Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

[Service] Service active with no subscription

Hello all.

Was just shocked playing around with my radio in my truck to find my Sirius/XM service was still fully active.

For the life of me i cant remember when my year ran out that i had paid for if it did cut off or kept up. when i got the renewal letter i just stopped using it.

I haven't paid for it in two years. I get letters every other week about new deals they would like me to take advantage of with my radio ESN listed an all that jazz.

I thought maybe it was some type of preview of the service to entice me into subscribing again but for the last month its still active and doesn't have the scrolling screen with the telephone number.

Not complaining at all, im enjoying the freebie but was just curious if this happens a lot or maybe a reason as to why.

subscription
If it matters my radio is a Jensen JHD3620.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
Yes it happens quite frequently. Your receiver never got the 'kill' signal from Sirius XM, or at least not yet, and it will remain active until it does. The more you listen, the more of a chance it will receive the deactivation signal and you'll lose all programming but the preview channel. Some people lose programming right away, some it takes months or longer. The general common denominator is to leave the receiver off during the days following deactivation, but tune in enough and it will eventually get killed.

Back in 2003 I started my satellite radio life with the old Delphi SkyFi plug and play receiver and a year later replaced it with a SkyFi 2. I eventually got a home theater receiver with a built in XM tuner so I didn't need plug and play units anymore. I was using that original SkyFi that was deactivated in 2004, up until 2010 to access the hidden signal strength menus to fine tune and tweak my antenna on occasion and at that time I was still able to access all of the channels. My new home theater receiver has a Sirius tuner, so I have no reason to do that anymore, and I’m not sure where my old receivers are to try it.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

Keefer21

Hilton, NY
reply to Keefer21
Thank's for the reply Steve. hopefully my unit doesn't get the kill signal for a while then!

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Keefer21
IIRC they do eventually stop broadcasting the kill signal however the encryption key is periodically changed and is only pushed to actively subscribed units. That's when you'll lose programming.

kris tofer

@206.47.249.x
theres a free preview going on, however im not able to receive it but others on dhc have posted that their unactivated recevers work free until dec 5

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to pike
said by pike:

IIRC they do eventually stop broadcasting the kill signal however the encryption key is periodically changed and is only pushed to actively subscribed units. That's when you'll lose programming.

i beleive this applies to XM side hardware. Older sirius side hardware may be another matter. Once they stop sending the kill signal some of those old radios may run forever.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Keefer21
Are the free previews XM only? I have an XM radio that receives the free previews periodically, but my Sirius radio never receives one. It did turn on in full for a period of 3 months a couple years ago for no apparent reason, but other than that it has been dead.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to Keefer21
Interestingly my Sirius radio started working again this morning, in full.

Keefer21

Hilton, NY
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Are the free previews XM only? I have an XM radio that receives the free previews periodically, but my Sirius radio never receives one. It did turn on in full for a period of 3 months a couple years ago for no apparent reason, but other than that it has been dead.

I have no idea. Mine is a Sirius branded system?

silbaco
Premium
USA
said by Keefer21:

said by silbaco:

I have no idea. Mine is a Sirius branded system?

How old is the radio? My old Sirius radio has never received a free preview.

But it is back to being entirely free in full for some reason. It turned on when my two XM radios with previews turned off. Although I don't really use it since I have Rhapsody subscription with superior music selection and sound quality.

Keefer21

Hilton, NY
said by silbaco:

For the life of me i cant remember when i got it. Its old enough to at least just have just the sirius logo with the dog.

Its been on for maybe a month now so im thinking its fully active.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to pike
I'm surprised no one has defeated the system yet. I would have thought after all these years that there would be at least a demonstration at Defcon or something.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
That's most likely because breaking XM's encryption doesn't pose any security or privacy concerns; the only motivation would be theft of service. Furthermore, the receiver hardware is all proprietary so any exploit would have to be tailored to one specific device.That doesn't really fall within the scope of "grey hat" hacker activities.

Personally I would enjoy reading a white paper detailing the exact mechanism and it's weaknesses.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Yeah just my curiousity I would love to read how it works. Sure each radio is different, but there is a standard in the signal and how its authorized / decoded, as its the same service working amongst many different radio manufacturers.

The radio manufacturers must really think its good security because there's no SIM card type of slot for "renewable security". If its cracked they would have to hopefully be able to send ECM's down via software.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to Keefer21
said by Keefer21:

said by silbaco:

For the life of me i cant remember when i got it. Its old enough to at least just have just the sirius logo with the dog.

Its been on for maybe a month now so im thinking its fully active.

I found out why mine is fully active... sort of. I just received a "Welcome to SiriusXM" offer in the mail telling me I have my first 3 months of service for free. It's addressed to Monte (then my last name). I don't know anyone named Monte but apparently SiriusXM thinks he just bought my car and as a result activated 3 free months of service.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Monte... Carlo? Lol

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net

1 recommendation

What makes you think no one has defeated the XM system? I am a member of discussion boards where XM mods are posted all the time. The easiest one is to short a single pin of the programmable memory to ground, which prevents the chip from being written. There are other people who have extracted the keys. Just because it's not discussed on DSL Reports doesn't mean people are not doing it.

collector

@myvzw.com
I found 2 different sirius recievers an older sirius xm model and a newer one. They were intentionally thrown to the curb. Both have the basic 9.99 package.

There is only one channel I listen to during the evenings when I had sirius at home. Its not on there is there anybody or any way to add channels without having it cut off.