premium Member

to ISP SUMMIT
Was a fun day. My feet are killing me though. lol.

If you wanna watch yesterday's ION conference, you can watch it here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ge#t=837

Met a lot of people.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to InvalidError

to InvalidError
Well the underlying issue is that Stingers are not VDSL2 Standard compliant, leaving only a handful of VDSL2 gateways compatible with Stinger DSLAMs. IIRC, from threads I've read here, they were Pre-VDSL equipment rolled out as ADSL2+ remotes that only needed a software update to enable VDSL2 but they never worked as they should have had.

The obvious fix is to replace them with 7330s but that would be costly without lending ride their life cycle process. The SmartRG SR505n modems are pretty solid, especially ifone just wants a bridge modem.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to ISP SUMMIT

Premium Member

to ISP SUMMIT
Had a long talk with the SmartRG people. Was quite interesting. After a lot of bull, Bell realized how good these modems were, and ordered themselves some.

Apparently their shipment shows up today.

ISP SUMMIT
@videotron.ca

ISP SUMMIT

Anon

said by resa1983:

Had a long talk with the SmartRG people. Was quite interesting. After a lot of bull, Bell realized how good these modems were, and ordered themselves some.

lol sounds like you could add a bit more to this.

Who paid for certification? Wasn't it somewhere around $12K per modem or per firmware certification? Did Bell cut them a financial break at least? That was a stupid price.

What else went on? What other little things did you hear?

Oh yeah, you were surrounded by male geeks, were the male geeks to shy to talk to a girl haha
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

I could add more.. But I won't.. Not publicly anyways. Suffice to say its an interesting story, and the people from Bell who deal with certification are not worthy of any sort of respect.

Rogers was charging 8K for modem certification. No clue how much it is for Bell.

SmartRG paid for certification following a lot of nonsense. No clue on the cost.
SmartRG is process of certifying a Cable Modem on Rogers, Videotron & Cogeco, which should be completed by the end of the month.
SmartRG had like 8 vdsl modems at their table, despite only 1 being certified for Bell's network. 1 of which had 2 voice ports, but no backup power source.

Sagemcom is working on certifying a new DSL modem, which has 2 voice ports. They're also working on a Cable Modem.

As for the 'geeks' part.. I stuck mostly to JF, since I didn't know anyone. For the most part, I was quiet and taking things in while JF schmoozed with people.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to ISP SUMMIT

Premium Member

to ISP SUMMIT
I believe SmartRG paid fer cert

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ISP SUMMIT

MVM

to ISP SUMMIT
Interesting that they had a unit with voice built-in. That's unusual for DSL. I bet some of the IISPs would find a use for that. Too bad about the lack of a built-in power supply; it'd be far more efficient (both electrically and logistically) to have the battery built into the modem for that.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

1 edit

resa1983

Premium Member

The ones with the built in ATAs are huge.. At least 2-3 times larger than the current SmartRG that is being used. I don't even see them on SmartRG's website...

However, one is actually interesting, because it can sit upright, but if you pull off the stand and push the stand onto the side of it, you can wall-mount it easily.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
The DSL/voice combo is more common on enterprise hardware, at least the ones I've seen. Makes sense though to provide that on consumer grade hardware now that VoIP usage is growing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ISP SUMMIT

MVM

to ISP SUMMIT
Odd that it'd be so large, ATAs themselves can be extremely small.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

they were Pre-VDSL equipment rolled out as ADSL2+ remotes that only needed a software update to enable VDSL2 but they never worked as they should have had.

And the reason for that from what I remember reading about it is hardware flaws Ikanos thought they could get around of through firmware patches but ultimately couldn't due to insufficient spare processing power on the DSLAM to emulate or correct the flawed circuitry in software... so they opted for the next best thing: do what they can at the DSLAM and compensate for the rest at the CPE's end.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

1 recommendation

frankhomeand to ISP SUMMIT

to ISP SUMMIT
Talks about:
IPv6:
-Canada has 0.4%
-Australia has 0.5%
-US is way ahead.
DNSSEC:
-Methods about registering your domain as a certified domain
-Should be quite simple.
-Manual registration for now.

Looking forward to SmartRG certification, with their many devices.
They are also looking for Cable Modems.

There were also talks about using prefix-lists for Routing Table filtering for BGP which was quite interesting.

