In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Issues installing SSD

Hey guys,

I just got me Samsung EVO 250GB drive and I have been trying to install it as my primary boot/OS device, however, in doing so, I often get an error stating that the drive is locked? Can someone explain that on to me?

MY second problem is, every place I read they say to do a fresh recovery of the OS on the SSD. ASUS does not give you any windows disks to make life easier. They insist that you create your OS restore device on an external USB drive. All you store on there when you make your recovery disc is the OS and the ASUS apps.However,when trying to use that drive to do a clean install on the SSD,the applicatoin gives you know way to select the USB as your recovery device. Has anyone come across this? Any ideas at all? I would be .

Device stats:

Laptop: ASUS G750
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB

SSD attempting to install is the Samsung EVO 250GB.

Samsung does come with a DVD that is used to migrate to the new drive.

If and when I get the SSD setup, it will have all my current games and such, but since using their software, I had to use the current C: drive to get the data which I am sure will have the games on it and I am told that you shouldn't load your game. any movies, nor music as it will make the SSD drive slower. So my next question is, if I manage to get the new SSD installed properly, should I go and uninstall them on the SSD and then reinstall on the late C: which since I am swapping the actual discs. My thinking was to uninstall all such apps from the SSD and reinstall them on the original drive which is now no longer the boot drive... At least it hould be if I can get SSD installed with out error?? Thanks Guys...
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

Why not put the recovery set on dvds?

If you mean that you already have the usb drive set up and just need to figure out how to boot from it this is done by going into your bios and choosing usb as the first boot device in your boot order.

As far as games on the ssd if you have enough space, especially for a key game that you play regularly then you can install it on the ssd. If you are keeping the hard drive in the machine as well then I wouldn't move movies or music. I would install the application that you use to play movies/music on the ssd, but I wouldn't move the movie/music files themselves.

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Asd, ASUS doesn't allow you to create the recovery on disc's for some reason, but I can tell you they make it clear it much be on an external USB. As well when you go to create the recovery set, there is no way to chose anything but back it up to a USB drive, it wouldn't show anything but the USB drives to create it on.

Either way, thanks!