Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Applying Microsoft monthly patches hosed computer - please help

Have Windows 7, 64-bit and applied 14 Important patches. Did not update from IE 9 to IE 11. Restarted as usual and was stuck for 10 minutes viewing message: "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." Finally turned it off and booted. It's been displaying that same message for more than 20 minutes this time.

Maybe it needs to be started in something other than Normal mode? If so, I don't know how or what to do. I'm using another computer to post this. Would appreciate advice.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

2 recommendations

I have Win7-64 too. The last time I had that problem I left the room for a couple hours. I do not know how long it took to finish what it was doing.

murky
Premium
join:2000-09-12
Eton, ON

2 recommendations

reply to onDvine
This happened to me when I fired up my Folding machine a week age. I tried to install 129 updates. Ended up with the same problem & same message. I obeyed the message as I had googled it on another computer. It may take more than 30 minutes to restore itself to pre-update config. Microsoft site said I should then install and run Microsoft program: "Mister Fixit". I did this and found nothing wrong. Then split updates to a dozen at a time in sequence. No more problems.
Good luck, murky

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
Can't help, but I hope it turns out ok!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
Thank you both. Hopefully given more time, it will right itself. I can't install or run anything.

Is it possible I could start it in Safe Mode (never used without specific instructions from someone) and get back to the Restore Point created before everything was installed? It's been stuck pretty close to an hour now.

Finally managed to get back to a Restore Point from yesterday in Safe Mode. Now I'm afraid to try applying the patches again.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to beck
Moral support is always nice. One way or another, it MUST turn out okay.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
said by onDvine:

Thank you both. Hopefully given more time, it will right itself. I can't install or run anything.

Is it possible I could start it in Safe Mode (never used without specific instructions from someone) and get back to the Restore Point created before everything was installed? It's been stuck pretty close to an hour now.

Finally managed to get back to a Restore Point from yesterday in Safe Mode. Now I'm afraid to try applying the patches again.

I'm glad System Restore worked, because that is a roll of the dice; it won't always work to recover. It is possible to brick Windows and have to do a reformat & reinstall in that situation. EDIT: I don't mean that System Restore bricks Windows; I mean that System Restore won't always get you back to normal. Often yes. Sometimes no.

It's hard to say what if anything hung your system when you installed the updates, but the moral of the story for you should be: Do NOT turn your system off when you see that warning about not turning your system off. Ten minutes is way too soon to conclude that something's wrong and shut it down. I've seen updates take that long upon rebooting before. And Microsoft is not kidding when they tell you not to do that; you are asking for trouble. There are enough problems with people losing power during upgrade reboots; don't make your odds worse by ignoring the warning. To avoid temptation, I suggest that the next time you try to install the updates, do it when you're going to bed and don't even look at the machine until the next morning. If it's been ten hours, then maybe you power down and do a system restore if needed. But not after just ten minutes.

Good luck next time around. Good chance it will be fine if you're patient. If not, who knows. One of the upgrades in the package doesn't like you, or more likely, some driver in your PC. You might search around and see if any one of them is giving some trouble to others. You can always uncheck that one on a third try.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
I have had that happen twice now. As others have mentioned if you wait long enough it will boot. Don't know what is cause it, does give a lot of concern when it happens. It only happens on my machine that is running Server 2012.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
Thanks runnoft See Profile and Hank See Profile. That was the longest I'd seen updates take to configure. Later attempts ran over an hour without any luck until menus finally opened in Safe Mode. It's okay now and, as was mentioned, I learned a good lesson.

Have successfully applied fixes except 5 for Microsoft Office 2010 which I'll probably do in a day or two. Never agreed to TOS/EULAs for Microsoft Office programs. Also delayed the big IE 9 Cumulative Security Update. Will see what's needed per Belarc Advisor tomorrow.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 recommendation

Yeah, when I've encountered extended reboots, it's been on reformat & reinstalls with Windows 7. Now the updating process takes several times longer than the install process with Win 7. But when you're updating after a reformat & reinstall with Win 7, on at least a couple of occasions, you have many many updates being installed. So it makes sense that if you've put off updating and have a lot needing attention, you could encounter this situation too. Very glad to hear it went well on the second try--whew! Continued good luck.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
yah, my win 7 64bit pc has blue screened a couple times while shutting down after updating. All seemed ok after booting back up each time.

John_E
Premium
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO

2 recommendations

reply to onDvine
said by onDvine:

Have Windows 7, 64-bit and applied 14 Important patches. Did not update from IE 9 to IE 11. Restarted as usual and was stuck for 10 minutes viewing message: "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." Finally turned it off and booted. It's been displaying that same message for more than 20 minutes this time.

I had the same thing happen on Monday but with 34 updates to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I did not update September or October because of problems reported with several updates. Things seemed calmed down so I went ahead on Monday and bingo - hung machine for 2 hours and that has never happened before.

Finally did what you did, force shutdown and use the last restore point. Worked fine. More reading revealed one of the problem updates was KB2862330 that concerned the USB stack. Still has not been fixed by Microsoft caused some users many similar problems.

So, I imaged the disk and installed 33 updates, not including KB2862330, and all worked fine. Have hidden that update until or if it gets fixed.

rdhw

join:2002-09-21
Cambridge UK
KB2862330 should be fine to install provided that it is the ONLY update installed at the same time.
--
Robin Walker

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

reply to John_E
I applied updates for Microsoft Office 2010 and the IE 9 Cumulative Security Update separately yesterday without incident. Won't apply so many at once again.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
I had this happen last month on Windows 8. Never had this happen from 1999 until last month. I always install only 4 at a time and I download them from Microsoft Download site to disk and then install in small batches and use the computer for awhile before installing the next batch. I do that so if there is a bad one I can more quickly figure which of 4 is bad than I can if I installed 15 all at once.

My computer rebooted, and started configuring, and when it got to 22% configured it hung for about one-half hour. It scared me so when it finally did finish I immediately googled and found that 22% finished was a common place for Windows updates installation to hang. I found a good general article about what to do if Windows freezes during updating. I printed it out and put it in a safe place, but I didn't look at the printout until just now. I am glad I did because the right edge is cut off (several words on each line)! I am glad I discovered this now instead of if I ever need it later. (I'm going to copy/paste it to Open Office where I know it will print correctly).

»pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysym···ozen.htm

Windows doesn't make a restore point before installing Microsoft patches. At least Windows does not. So, you have to remember to make one before installing the patches.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine
I've had an update issue here and there. And also had similar issues from other non-Windows software too. IMO, System Restore is not the safe course of action for recovery.

The first thing I do when I buy a new PC is turn off System Restore. As mentioned above, it's gambling at best. It may run 10 for 10, but on time number 11, you're dead. Not good enough for me!

I rely on disc/drive imaging. After extensive research and testing of several brands, I know the ones I use are 100 % reliable on my system.

I'll always trade making a 20 to 30 minute image file over potentially needing to rebuild a system that takes hours and hours.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to Mele20
Thank you for the link.

Windows 7 makes Restore Points before installing Microsoft patches here.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to HA Nut
Thanks for your input. I'm limited to tools that match my skill level. Back-ups are saved on an external hard drive. So far, I haven't worked up the enthusiasm to learn about making images.

Gambling on System Restore has saved my virtual ass several times over the years.