I'm just taking this on a Students perspective :P, and I only went on the first day as same as Ressy.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by TypeS:

they were Pre-VDSL equipment rolled out as ADSL2+ remotes that only needed a software update to enable VDSL2 but they never worked as they should have had.

And the reason for that from what I remember reading about it is hardware flaws Ikanos thought they could get around of through firmware patches but ultimately couldn't due to insufficient spare processing power on the DSLAM to emulate or correct the flawed circuitry in software... so they opted for the next best thing: do what they can at the DSLAM and compensate for the rest at the CPE's end.

The Stingers don't even function "properly" as ADSL1/ADSL2+ remotes, with their trademark low upstream SNR bug, causing Bell's line optimization software to automatically reduce people's upload speeds even further, not to mention they've NEVER been able to come close syncing at 1088k upstream sync the profiles are set to.

They were just a terrible choice for equipment, and they'll be haunting us for many years to come.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to ISP SUMMIT

Premium Member

to ISP SUMMIT
Tweets:
#crtc is stepping up its wired internet performance/speeds measurements. Asks ISPs to cooperate. #ISPSummit
CRTC to meet with key stakeholders over next quarter to explain new broadband measurement project #ISPSummit
CRTC VC Menzies stresses the importance of deciding whether FTTP should be mandated in upcoming essential services hearing #ispsummit
CRTC Menzies: Not our responsibility to ensure individual ISP success but to ensure your ability to succeed #ISPSummit
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

Tweets:
#crtc is stepping up its wired internet performance/speeds measurements. Asks ISPs to cooperate. #ISPSummit

CRTC to meet with key stakeholders over next quarter to explain new broadband measurement project #ISPSummit

About bloody time. Are they using the US FCC test suite or are they rolling their own? Best thing the CRTC could do is to open the testing suite spec for public comment BEFORE they code/implement. The raw data captured MUST be publicly available for analysis by anyone (just like Statscan data is).

Something along these lines »Re: [Cable]Congestion on ATIPA from 9:30p.m.-11p.m

CRTC VC Menzies stresses the importance of deciding whether FTTP should be mandated in upcoming essential services hearing #ispsummit

It ought to be mandatory.

CRTC Menzies: Not our responsibility to ensure individual ISP success but to ensure your ability to succeed #ISPSummit

Those words sound nice, but they have to be backed up aggressively with a steel backbone to stand up to the incumbents.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

I stuck mostly to JF, since I didn't know anyone. For the most part, I was quiet and taking things in while JF schmoozed with people.

If you post a photo of JF in the act of said schmoozing, I will send you sufficient funds for a large snack pack of timbits, and I'm good for it, just ask JF.

Mike
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Sorry, only have 1 photo with JF - he took it while we were sitting listening to one of the talks.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Ah well. Something to keep in mind for the future.

He is sorely missed here. Hope the absence ends soon.

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

He still visits here regularly. just doesn't post...

But I wish he would come back, his info especially during the CRTC proceedings is invaluable.

Just ignore the idiots, just everyone else.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

1 recommendation

andyb to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
JF relaxin in Teksavvy Lounge

At Teksavvy Lounge

Probably eating one of these

Eating

Pics from @ispsummit

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

Bell realized how good these modems were, and ordered themselves some.

Wow!

the people from Bell who deal with certification are not worthy of any sort of respect.

Tell us what you really think

SmartRG is process of certifying a Cable Modem on Rogers, Videotron & Cogeco, which should be completed by the end of the month.

Double wow!
or should that be Wwoww?

It is all about price though..
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to ISP SUMMIT

Premium Member

to ISP SUMMIT
Also:
Pretty much everybody watches DSLR..
Including the SmartRG people. They're watching your comments, and said they're happy that the modem is getting good reviews from people using it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

They should start posting! nothing better than communicating with a device manufacturer directly, just like we have the priviledge of communicating with out ISP's here.

ISP SUMMIT
@videotron.ca

ISP SUMMIT to andyb

Anon

to andyb
JF drank the Bell Kool-Aid and Andy ate the candy.

Everything is just going to hell.

Anyone go to today's events? Anything to post on the panel Geist was on?
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

There were a bunch of tweets..
»twitter.com/search?q=%23 ··· realtime