uniqs
share rss forum feed

robertf390

join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY
reply to nycdave

Re: The Weather Channel - New Graphics starting today

Hi Dave / Jeep -

Thanks for the responses - I was told via email from TWC each unit costs $6,000 which is why I questioned why we didn't have it yet. Clearly if it cost millions as you say, it not reasonable.

I'd be happy to forward you the email he sent me if you want to dm me - they should not be passing out inaccurate info. It's from Robert Farmer. The whole point of this new roll-out was to provide local info 24/7 - even during commercials which made it seem practical.

And as Jeep says, Comcast doesn't offer it either, which is hard to understand since they own TWC via NBC Universal.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by robertf390:

Hi Dave / Jeep -

Thanks for the responses - I was told via email from TWC each unit costs $6,000 which is why I questioned why we didn't have it yet. Clearly if it cost millions as you say, it not reasonable.

I'd be happy to forward you the email he sent me if you want to dm me - they should not be passing out inaccurate info.

If we take what Dave said - need one unit per VSO (FiOS TV equipped central office), it is easily many millions.

I don't think the number of Verizon VSOs is public knowledge, but here's a list of the central offices just in south east PA:
»www22.verizon.com/wholesale/atta···tePA.pdf
Now some of them are closed or virtual or might not have FiOS, etc. But the point is Verizon has a lot of COs to cover one geographical area. I estimated roughly 70 per page at 6 pages. That's $2.5 million at the price TWC sent you. Not hard to imagine it would cost a ton to cover the entire FiOS footprint - and the ROI is basically zero.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!