uniqs

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

The Lake Effect snow machine is in full swing already!

Woke up this morning and looked outside only to witness a veritable "whiteout"! Had some periods of flurries throughout the day, and they're predicting anywhere from ½" to 3-5" by morning, depending on how the snow bands route across NE Ohio. We got about 1½" last night, but as soon as the sun came out, it pretty much started melting away. It looked kind'a pretty until I realized that the wet snow seems to have dragged a lot of the remaining leaves out of my oak trees... after I spent hours yesterday cleaning the yards up. Now it looks like I'm going to have to repeat the exercise when it warms up a little this weekend. Oh Joy... Oh Joy!!!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

We just had about an inch or so in Mentor. If this is Lake effect, I am unimpressed. I'm still waiting, after 7 years to see a "Lake effect" snow storm. But then again, I guess being originally from upstate NY [around Albany] it would take a lot of snow to impress.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Pacrat

MVM

to Pacrat
Keep it up there old man - I can't get snow tires on my car yet. Not sure when we down here are going to get snow but I think by the weekend it is supposed to be mid 50's lower 60's...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
You do realize that "lake effect" snow does not necessarily mean a lot of snow right on the lake, don't you. It takes the uplift of being somewhat inland to really turn it on. Lakeshore snowfalls are not usually as heavy as lake effect falls further inland. Jefferson (Ashtabula County) had well over 5" of snow yesterday. That's why Chardon gets hit so heavily... it's inland and high enough to really activate the snow machine. The warmer, moist air comes across the lake and then gets uplifted into the colder air inland, and results in some pretty spectacular snow events. There in Mentor, you may be too low or close to the lake to see real "lake effect" events.

Where we are, about mid Trumbull County, we're on about the southern extreme of the lake effect snow phenomena. It usually peters out just north of here, but occasionally, the snow bands make it this far south. I've seen sunshine and a trace of snow right here, and 11" of snow on the ground, and whiteout conditions just 6 to 10 miles north of here.
Pacrat

Pacrat to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
I haven't used snow tires since I started putting radial tires on my vehicles. I do always maintain good tire tread on my vehicles, but I quit using snow tires by the late 70's.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I have to with the wide tires the bmw has - especially now that I have an hour drive. First time I have ever used snow tires. Really don't need it for small events but a bit of ice and couple inchss of snow - yea i am going to take them. If it was my civic hb - just really good all seasons.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to Pacrat

to Pacrat
Hehehehe... no snow in the Ozarks. But then round here all we'd get would be Pond Effect snow storms.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I lived in the Ozarks. One year the snow was 18" and another is was disappointing 16". NWA gets slammed good on occasion, too.