elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Apple II DOS source now available.

The Computer history museum has managed to get the Source code (with Apple's permission) for Apple II DOS and put it online.

»www.computerhistory.org/ ··· ce-code/

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

Very cool!!

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

3 edits

Wily_One to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Click for full size
Drive, DOS, Interface
Disk II floppy drive designed by Woz. (based on a Shugart drive)
DOS 3.1 programmed in 6502 assembly by Shepardson Microsystems.
Disk II Interface card designed by Woz.

Note the controller supported two 5¼" floppy drives, so you could rock a dual-floppy system.

Interesting reading:
»apple2history.org/history/ah05/
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I remember my IIe well, I got the upgraded model with 64K of ram on it. I also remember the dual floppy drives and using a hole punch to "unlock" copy protected disks.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Fascinating! Learning on basic (Timex Sinclair ZX-81) that brings some memories back. Except the prices. We got out Timex for about $79 for the main computer and another $79 for 16KB of memory. That was back in 1982 or 1983. Also a descent tape recorder was $80, and B&W TV was $50 and $80 for a Thermal printer. So maybe $400 all in.

Now I scoff at spending to upgrade to an iPad Air for $500
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
We had a dual decker too for the floppies so that we could run I think it was PFS Write and save without having to remove the software disk.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

My first computer was a //e I bought used (128K) for around 2K from someone was ready to buy a Mac 128 when it was coming out.

I had those drives, for years then bought the 3.5 versions, and eventually buy a couple of profiles(5mb was huge back in the day).

I wrote an entire BBS in Applesoft, someone else wrote the modem driver in assembler.

I also had a couple of Lisa's of which I converted one on into a Mac XL with parts from a company called Sun.. somewhere in the US.