canada

Is that a good price? bad price?

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to SoonerAl

If that was the price at Best Buy in Canada, I'd be driving over to my nearest Best Buy right now to get one for my Daughter, then maybe she would quit stealing my Surface.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to SoonerAl

I was floored by the demand I saw going on for the Surface 2 at Best Buy. They can't keep them in the store.

Last I remember was the press making fun of them.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to SoonerAl

From November 28th to. November 30th,....

I think I might give it a shot then at ~$199.99, I think it would be worth it. Depends on the crowds,...

I spent a lot more then that on a 32GB iPad Air WiFi + Cellular,....

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to SoonerAl

Click for full size
Staples is offering a Surface RT (1st gen) with keyboard for $249.99...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by SoonerAl:

Now THAT is a good deal.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by JohnInSJ:

said by SoonerAl:

Now THAT is a good deal.

It is a good deal IMO too.

However, if I were to buy one its more experimental then anything and I really don't feel that I absolutely need the keyboard attachment.

So I think I would prefer to spend only ~$200 for the Surface only rather then the ~$250 for the combo.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

Looking at the picture, that is actually a type cover (originally $120 or so) so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Is there some kind of 3rd party pen that would work with the Surface RT?
--
.sig

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by aurgathor:

Looking at the picture, that is actually a type cover (originally $120 or so) so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I definitely agree its a good deal, maybe even a great deal. However, I'm reaching the limits of my interest at about ~$200. So while it may seem penny wise and pound foolish to forgo the ~$250 deal with keyboard its relatively experimental to me overall.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

Just the capacitive types, and using them on the first gen surface isn't a very happy experience.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to SoonerAl

You guys are killing me as there aren't any deals like this in Canada.

Blake

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

You could always drive to Montana, (looks at map) and go... somewhere there... shopping.... hmmm.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Blake

I here you,....

I was sort of agonizing over buying an Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell boxed processor from Microcenter for ~$199.99 USD. It's an incredible deal I'm finding hard to pass up on,......

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to SoonerAl

This isn't related to much of anything but the week before I quit Worst Buy, our Microsoft rep was in and she told us about an employee only promo, it was $300 for a Surface Pro, the 64 GB model, and free keyboard. Even at that price I couldn't get excited over it. I really wanted to get Surface Pro but couldn't justify it. I had no need to run real Windows programs on a tablet, and the Metro apps are sorely lacking. For web surfing and other tooling around my Sony Android tablet was just as good. Now I'm a little more interested in the Surface or other Windows tablet, but for work related purposes at my new job and would need it to be able to run Windows 8 Pro so I can be on our domain.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to SoonerAl

But isn't the RT version the pokey, slow, stripped, crappy version?

I've never used a surface, but one of my coworkers has, and he hated the RT. The PRO version, the one that has 8 pro installed, is a thing of beauty he said, as it is fast, responsive, and works like a tablet/ultraportable should. Hence the price difference.

Get me a pro for $199, and I'll buy it.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

I like my Surface RT and apparently so does my daughter which is why I'd like to get a second Surface RT so she'll leave mine alone.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to SoonerAl

I look at it a little like the HP Touchpad fire sale. Would I have bought an HP Touchpad for ~$500,....? That would be a resounding NO. Would I have bought an HP Touchpad for $150 to $200,......? That would be a resounding yes, (bought two, one 16GB and one 32GB).

So would I buy a 32GB Microsoft Surface for ~$200,.....? You bet but much more then that is pushing it which is why I'm ready to draw the line at that ~$200.

IMO, my ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet running Windows 8.1 is a better and more powerful solution. However, I figure the Surface RT is worth it for its included office package alone.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Happydude32

said by Happydude32:

our Microsoft rep was in and she told us about an employee only promo, it was $300 for a Surface Pro, the 64 GB model, and free keyboard. Even at that price I couldn't get excited over it.

Holy sh*t, why can't my employer have deals like that?

Mehinks it was a steal at that price, and probably just somewhat above the DM (Direct Material) cost.
--
.sig

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

said by aurgathor:

said by Happydude32:

our Microsoft rep was in and she told us about an employee only promo, it was $300 for a Surface Pro, the 64 GB model, and free keyboard. Even at that price I couldn't get excited over it.

Holy sh*t, why can't my employer have deals like that?

Mehinks it was a steal at that price, and probably just somewhat above the DM (Direct Material) cost.

You wouldn't want deals like that if the trade off was having to work for a place like Best Buy. Making $9/hour, getting yelled at for not selling enough Geek Squad ripofff services and not getting enough credit card applications, dealing with idiot customers and even bigger idiot fellow employees. With how little they paid and how little hours I got near the end, even with having another parttime job, I still wanted to conserve money. Plus like I said I found out about that the week before before I quit and I already had it in my mind I was going to quit and I didn't want to order the thing, have the paperwork/validation process get hung up for whatever reason and by the time they checked I would no longer be an employee and get charged full price for the thing. If it happened a few weeks earlier, I probably would have bought in and just sold it online at a few bucks under MSRP and made a few hundred bucks.

The only advantage to working at Worst Buy was the discounted or free stuff you could get...not from them directly but through vendors. Sony had a special on their flagship $260 noise canceling headphones that were free after rebate, I could have got the extremely overpriced Google Pixel Chromebook for a decent chunk off that still made it overpriced, there was the Surface Pro deal and a bunch of other that I can't remember.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to SoonerAl

Click for full size
This is the best price I've seen so far:

Surface RT with touch cover ~$179.99 Black Friday at Microcenter:

»www.microcenter.com/site/brands/···eRT.aspx

I was rethinking whether or not it was worth it to me at ~$199.99 without the keyboard but I might go for this. I have three Microcenter locations within about ~30min by car. Not sure if I want to bother trying for a black friday deal though,....

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Blake

Now available on Canada...on the 29th.

»flyer.bestbuy.ca/preview/bestbuy···id=13529

Another $50 will add the Touch Cover keyboard.

»www.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/p···&s=.html
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

Guess what I'll be ordering on the 29th

Blake

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
reply to SoonerAl

I tried for 2 hours to order at Best Buy and Microsoft but no success. I got up at 7:30 this morning and went right to the Microsoft Store online and placed my order. Got it for $199.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Click for full size
I ordered a Surface RT from the Microsoft store too at $199 (~$216 shipped).

I may tray Microcenter tomorrow if I feel up to it in order to get the Surface RT with keyboard cover for ~$179.99 then just cancel the Microsoft order (or refuse delivery if it ships).

Edit:

In order to get it from Microcenter you have to be there in time and get a voucher which is good for that day only. No voucher, no surface.

»viewer.zmags.com/publication/60d···d31aa6/1

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to SoonerAl

Ordered one from Staples this morning.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY