how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

[AT&T] AT&T refusing to send me a sim card for my nexus 4

I have a go phone account AT&T is refusing to send me a new sim card for my nexus 4 they said it has to go on a post paid account only. I dont want a overpriced post paid account I want prepaid What do I do?

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR

Get a net10 prepaid plan, cheaper, same coverage.

Other than that, go into a store.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
reply to jchambers28

Get a SIM card for any number of their MVNOs (including their own AIO wireless). Straight Talk/Net10 are both good choices, as is Red Pocket.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

I guess I will go the aio route

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to jchambers28

The MVNO suggestion is a good one, but another way you could play it would be to get a cheapie $10 dumb-phone and have AT&T provide the sim for THAT phone, then just put it in the Nexus. That's the beauty of GSM, service is tied to the SIM, not the phone; your provider really doesn't need to know (and shouldn't care) what phone that SIM is in. Provided the phone isn't carrier locked (it's a Nexus, so it won't be) it'll work fine, you might have to manually enter the APN info if you want data, though.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28

I can get me a nexus 5 from sprint for $50 with a 2 yr contract data coverage is 3G. only problem is its a contract. If the bill gets to high I am screwed. Then I dont have a phone I can use. I dont want to dive into something I cant pay for. I really want a nexus 5 but cant afford it. Only reason I have this phone is some one gave it to me. Should I stay prepaid with a nexus 4 or contract with a nexus 5.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

The MVNO suggestion is a good one, but another way you could play it would be to get a cheapie $10 dumb-phone and have AT&T provide the sim for THAT phone, then just put it in the Nexus. That's the beauty of GSM, service is tied to the SIM, not the phone; your provider really doesn't need to know (and shouldn't care) what phone that SIM is in. Provided the phone isn't carrier locked (it's a Nexus, so it won't be) it'll work fine, you might have to manually enter the APN info if you want data, though.

Remember not all SIM cards are born equal. My old GoPhone ZTE feature (dumb) phone used a full sized SIM while my new Lumia 520 uses a micro SIM so I could not simply swap between phones.

Now what AT&T did was to copy over contacts from the old SIM to the new SIM and whatever else is pertinent...

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

The chip is the same size in all of them, and located directly behind the contact pad. With a little tracing (or a purpose-built tool), you can easily cut the SIM to size. You can also take a mini- or micro-SIM and shim it to fit in place of a larger SIM.

Speaking from experience, as I've done both.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

said by BronsCon:

The chip is the same size in all of them, and located directly behind the contact pad. With a little tracing (or a purpose-built tool), you can easily cut the SIM to size. You can also take a mini- or micro-SIM and shim it to fit in place of a larger SIM.

Speaking from experience, as I've done both.

Ok...good to know that...

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

Should I stay prepaid with a nexus 4 or contract with a nexus 5.

IMO nexus 4 with NO CONTRACT. Save up some cash... then get the nexus 5 and stay WITH NO CONTRACT

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

he already has the nexus 5 though and needs to find a prepaid that will activate the phone since att won't.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jchambers28

Do you not have an existing SIM card? Use a SIM card cutter if it the wrong size.

AT&T main issue is that they do not want a smart phone on an inexpensive pre paid account.

AT&T will sell you a replacement SIM card for $10 if you need a new one but do not tell AT&T you have a smart phone (none of their business).

Personally I would dump AT&T and go T-mobile if you have decent coverage where you live or at least a AT&T MVNO.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to mikedz4

I dont have one yet but I want one too.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to Hagar

I want Tmobile but not the crap EDGE coverage that goes along with it. 72921 coverage and u see what i mean.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

ok I thought you had the nexus 5. If not I would just follow the other person's advice and stick with the 4 until you can get the 5.

halfempty

join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL
reply to jchambers28

You can buy the sim card on ebay for about $5, or if you want a more traditonal vendor walmart.com has them for $9.98. You can then activate them online at att.com.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

how is straight talk these days?

