how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Geot

@verizon.net
reply to TAZ

Re: [Caps] Comcast New 300GB Monthly Limit And Overage Charges

Good points...content providers are killing them on TV and voice is a barren wasteland between people going cell only and various VOIP low cost provders that run around $5/mo for unlimited LD

TAZ

@qwest.net
said by Geot :

Good points...content providers are killing them on TV and voice is a barren wasteland between people going cell only and various VOIP low cost provders that run around $5/mo for unlimited LD

Agreed. Between the constantly increasing carriage fees and the outdated channel model, I don't see a long-term future for TV services as they are now. Comcast is happy to increase TV prices to pay for higher carriage fees, while other providers try to play the PR game to avoid increasing prices, but the problem is that both approaches result in reaching the "it's just not worth it now" threshold and people drop those services.

The channel model is outdated because viewing a specific channel at a specific time to watch something, is just archaic IMO. The 21st century approach is to decide what you want to watch and watch it, whenever and wherever. The on-demand services can probably fill in some gaps here, though.

Let's not forget the other shortcoming of their short-term approach: customer service. While this may be a more sensitive topic, cable companies and telecoms in general have horrible customer service. (Having dealt with Comcast quite a bit several years back, I would call their CS the worst I have ever received from anyone.) What this means is they have no goodwill with consumers. This isn't sustainable. Competition is improving, albeit very, very slowly. We're seeing this with municipal broadband efforts and, to a much lesser extent, focused efforts like Google Fiber. When this happens, consumers will remember how they've been treated by the (former) oligopolist, and given the choice between competitive services and the former oligopolist, all offering similar services and pricing, I guarantee the choice will not be the former oligopolist.

The execs would be smart to take that into account and maybe look a little into the future. Quit taking advantage of their current market position, look long-term, improve service quality, improve customer service, be reasonable with pricing, and maybe in 10 years (or whatever) when there's some actual competition, their customers will remember how much they like their cable company and will have a reason to stick with them.

How much do any of you want to bet Provo and Chattanooga won't be seeing this cap?

TAZ

@qwest.net
I should also add that their poor customer service, or as I'd prefer to call it poor customer goodwill, will affect their short-term growth.

You see them already trying to get into smaller markets like home security and home automation. I consider these to be last-ditch "growth" efforts. Obtaining any kind of market share here will be impossible for them. Not only are these long-established markets, they are relatively easy to enter (relative to, say, trenching cables throughout a city) with a lot of competition. Nobody who has dealt with Comcast CS is going to choose them for any service that has a reasonable competitor.

The absolute last place I would want to deal with if I had problems with a security system, would be Comcast CS.