Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to eeeaddict

Re: dog chewed through cables need help with crimping

For long runs, you need twisted pair (aka UTP). If the wires inside aren't twisted, noise will cause the signals to degrade very badly. Lots of flat cables are twisted, and assuming UTP, flat Ethernet is fine. Still better to go with the standard stuff though, as you are finding.

The problem you are running into is more about the connectors, not the crimper. The wire inside your flat cable is probably stranded and crimping to stranded is harder than crimping to solid conductor. On top of that the gauge is probably a little smaller (bigger gauge number means smaller diameter wire).

The advice so far is pretty good, but if you can link to specs of the wire you bought, we could be a lot more specific.
--
electronicsguru.ca

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
thanks teddy, the awg was wayy higher than standard ethernet so crimping wasn't working out. I had use fat cable instead which kind of stands out now though hopefully will be faster

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

The wire inside your flat cable is probably stranded and crimping to stranded is harder than crimping to solid conductor.

Not that much harder. You just need a different type of connector.

Crimp connectors for stranded cable have straight "vampire tap" teeth that simply sink through the insulation to make contact with the wires while solid wire crimps have offset teeth that displace insulation on the conductor sides to wedge themselves against the wire.

Using the right connector type for the cable being used makes things much simpler. If you mismatch types, your life may become miserable: vampire taps cannot sink through solid wire so they only make superficial contact with it and insulation displacement on stranded wire may simply squeeze the wire with strands stacking together and slipping right by the teeth without touching them.

As for flat cables and twisted pairs, as LazMan said, there are flat twisted pair cables. The pairs are twisted together and then laid down side by side so the cable only needs to be as thick as individual wire pairs and the coating layer to hold them together. Properly made, those should perform about as good as regular cables. A simple way to reduce crosstalk due to the same pairs always being next to each other is to simply increase the distance between pairs by about one wire's width and continue using the usual different twist rates for each pair.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to eeeaddict
said by eeeaddict:

I had use fat cable instead which kind of stands out now though hopefully will be faster

If you were getting ~100MBps as you said you were, you were already going as fast as 1Gbps Ethernet can theoretically go.

As LazMan said, there is such a thing as twisted flat cables. The twisted pairs are simply laid down side by side instead of lumped together. Since your puppy chewed through one of your cables, you can cut it open there and see exactly how the cable is laid out internally. For $200 eBay price, I would expect it to be proper twisted flat wiring.

Flat twisted pair cables do exist and they do work. I'm using a $14 10' flat HDMI 1.4 cable with my LCD right now.