spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon user

@rcn.com

What is the meaning of a publicly known server

While I know dslreports.com is an example of a publicly known server, what is the meaning of a publicly known server?

Thank you

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Gilbert, AZ

2 recommendations

I would think it was any server that is accessible by the general public and/or discoverable via search engines (for http/www). In other words, something that doesn't require special measures like a VPN connection to reach.

The term is very generic, and is open to broad interpretation.
--
ON DELETE CASCADE

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

I would think it was any server that is discoverable via search engines that is accessible by the general public.

That makes sense.

said by Ray:

The term is very generic, and is open to broad interpretation.

Why is that?

Thank you.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Gilbert, AZ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Because there are a lot of different kind of servers, but fairly straightforward if limited mainly to web. By "known", is it famous, comes up in a Google search, your cousin's cat website?
--
ON DELETE CASCADE

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

said by Ray:

. By "known", is it famous, comes up in a Google search, your cousin's cat website?

If a website crashes and no one is there to notice, was it ever known?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to anon user
said by anon user :

publicly known server

Never ran across that phase before - some context would be useful.

First thing that comes to mind is whether the server is accessible via the Internet or limited to internal corporate or personal use. For example: we have several servers on our home LAN that are limited to devices on the LAN, outside access is prohibited.

/tom

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by tschmidt:

said by anon user :

publicly known server

I would think that they are talking about the post by nwrickert (DSLR user #1070900) in DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums >Broadband Tech > Security > Security > DMZ and portforwarding are equally dangerous? on 2010-08-21 at 13:53:23 / 1:53 pm EST.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

anon user

@rcn.com
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by tschmidt:

said by anon user :

publicly known server

I would think that they are talking about the post by nwrickert (DSLR user #1070900) in DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums >Broadband Tech > Security > Security > DMZ and portforwarding are equally dangerous? on 2010-08-21 at 13:53:23 / 1:53 pm EST.

That is exactly right.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to anon user
Basically anything you find on Goole is a public server.

Some may still be found on Google with work through links.... semi private, and then there are those totally off the grid... only privately accessible and PW and or IP/MAC protected.
--