cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Re: To whom ever is getting the PS4, or XBox One at launch could you do a review

Ha. Yeah I thought the same thing when it happened!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 recommendation

justin to DarkSithPro

Mod

to DarkSithPro
I can't get used to
"press the options button to start the game"
ie I miss the start button
now I know how windows 8 people felt.

still, the controller is AWEsome so it's ok.

bf4 is announcing a patch next week to address issues. I only see about 300 people playing on the long list of servers right now.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Yeah, I miss the Start button too. My biggest problems with the Options button are that it's not raised enough from the controller fascia (thus hard to find by feel alone) and it's too far north for me to comfortably reach without contorting my hand. Fortunately it's not used too much.

Otherwise, though, the DS4 is such an enormous improvement over the DS3 (which I could not stand) that I'm very happy.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

1 edit

Cabal to justin

Premium Member

to justin
How's the weight of the DS4? I have two Sixaxis controllers on my PS3 and never upgraded to the DS3, primarily because I love that they're light as a feather (approximately 2/3 the weight of the DS3, per Wikipedia).

Edit: Also insane battery life.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Same here, I kept my SIXAXIS forever and never even picked up a DS3. The DS4 is certainly significantly heaver than the SIXAXIS given that the latter had no force feedback motors in it. DS4 feels about the same weight as a standard 360 controller, although according to Wikipedia it is lighter (210g vs. the 360 controller's 265g when equipped with batteries). The weight doesn't bother me.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin to DarkSithPro

Mod

to DarkSithPro
one unexpected thing with the live streaming; 24 hours a day you can find people streaming every game for sale. Not sure about a game just watch a stream and ask a question in chat. how is it? It makes a purchase that much more comfortable.

I picked up motherload on that basis, not from the game description or even reviews, just from watching someone play it. great game btw yeah it's an ipad type casual / roguelike game but the controller is much better than touch.
joel321
join:2013-04-13
USA

joel321 to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
I want to take my ps4 apart and I think I will

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to DarkSithPro

Mod

to DarkSithPro

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· l4XvkOks

Nice "first impressions" video (nice for Sony, at least).

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to DS1192

Premium Member

to DS1192
said by DS1192:

I have been keeping up with launch of the PS4, reading several articles, and forums. The PS4 has had quite a few issues, mainly Amazon purchasers, and many claim Amazon put absolutely no packaging in some of the shipments. Also, one user is right, Foxconn, has apparently hired interns, and they could not graduate unless they worked for Foxconn, they were over-worked, and underpaid, bad shifts. How much care would you put into the consoles under those conditions? Add the fact that millions of consoles are being produced, and the nature of how people work under stress and load, there are going to be defective consoles on launch.

A user on a forum posted his conversation with Sony in regards to his defective console, and they asked for the consoles serial number, and once the user told Sony the number, they already determined it needed to be replaced, without troubleshooting. Sounds like they linked a bad batch or something. We just need to wait for Sony to receive the bad consoles, analyze what is wrong with them, and why, where they came from, and strengthen QA testing. I personally am getting a PS4 eventually, but I am waiting for things to smoothen out internally, and by then more games, and more stable firmware, and network services.

I have not known anyone locally with an issue with their PS4, and some streams people did on launch lasted over 12 hours. The PS4 is a solid console, just issues on production I believe.

Also, I am concerned about the wobble, all they need to do is include a sticky rubber foot/pad that we can put on the one corner on the underside.

Who is Foxconn?
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

one unexpected thing with the live streaming; 24 hours a day you can find people streaming every game for sale. Not sure about a game just watch a stream and ask a question in chat. how is it? It makes a purchase that much more comfortable.

I picked up motherload on that basis, not from the game description or even reviews, just from watching someone play it. great game btw yeah it's an ipad type casual / roguelike game but the controller is much better than touch.

Oh wow, that's really cool. I could see myself using that.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to joel321

Premium Member

to joel321
said by joel321:

I want to take my ps4 apart and I think I will

Take pics or video of the progress.

Cabal
Premium Member

Cabal to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Who is Foxconn?

Taiwan manufacturer, they build just about everything for everyone. Apple, Sony, every computer company, etc.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn
Cabal

Cabal to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

That's great. Did you happen to notice what the bandwidth usage is for streaming?

STREAM ALL THE GAMES!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
said by Cabal:

said by onebadmofo:

Who is Foxconn?

Taiwan manufacturer, they build just about everything for everyone. Apple, Sony, every computer company, etc.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

Aahhh, ok. Makes sense then.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to Cabal

Mod

to Cabal
I didn't check, but if you go ok twitch.tv you can find some ps4 streamers and investigate what the highest rate is. as a viewer it adjusts up or down automatically. It isn't streaming out or viewing in at 1080p but it's good enough for casual watching. I would be curious to know myself whether it hits the best quality twitch.tv offers. Ustream is getting about 10% of the traffic perhaps because they are listed second?

Cabal
Premium Member

Cabal to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
It's my understanding that the video player doesn't show codec or bitrate information like the PS3 did. That was a nice feature when working with transcoding vs. remuxing in DLNA servers.

Perhaps in the future.
joel321
join:2013-04-13
USA

joel321 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
I will be taking it apart this weekend. I can snap a few photos and post them here.

