Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

[HVAC] Clothes Dryer Vent Cleaning

Click for full size
back of dryer best picture i could get
Hi There All

Anyone know of a simple way to do it or is it best to have a professional company do it, i'll post a picture of what it looks behind the dryer in a moment. I know it's a fire hazard so got family to stop using it for the moment, but I don't know how long that is gonna last at all

P.S. Family currently has it plugged into a Surge Protector laying on top of the Dryer as well, not sure if that is a good idea or not

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

I would pull it out, takeout the old vent tube and install a new one. Easy as pie, no reason to hire a pro.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

Only issue is the vent pipe goes longer than that picture, goes from there to steel pipe to outside, at least 12 feet pipe, and i'm not sure if it's clogged in the longer part or not as yet

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Pull the dryer, get a long hose on your shop vac...

It's not complicated, more a pain in the ass, then anything. They also sell kits with small little tubes to help you clean the inner parts of the dryer itself at big-box stores... Lowes Depot, menards.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

Ok will look into those, and will get a long hose onto the shop vac--and doesn't sound too complicated, but knows it needs done...

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Pull the dryer, get a long hose on your shop vac...

+1

I was amazed at how much came out of the pipe

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to computerman2

That looks like a plastic hose. It should be changed out to an all metal hose.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to LazMan

And he'll have to also make sure he doesn't knock the gas pipe lose when pulling out and returning the dryer.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Gas hose is old -- I would replace it also. If there is a weak area in the old line, moving and flexing it could contribute to failure at a point in the future.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

reply to robbin

said by robbin:

That looks like a plastic hose. It should be changed out to an all metal hose.

Indeed, that metalized film flexible duct will melt and burn very easily and allow fire to spread much more rapidly than a proper all-aluminum duct.

In fact, it looks like there is quite a length of flexible duct. If possible, I would extend the rigid steel duct to get as close as practical to the dryer's exhaust, in order to use a flexible duct that is as short as possible. Even better, if you can manage to have steel duct all the way to the dryer, with no flexible duct at all, that is the ideal scenario.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to computerman2

I would pay for a pro to do it. They have the proper tools (very long brushes to reach into the ducts and a vacuum attachment that properly fits the duct).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to computerman2

Touching the gas pipe may also need a licensed gas fitter.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
reply to computerman2

»Dryer vent clean out

I bought something that works great!
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to computerman2

I had a pro come out and cleaned mine when the vent blocked, thankfully the lint only scorched on the surface and did not burn the house down.
The pro used a compressed air spinning head that destroyed the clog, and also used a massive high-flow vacuum pipe to pull the debris out. It still took 40 minutes to clean the vent. The lint was wet as all heck, which is why it was packed so tight in the pipe.
Sort of like the high pressure sewer cleaning truck systems except it uses air instead of water.

The cleaning kits sold at the big box stores work ok for vent maintenance if there is not a real clog but in my case the fiberglass shaft would fold and not dig through the clog.
Clean the vent every 5 years is the best advice I could give.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to computerman2

Every other year or so I take my Electric leaf blower, stick it in the vent tube, let it run a couple of minutes full blast, then go outside and clean up the yard. Haven't had an issue yet.

LinTFace

@199.116.116.x

said by netboy34:

Every other year or so I take my Electric leaf blower, stick it in the vent tube, let it run a couple of minutes full blast, then go outside and clean up the yard. Haven't had an issue yet.

+1 exactly how I do it. I use a dry wash-cloth to seal around the blower and vent hose so I don't get a face full of back-pressure lint.

trebacz
Premium
join:2003-01-03
Mchenry, IL
reply to computerman2

My suggestion would be to replace the plastic pipe with metal if you can get to it.

I bought one of those brush kits on Amazon ($30 now) and use my shopvac and a cordless drill. I wrote a blog post and shot a video of the process on my blog:

Cleaning your own dryer vent article and video link

It really only takes about 15 minutes once a year - and I have a really long dryer run. I've done it for the past 5 years. It's amazing how much lint I get out of my run each year.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to computerman2

Get this kit:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C···F8&psc=1

It has an adapter for your shop vac so while you clean from one end it's drawing it out the other.

And replace that flex crap with metal ducting, if you can.

Just want to add, I use this and it works really well. The brush is turned with an electric drill and easily breaks up lint built up at joint and elbows.
--
"Scientifically, no single episode of extreme weather, no storm, no flood, no drought can be said to have been caused by global climate change." - White House science adviser John P. Holdren

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

1 recommendation

reply to computerman2

Replace that plastic flex pipe with aluminum 4" dia. It's not that hard to do.