join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

Re: [Caps] Comcast New 300GB Monthly Limit And Overage Charges

said by rody_44:

Things as simple as water is metered and since its metered people make decisions based on metering it. I have no problems basing the same principals to broadband and actually prefer it

Funny you should mention that. In another thread, I said something along the lines of I believe eventually internet access is going to be truly metered, just like our other utilities. I was basically told that since public utilities are governed by regulations, and there is no mandate for ISP metering it wouldn't happen. Also, there was some discussion about data being pushed to you whether you requested it or not.

Okay, so there is some bugs to iron out, but I still believe once all this shakes out and streaming TV becomes the new "norm", that we will eventually get to a point of truly metered billing.

-Alan

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by FirebirdTN:

Okay, so there is some bugs to iron out, but I still believe once all this shakes out and streaming TV becomes the new "norm", that we will eventually get to a point of truly metered billing.

I had that in 1984; only they were metering based on time, not volume of data. $9.95 per month for "up to" five hours, then $1.95 per minute for every minute past five hours.

Metered billing: I needed a real life, anyway. That will probably just widen the "Digital Divide".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
I loved the way Compuserve promoted that deal. $9.95 a month got you 5 'free' hours.

5 free hours for 9.95.

And forgive me, Norman, but I think the overage was 1.95/hr (not per minute).

Regardless it added up quickly.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mike34:

And forgive me, Norman, but I think the overage was 1.95/hr (not per minute).

You are right.

I had to access CompuServe through a local dial service number (Tymshare?) which added a per hour charge; or pay a toll charge to reach a direct CompuServe number. Either way, I was paying above the basic rate.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Might have been Tymnet. I didn't have a local access number either. Big upgrade for me was from 300 baud acoustic couplers to a Hayes Smartmodem 1200. Really smart. Knew a handful of commands which had to be typed in all caps, no lowercase. Cost a fortune.