All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
John010
join:2013-08-27

John010

Cost of 1000 foot rg6/rg11 cable run.

There is no cable on my street. I've been told that it would take $14000 to run cable to my house, but the next street over has cable.

What would it take to get an an easement and have it run directly 1000 feet from the next street over?

Could I do it myself? Would I use rg6 or rg11? What kind of in line amplifiers would I use?

The next option is to get service via wireless ptp on an independant business line from a neighbor's property, but Comcast's rules on that are sketchy at best. If running a wire is a better solution, then that would be great news.

If I did it myself or had a contractor do it, how would Comcast mark my house as "serviceable"?

Thanks

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Can't use RG6 or RG11, 1000 feet is too far. Usual cost is in the $4-$5 per foot range, so if they're quoting $14k for 1000' something big is in the way.

Work with Comcast more, they have access you don't.
John010

1 edit

John010

That was refering to using the utility poles, which already have easements

P.S. how are in line amps powered?
John010

John010 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
If I put in a preamp on either end and an in-line amp at 500 feet, would RG11U work?

Comcast Business offered to cover 3500 of the cost, so if the cost was 1000ft*4.5/ft (=$4500), that would only cost me $1000.

Would residential offer the same deal? There's another house very close to mine (within 300 feet) that could be added to the deal and that may cut installation costs dramatically

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

There are a lot of details needed that are missing to make any real guess for actual feasibility.

Amplifying the signal needs power and certain signal input levels. Do you know where to get either one?

You said Comcast wants to charge $14k? Is that for a longer route than the 1000ft you say it COULD be? What route is Comcast proposing?

Is that 1000ft route across some other's property? Is there actually a utility pole line on that 1000ft route? If there is, what is on it and who owns it?

Stop trying to think you can make RG11 work over 1000ft. It'll be an ugly kludge, not reliable, and not something Comcast would help you with. RG11 is good for maybe 300ft.
John010

John010

I'd expect that to avoid any legalities in easements, Comcast would only inform me of the cost to run cable across power lines, which would be between 1/2-1 mile. Such an estimate is expected for that type of installation.

Yes, the 1000 foot route goes across someone's property. There is a utility pole that runs about 200 feet into their property. It has 3 sets of cable running to 2 houses. I know they have cable because I plugged in the address.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Well then the first thing you'd have to do is talk to the land and existing pole owners. Without their permission, 1000' can't even be done. Then you need the new poles, permits, installation, etc.

BTW, 1000' of the right cable (625 or bigger) will cost about $1000, after the cable, shipping, and connectors are factored in. »www.ptsupply.com/shop/se ··· 25+cable

The $4-5 per foot is Comcast's cost, since they do this all the time and get bulk discounts for materials, have the tools, etc.

$14k for 0.5-1 mile is actually on the cheaper side.
John010

John010

So is it the same for fiber at this distance?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Yes. The copper or fiber alone is a very small part of the expense. Without specific known variables you can expect to pay $15-25k per mile to install cable.

There is a lot of work that goes with building out before, during, and after the construction and it can add up pretty quickly.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to DocDrew

to DocDrew
sidebar, am I reading that correctly MFT= million feet?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by boogi man:

sidebar, am I reading that correctly MFT= million feet?

No, that's wouldn't make any sense at all in that context. 189 miles of cable for $650-850 when a 1000' roll of RG-6 is $80?

In wire work, MFT means 1000 ft. Don't ask me why....
»www.standard-wire.com/gl ··· y_m.html
»www.northwiredirect.com/ ··· ions.asp

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

Thanks that's what I thought. After googling around a for a few seconds I was slightly more confused than before. Thanks for replying gently.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to John010

Premium Member

to John010
Get neighbors to split the cost.

You could also try to contact business class, they will eat costs if you sign a contract.
John010

1 edit

John010

but now the question is whether they can get an easement to go across someone's property and what it takes for them to get one.

I have a contact in the business fiber side of comcast, and I hope to find time to contact him soon (hopefully tomorrow).

