Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to thestealth

[Environmental] Re: Cleaning a heavy smoker's house

Obviously, the sky is the limit on how much you wish to spend on smoke remediation. I used to smoke-I know how it destroys a house.

If you are simply trying to clean this up a bit, a good wash with clear ammonia/water mix works wonders. You can add a small amount of a surfactant of your choice (i.e. lemon cleaner, pine cleaner) to help if their are additional soils. But, you will be changing the water often no matter what you do. I don't like sudsy washes for walls. You could also use lemon ammonia. This will knock down a vast majority of the tar in your first pass.

The ammonia won't work so well in the kitchen if their are grease buildups. a butyl based cleaner such as Mean Green or Greased Lightening will emulsify the grease and smoke.

BlueHeron

join:2013-11-14

kudos:1
said by jrs8084:

The ammonia won't work so well in the kitchen if their are grease buildups. a butyl based cleaner such as Mean Green or Greased Lightening will emulsify the grease and smoke.

I cleaned the inside of an exterior door with Greased Lightening. It took the paint right off.