The_ANoN
@charter.com

The_ANoN

Anon

The PS4 controller is nice.... but yeah I do not like the Share and Options button locations.. The touchpad is pretty wide so I guess they really couldnt do much about those buttons? Anyway its not a big deal for me.. The battery life in the PS4 controller isnt anything to brag about either.. The DS3 batter lasted significantly longer before needing a charge. The PS4 controller might last you a day or two.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

yes i agree the controller battery life is worse than the older controller, perhaps because of the light and speaker and extra touch pad, or perhaps the bluetooth audio. Don't know. It probably lasts I don't know, 6 to 8 hours not sure yet.

But the win is that you can plug it in when you are done, and it charges while the console is on standby. Always a hassle on PS3 unless you had powered usb ports close by.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to joel321

Premium Member

to joel321
said by joel321:

I will be taking it apart this weekend. I can snap a few photos and post them here.

Should be cool to see.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

yes i agree the controller battery life is worse than the older controller, perhaps because of the light and speaker and extra touch pad, or perhaps the bluetooth audio. Don't know. It probably lasts I don't know, 6 to 8 hours not sure yet.

But the win is that you can plug it in when you are done, and it charges while the console is on standby. Always a hassle on PS3 unless you had powered usb ports close by.

Can you plug it in anywhere? Like in an outlet using an iPhone or iPad charger?
My DS3 controllers are old and don't last very long, so I guess when I get the PS4 this will be something I'm used to.

I would just get a second controller and charge one while using the other. When the battery gets low, swap controllers. You always have one that's charged. (like I do now)

TSI James
TSI James
Premium Member
join:2008-02-22

TSI James to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
»www.metacritic.com/game/ ··· tation-4

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin to onebadmofo

Mod

to onebadmofo
its a regular mini USB charging cable

Cabal
Premium Member

Cabal to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Can you plug it in anywhere? Like in an outlet using an iPhone or iPad charger?
My DS3 controllers are old and don't last very long, so I guess when I get the PS4 this will be something I'm used to.

I would just get a second controller and charge one while using the other. When the battery gets low, swap controllers. You always have one that's charged. (like I do now)

If you don't mind spending, there's an officially-licensed $25 charging station that will charge two controllers on AC.

For the PS3, my wife bought me a charging pad that had a small clip-on adapter with metal contacts for each controller. Worked nicely while the console was off.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to DarkSithPro

MVM

to DarkSithPro
So far my Xbox One is working great with one possible issue with Telus. First impression is holy crap this thing does a lot and I find I'm using the voice commands more then I would have initially imagined, but there are also gestures so there is actually some stuff to learn in order to take full advantage of its abilities.

I got the Forza 5 bundle and setup went smoothly and it was great how it pulled my information etc from my live account (including my avatar etc). It downloaded an update and was off to the races. We tried out Skype with the grand kids as that was an important feature to us and it didn't disappoint. Played Forza 5 and its official I suck at games as my daughter pummeled me badly. Its cool how my Drivatar is likely helping people feel good about themselves as they beat my Drivatar, but its a cool idea. The game is fun and the graphics are incredible.

The Kinect user recognition is very impressive and makes logging in a non issue. I had my gamer nephew and his friend show up to try the Xbox One out so he quickly setup his account and his friend played as a 'guest'. I'm sure Ryse: Son of Rome is going to eat at him and the ability to put up clips of games is going to be way to attractive to him to pass on for long (gamers love to share their glory moments and bragging highlights, so this is a brilliantly done feature).

Netflix etc worked great, but being able to use my Windows Phone, Surface etc (Xbox One SmartGlass) is very cool and helpful. I have a number of apps installed and they work rather well at making everything seem like it should belong on the Xbox One (and share with my other devices). The Skydrive was nice for showing pics and videos and the wife loved watching movies of the grand kids on the big screen.

The only issue I've hit so far is making Telus Optik work within the Xbox framework and with One Guide, and I've posted a question on the forum asking if anyone has that working correctly.

Otherwise I'm a pretty happy camper with my Xbox One and no doubt I'll be picking up some other games etc for it soon.

Blake

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

capdjq

Premium Member

Sounds great, the Xbox One, but couldn't MS built one without that giant power brick. Sony managed to build a sleek design with more, theoretically, more power. Not a great fan of consoles, just an observation.
Here's a classic for sale

»vancouver.en.craigslist. ··· 905.html

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin to DarkSithPro

Mod

to DarkSithPro
battlefield 4 conquest with 64 players is epic I had 5 straight hours on it last night.

people don't stick with their squads, missing out on points, and everyone wants the best vehicles, and loses them, but that's only to the advantage if you sort of know what you are doing.

I don't have great reflexes but had a couple of very good half hour rounds among the few other half hour wipes - even though every map was new to me.

can't wait to play more!

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Looking forward to buy my xo when the next halo installment releases.

isp10002
join:2012-10-24

isp10002 to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
You guys think its worth upgrading from a xbox 360 to a xbox one?

DslrMark
join:2000-06-29
Lawndale, CA

DslrMark to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
Got my xbox one with cod ghosts yesterday I'm a PC Gamer and it took me forever to get used to the controller but everything else about the XB1 is perfect and the switching between video modes with voice is just awesome.