So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

Re: Applying Microsoft monthly patches hosed computer - please help

Thank you both. Hopefully given more time, it will right itself. I can't install or run anything.

Is it possible I could start it in Safe Mode (never used without specific instructions from someone) and get back to the Restore Point created before everything was installed? It's been stuck pretty close to an hour now.

Finally managed to get back to a Restore Point from yesterday in Safe Mode. Now I'm afraid to try applying the patches again.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by onDvine:

Thank you both. Hopefully given more time, it will right itself. I can't install or run anything.

Is it possible I could start it in Safe Mode (never used without specific instructions from someone) and get back to the Restore Point created before everything was installed? It's been stuck pretty close to an hour now.

Finally managed to get back to a Restore Point from yesterday in Safe Mode. Now I'm afraid to try applying the patches again.

I'm glad System Restore worked, because that is a roll of the dice; it won't always work to recover. It is possible to brick Windows and have to do a reformat & reinstall in that situation. EDIT: I don't mean that System Restore bricks Windows; I mean that System Restore won't always get you back to normal. Often yes. Sometimes no.

It's hard to say what if anything hung your system when you installed the updates, but the moral of the story for you should be: Do NOT turn your system off when you see that warning about not turning your system off. Ten minutes is way too soon to conclude that something's wrong and shut it down. I've seen updates take that long upon rebooting before. And Microsoft is not kidding when they tell you not to do that; you are asking for trouble. There are enough problems with people losing power during upgrade reboots; don't make your odds worse by ignoring the warning. To avoid temptation, I suggest that the next time you try to install the updates, do it when you're going to bed and don't even look at the machine until the next morning. If it's been ten hours, then maybe you power down and do a system restore if needed. But not after just ten minutes.

Good luck next time around. Good chance it will be fine if you're patient. If not, who knows. One of the upgrades in the package doesn't like you, or more likely, some driver in your PC. You might search around and see if any one of them is giving some trouble to others. You can always uncheck that one on a third try.