Does comcast transmit video over fiber or just coaxial? I'm thinking of signing the phone/internet contract with business class to get residential cable TV as well. If I can get a good deal, I can convince my neighbor to sign up and split the total install cost.

Update: I couldnt get there by 6 today, so I'll have to wait.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Technically they do video over fiber then convert to coax last mile. But business class is HFC still unless you go MetroE.
John010

John010

Is it always that way, or can it alternate between the two? Fiber may be an easier and faster install because it doesn't need amps.
Cable Employ
join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Cable Employ

You will not get fiber run to your house unless you sign up for Metro-e service, and that can cost you thousands of dollars per month. On top of it, you will need a fiber run from their office to your house, or at least from the closest location Comcast has fiber to your house, and that quite possibly would be even farther away than they have coax at. Add in the few thousand dollars worth of equipment to convert the light on the fiber to RF you can use in your house, and you are looking at a VERY expensive install. You will only be able to get service if you can get the coax extended.
John010

John010

1000 feet is the distance to my neighbor's pole if I can get my neighbor on-board after I have an estimate. Running directly to my house is 1300 and would probably take .875 cable.

Can I get comcast to run it with little to no cost to me?
Cable Employ
join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN

Cable Employ

It would depend on what would be involved in extending from that location. Some questions that would need to be answered include, can it legally be done; Is there a right of way from that pole to your home; if so, what would be required. What is the value of the tap at that pole. Going that far would probably require a main-line amp. Can the power supply handle another amp or would they need to add another power supply. These are a couple of questions. You would have to talk directly with the construction department in your area in order to get all of these questions answered. Nobody on here would be able to give you definite answers. You will have to find out how to get a hold of your local construction department.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to John010

Premium Member

to John010
said by John010:

There is no cable on my street. I've been told that it would take $14000 to run cable to my house, but the next street over has cable.

What would it take to get an an easement and have it run directly 1000 feet from the next street over?

Could I do it myself? Would I use rg6 or rg11? What kind of in line amplifiers would I use?

The next option is to get service via wireless ptp on an independant business line from a neighbor's property, but Comcast's rules on that are sketchy at best. If running a wire is a better solution, then that would be great news.

If I did it myself or had a contractor do it, how would Comcast mark my house as "serviceable"?

Thanks

this has a lot of good info

»[Connectivity] "not servicable" despite trunk line and
John010

John010

Thanks. I was planning to go to my local comcast office yesterday or today, but I have no car and my parents are my only transportation for this. They keep putting it off for various reasons, so I'm angry and becoming suspicious.

cielbleu
@videotron.ca

cielbleu to Anonymous_

Anon

to Anonymous_
»[Signals] 750 feet from a cable drop, will Comcast do this?
John010

John010

Update - I went to the comcast business office on saturday, which turned out to be a payment center. I was told that Comcast is not supposed to give me an estimate through the salesperson and that they'd put in a message to the construction dept. to contact me by tuesday (today). I hope they follow through.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Your question is quite common in the Comcast HSI forum, could use site's search function to try to find recent and past posts. Forum is here-
»Comcast XFINITY

Earlier poster gave a link to one. Lots of good answers in this thread. Though, you will find more specifics in the Comcast one and forum.

As to your question as to easements? I own acreage and someone would have to pay me a great deal of money to grant an easement so that an entity such as Comcast could use and be able to access with their equipment in future to service/maintain. And/or I would need money and some huge advantage to me.

I already gave an easement, so that someone could have via non public road, better access to their land. They are not keeping their part of the terms of the easement and it will cost money to enforce those clauses, to name just one hassle.

Others have had very similar situations and have been able to find a reasonable solution. So their is hope. On that, good luck.
John010

John010

Thanks.

We went to the comcast office on saturday, and another representative threw the other comcast reps under the bus and promised a call from construction on monday or tuesday. I wouldn't expect a call on thanksgiving (thursday), but how many visits will it take to get to speak to the construction manager?