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 recommendation

reply to jchambers28

I got a bit of a runaround, too, when I wanted to reactivate my old smartphone as a Go Phone. What I ended up doing was just walking into my local Walgreen's, grabbing a Go Phone SIM off the shelf for $10, and activating with that.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

I am having the drop AT&T itch but dont know what I want to switch to. All i know is red pocket and H2o aint it.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

I bought a no-contract phone from TracFone with Win 7 on it and got a good deal and a great phone for what I need.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

halfempty

join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

how is straight talk these days?

ST is fine for most tech savvy users that don't stream a lot. They are specifying 2.5GB these days, but they also state that they can throttle/terminate if your usage impacts the network. They don't seem to be as heavy handed with the throttling as they were in the past, but I wouldn't trust them too far. They still have some of the worst customer service reps in the industry.

I use them and I'm satisfied, but I don't stream, use less than a gig a month, and handle my own problem solving. Would not recommend them to heavy data users or anyone who might have to rely on their tech support.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

I need atleast 3GB of data I have no tmobile coverage.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to jchambers28

I bought a net10 sim kit from best buy for 14.95. My daughters S3 runs on ATT LTE and 2.5 gigs included for $45 with autopay. I've considered switching from the death star myself as there haven't been any issues.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to BronsCon

your provider really doesn't need to know (and shouldn't care) what phone that SIM is in.

Around the time the iPhone came out, AT&T pioneered the art of matching IMEIs to models. If you stick a dumbphone SIM into an iPhone on AT&T you'll get blasted nasty-gram texts, and on a postpaid plan they'll switch you to an iPhone data plan as a 'courtesy'. Log into the website and you'll see whatever model phone you plugged the SIM into show up on your account.

Bottom line - they know, and they care.

-- Rob

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jchambers28

3GB on AT&T network without paying a lot is difficult.

1) Straight talk and get usage down to 2.5GB
2) Straight talk + small tablet plan from AT&T or Verizon
3) Phone and text only + big tablet plan from AT&T or Verizion

Does t-mobile give you voice coverage so you can use t-mobile for voice and text? Tablet plans often allow tethering good for option 3.

I used option 2 and a 1GB Verizon tablet plan not for more data but to not rely on a single carrier for connectivity. I like Verizon since they do not have automatic overage charge.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

voice quality on tmobile here sucks choppy voice calls and alot of dropped calls.
dont have a tablet either.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to djrobx

They only know about the models they sell. They don't sell the nexus models, so they won't be able to identify them. Also, they really only care if you do this with an iPhone -- I've tested.

Incidentally, T-Mobile does the same thing, using the same software, which behaves the same way. They were not able to identify my AT&T HTC One X when I moved it over to them, but they immediately knew when I placed that SIM onto my friend's old HTC HD2 (which AT&T couldn't identify when I used it on their network).

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to jchambers28

ebay is your friend...I bought a few before myself for activating gophone accounts.

»www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-PREPAID-PO···69298573

»www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Micro-Sim-···95986788

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AT-T-4G-Mic···61877130

alternately, I can sell you one for the same price or an ST sim card for the price I paid for it.

John

@comcast.net
reply to jchambers28

I had a Nexus 4 on ATT GoPhone up until last month. If you go to a local company owned store they will provide you with a SIM at no charge and they will activate the phone. The only catch with the Nexus is that the IMEI is not in there database and thus the phone will 3G. However, there is a fix. The store rep can pull an IMEI off a demo phone that is 4G and enter that in the system to get you to HSPA+ Speeds. I want to say my top speed on GoPhone with Nexus4 was ~13MBs.

If the store has no clue on the 4G thing...call into techsupport and they will fix it on there end. Plenty of threads over in Android Central and Howard Forums on this. Sounds like you just got a rep not well versed or educated.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28

thanks for all the help guys got my mew sim card today and it's not AT&T going the straight talk rout for a while. I have wifi at my home. The only time I need huge 4G data amounts is when I leave town for 2 months to go back to Kansas city once a year. I have already been this years not going again till next summer.