join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to thestealth

[Environmental] Re: Cleaning a heavy smoker's house

Article on third-hand smoke:

»newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stori···-damage/

I see tests for this becoming commonplace in the future for pre-sale home inspections, along with the lead paint testing.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

To help with the smell, you may want to consider an ozone generator. I know someone who got a great deal on a used car that was formerly driven by a smoker. He rented an ozone generator, and four hours later you couldn't tell the difference. I've used one for other stubborn odors (large volume of animal excrement left in house by former tenant...don't ask) and it worked a treat.

Be sure to get a generator that is sized appropriately for the house. Using a cheap low-powered generator for a long time will not work as well as a powerful generator for a short time because the ozone quickly converts back into oxygen. If the house has lots of doors, you can use the generator in one room at a time.

It cost me about $100 to rent mine and was worth every penny. The machines can be harmful if used improperly, so be sure to follow the directions. As long as no people, plants, or pets are in the house while it's operating and for the prescribed amount of time after the machine shuts off, you should be fine.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

From the link I posted above:

quote:
The 2010 studies from Berkeley Lab found that residual nicotine can react with ozone and nitrous acid—both common indoor air pollutants—to form hazardous agents. When nicotine in thirdhand smoke reacts with nitrous acid it undergoes a chemical transformation and forms carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines, such as NNA, NNK and NNN. Nicotine can react with ozone to form ultrafine particles, which can carry harmful chemicals and pass through human tissue. Humans can be exposed to thirdhand smoke through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by John Galt:

quote:
The 2010 studies from Berkeley Lab found that residual nicotine can react with ozone and nitrous acid—both common indoor air pollutants—to form hazardous agents. When nicotine in thirdhand smoke reacts with nitrous acid it undergoes a chemical transformation and forms carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines, such as NNA, NNK and NNN. Nicotine can react with ozone to form ultrafine particles, which can carry harmful chemicals and pass through human tissue. Humans can be exposed to thirdhand smoke through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact.

SO what you're saying is ozone plus a very good hepa filter to catch the particles and stay out of the place while thats going on.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03

1 edit
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

quote:

either that study is wrong, or George Burns had an undisclosed method of getting rid of that, because he smoked from 9 years old to 100 years old, and died from old age.. I don't think there is one thing that a study has not found to be bad for you at one time..

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

said by iknow_t:

either that study is wrong, or George Burns had an undisclosed method of getting rid of that, because he smoked from 9 years old to 100 years old, and died from old age.. I don't think there is one thing that a study has not found to be bad for you at one time..

Yeah, and you can fall from 10,00 feet without a parachute and live.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to John Galt

But is lead paint testing still actually needed? How long has lead paint been out of the market place?

But I agree that since the findings came out about 3rd hand smoke, it wouldn't be a shocker to see testing/laws about it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

join:2013-07-08
MA

said by Snakeoil:

But is lead paint testing still actually needed? How long has lead paint been out of the market place?

There is a lead paint form you must sign that's mandated by law if the property was built in or before 1978 before you can close. You don't have to have lead testing but you have to sign that you know there could be lead in the property. If the seller has ever tested they have to disclose the results. I doubt it's a huge thing in Ohio but in New England it's very common to have lead paint somewhere.