Look Outside

1 edit

fartness (banned)

Ranger thermostat housing

Click for full size
gasket.PDF
150,657 bytes
01 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L

When I got my timing belt and water pump done, I gave them a thermostat to replace also. The shop ended up saying the bolt on the thermostat housing was rusted, so they didn't replace it. I just bought a new thermostat housing and will have a shop (maybe not them) replace it. The shop is honest though, but dumb for not fixing the issue.

1. Will I need new bolts when I get my new thermostat housing installed?
2. If so, what is the model number for the bolts?
3. What is the book time for this job? Appx. cost to install this? Dealer said one hour, which seems cheap. I remember needing a thermostat years back and it cost probably $150 for parts and labor.
4. Can my coolant be saved? It's new.
5. Will the air need to be burped from the coolant?
6. Will I need another gasket (8255 part) that is different than the o ring that Amazon considers a gasket? The Amazon picture is accurate with what the housing came with.

This is what I bought:
Amazon.com: Motorcraft RH83 Thermostat Housing: Automotive

I will post an engine diagram with parts numbers that the dealer sent me when I get home. EDIT: Posted engine diagram.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by fartness:

1. Will I need new bolts when I get my new thermostat housing installed?

Only if the old bolts are badly corroded or break coming out and have to be drilled out. Normally no, you just clean up and reuse the bolts.
said by fartness:

2. If so, what is the model number for the bolts?

Model Number is none, However the Part Number is listed there in your image.
said by fartness:

3. What is the book time for this job? Appx. cost to install this? Dealer said one hour, which seems cheap. I remember needing a thermostat years back and it cost probably $150 for parts and labor.

One hour like the Dealer said. The Dealer uses book time.
said by fartness:

4. Can my coolant be saved? It's new.

It won't require draining all the coolant out of the system, but what you drain out before you take it apart can be reused if you use a clean container to drain the coolant into. Easy as pie, ok?
said by fartness:

5. Will the air need to be burped from the coolant?

Always bleed cooling systems when refilling them.
said by fartness:

6. Will I need another gasket (8255 part) that is different than the o ring that Amazon considers a gasket? The Amazon picture is accurate with what the housing came with.

Yes, always use new gaskets, it not much money and it is cheap insurance.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I can't find the gasket online (reference question 6). I see different part numbers that have the 8255 in it. Any ideas?

Also what does the thermostat housing connect to? The lower radiator hose and what else?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by fartness:

what does the thermostat housing connect to? The lower radiator hose and what else?

You mean the Upper Radiator Hose and a heater hose, going by the location being on the end of the cylinder head along with the images of the part below. Plus two (2) sensors you will plug the harness back into...

You can just match the bolts up at any parts store if you are unable to reuse the old bolts, as they don't have to come from Ford.