spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcm1283
join:2012-12-12
Manassas, VA

jcm1283

What to do with old software and hardware

I thought I saw a recent thread on this topic but a search only turned up threads months or years old.

What's the consensus on dealing with old (5+years) software and hardware? I've got a bunch of PI, PII, PIII boxes, assorted interface cards (modems, sound cards, NICs), and various software packages (Win95, Win98, old versions of Quicken, old games, etc.) taking up space that I can put to better use for the holidays. I'm sure the most common solution would be to e-cycle or donate; before I toss the whole lot of it out I'd like to make sure I'm not throwing away a gem that someone might be able to use (and make some cash in the process). I'm not looking to make a lot of dough nor am I looking to spend a lot of time dealing with it.

Other that eBay, Craigslist, and the various freecycle sites, is there a site somewhere where I might be able to gauge the demand for this stuff?
wintek
Premium Member
join:2011-02-07
Haughton, LA

wintek

Premium Member

try here »/forum/forsale

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

Gbcue to jcm1283

Premium Member

to jcm1283
I had a pile of that stuff, tried to sell it for what it is, no takers.

When I listed it as "scrap for gold", my box of junk sold.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

I tried to sell a gig of PC3200 for $3.00. No takers. Cost me $105.00.

I threw it away.

I have more stuff so maybe I should throw that away too.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to jcm1283

MVM

to jcm1283
Software pitch and hardware - see if your county has an electronics drop off day.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
said by jadinolf:

I tried to sell a gig of PC3200 for $3.00. No takers.

Dang! Sorry I missed that post! I still have some old junk that takes PC3200.

But for the OP, there just isn't much demand for old stuff. The prices keep dropping for new stuff. I just recently found a receipt for a refurb Compaq Presario 5050 that I bought around 1999. It had a 266 Mhz Celeron, 96 MB of RAM and an 8 GB hard drive. My employee price on it was $770. That would buy a pretty bodacious PC today!

The other problem with older hardware is that it just can't keep up with the demands of newer software, especially if there is any video involved.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

1 edit

mocycler to jcm1283

Premium Member

to jcm1283
I agree with the others. Except for a few rare collectibles (very early Apples, Sinclairs, possibly TRS-80), that old stuff is worth basically zero. Nothing that runs Win95 or later is considered a "gem".

I go to a lot of ham radio/electronics swap meets and regularly see clean, fully functioning laptops good enough to run XP for less than $100.

My vote is to dump it at the nearest recycler, or see if you can give it away on Craigslist.

Back when I was running an eBay business, someone gave me about twenty VIC-20s. No one wanted them, even for $5 each. One day a guy came over to pick up something else he had bought from me, saw the pile of VICs in the garage, and offered me $25 for all. Hell yeah, I took it. And I even helped load them in his car.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

Hayward0

Premium Member

Thats kind of surprising. VIC-20's were pretty useless. Now if they'd be C=64 I might have been interested my self.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to jcm1283

Premium Member

to jcm1283
I always remove the HDD and smash/destroy the platters, then junk the rest.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to jcm1283

to jcm1283
drop the stuff at the local bestbuy.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_ to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

I had a pile of that stuff, tried to sell it for what it is, no takers.

When I listed it as "scrap for gold", my box of junk sold.

only old computers worth anything is pentium 1 and older... (has to be AT style) (Fully working condition) these computers could fetch upto $250 for laptops slightly less for desktops $50-200 depending on the configuration..

and vintage apple stuff such as apple 1 and apple 2 gen will fetch $200-3000 depending on the condition and what it is.. etc...

I found a vintage apple ][ + It was broken but I made a lot of money off of it. it was headed for the dump too Talk about CASH in the trash......

also I could use a copy of that windows 95 and 98se

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to jcm1283

MVM

to jcm1283
In the past I passed down my old machine to my son. For my excess stuff Freecycle. I feel bad throwing it away when, other than being old, there is nothing wrong with it.

For software I just tossed most of it. I'm so thankful that things are now mostly in electronic format.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to jcm1283

MVM

to jcm1283
I've recycled an unneeded desktop as a home server and another one to play with Ubuntu. But as others have said there is not much of a market for really old gear unless it has some historic or collector value. I've tried Craigslist without success to get rid of my old junk.

Our town has a tipping fee for ewaste. I just took a CRT monitor and old desktop to Staples. Store accepts computers even if you have not purchased it from them.

As far as software it typically just gets filed away - just in case. I even have a bunch of floppy software hanging around.

/tom
neobendez
join:2013-11-26
Belleville, ON

neobendez to jcm1283

to jcm1283
I can only imagine when they saw your list as scrap for gold.. Sadly,I don't think a lot of people will really take such..
Expand your moderator at work

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to jcm1283

Premium Member

to jcm1283

Re: What to do with old software and hardware

If anyone has a full retail version of ANY 64-bit Vista for sale, please PM me. Still looking for a copy.
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Does the 64-bit version of Vista require a special key? I'm pretty sure that Win 7 doesn't care about 32 vs. 64 bit. The key only determines what level you get, i.e. Starter, Home, Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

It is preinstalled with a COA and license key. Bottom line: I want to install Vista on a new(er) 64-bit PC -- legitimate copies of Vista are scarcer than hen's teeth. (Long story but I need Vista -- not newer.)

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

just to note, I immediately went to Win7 from Vista due to constant crashes. I could barely run the Vista (Bare) Professional for no more than 15min. unless you have SOLID drivers that have been fully tested, I would object even looking at vista. Just like win8, Vista, and WinME...
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
But that doesn't answer the question: Does the 64-bit version of Vista require a special key that is unique to the 64-bit install?

With Win 7 the same key will work with either of the 32-bit or 64-bit install. Have you tried to install 64-bit Vista on the new PC? Getting the install disk is easy, you just need a license key. Check out the right column here: »www.gegeek.com/documents ··· 807.html
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Same key for both, at least for Technet licensing.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Thats kind of surprising. VIC-20's were pretty useless.

VIC-20's make great controllers for automation projects.