uniqs

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Winter Tires

I'm looking at speed-rated winter tires, if they make such a beast. I'm not going to be using the speed capabilities if it's snowing of course, but I need the speed rating due to the autobahn.

Front: 225/45R17 91V
Rear: 255/40R17 94V

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Well you're not going to come with an actual "winter" tire in those sizes and speed ratings, but here are a couple good choices in my opinion>

»www.tirerack.com/tires/t ··· are1=yes

That's the highly-regarded Michelin Pilot A/S Plus in a 94Y service class.

Or, the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 for a bit less dough in a 94V class.

A couple to think about anyway.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

Well you're not going to come with an actual "winter" tire in those sizes and speed ratings, but here are a couple good choices in my opinion>

That's the highly-regarded Michelin Pilot A/S Plus in a 94Y service class.

Or, the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 for a bit less dough in a 94V class.

A couple to think about anyway.

That's what I was worried about. Should have gotten the X-Drive option and this car (coulda, woulda, shoulda). I'll take a look and see if I can find them over here if nothing else, but they seem like good choices/a good start.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
Winter is coming, I'm just going to drive on my Michelin Defender All-Season tires.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to sk1939

to sk1939
I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires. I looked briefly on their website but I do not see them in your rear size. I really like the tires and they really work well in snow and ice.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Gomez to sk1939

to sk1939
Been running pilot sport AS/3 on the the front, and have not had a problem.. Despite trying ..

I have new pilot super sport on the back, and as/3 on the front so I have a good mix on cold/wet for rear traction and front control.

But with snow/ice.. I'll drive the SUV.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to mattmag

MVM

to mattmag
The only issue is the speed rating - Bridgestone makes the size with Blizzaks but not V speed rated.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

The only issue is the speed rating - Bridgestone makes the size with Blizzaks but not V speed rated.

I rarely go above 140 mph (usually around 90-110) but I'd like to have it just in case. The Y rating should be fine as far as I can tell, given that it is rated up to 180 Mph.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

They only go to h rated because winter tires are soft and heat up quickly in dry weather and high speeds. Even if that weather is cold the tires will heat up - it is the main reason winter tires do not last 5 seasons (in general).

EDIT - I was incorrect - some do go to W and V:
»www.tirerack.com/tires/t ··· ce-49575
quote:
For drivers wanting enhanced dry road handling from their winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it.

These tires were originally developed for winter driving on European highways where high-speed driving on clear roads must be combined with traction on snow-covered roads. These tires are available in many of the low sidewall profile, large wheel diameter sizes used on sporty coupes and luxury sedans, as well as several crossover and sport utility vehicles.

Meet severe snow service standards, branded with mountain/snowflake symbol.

H-, V- or W-speed rated.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

i was looking at a set of the toyo tired to recommend, but they only go up to H rating as well.

»www.toyotires.ca/tire/pa ··· garit-kx

i liked these when i had them(i had the G-02's but the compound and tread are pretty much the same)

as well, look at minus sizing your tires, it will decrease the size of the contact patch a bit but will increase ground pressure.